Favorite Game of All Time?

4 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Excluding 'The Long Dark' of course since, well, that's a no brainer.

Maybe this should be renamed "Second Favorite Game of All Time?" :P

So, I'm gonna have to go with The Oregon Trail.  I've been playing it my entire life, beginning on an Apple computer.  I still mostly play the original, but have two other PC versions.  I don't often go more than a couple of months without taking a ride down the trail, or a bunch of rides.  My friends and I still like to take rides down the trail, sipping on a few drinks and not so quietly rooting for one another to get cholera and die!  :D

I have played since 90's, every game has his moment, some games are unplayable now, so it is a tricky answer.. well, that is my list.

1_Out of this word (I have a remastered edition in steam)

2_TD1, TD2 y TD3 (1987 - 1990)

3_ The need for speed (94)

4_GTA 1; 3; 4; S.A and IV, (I start GTA 1 with a demo, runs for 2 or 3 minuts and stopped, then I get a full game)

5_X-wing

6_Sniper elite series (1; 2 and 3)

7_Hitman (series)

8_Monkey island and Maniac Mansion

9_Wolfenstein 3d

10_FIFA 94

The long dark is in the top 5, honestly I believe that the when developers finally release the final version, It will became the most played game that is for sure.. ( I hope)

Top 5!

1. Maniac Mansion (C64) This started my love affair with video games.

2. Phantasy Star I - IV - Such a good classic RPG for the Genesis. Wasn't big on the series that came after it.

3. Might & Magic VI, VII & VIII - I can't tell you how many times I've played through those 3 games. And it breaks my hear that 3DO went under. The new publishers have long lost the feeling and heart of the old games.

4. Star Ocean Til the End of Time - Not normally a huge JRPG person, but this one didn't shy away from pushing the boundaries. Also, has a super interesting take on the 'simulation theory' (The english voice acting was awful though for a lot of it.)

5. This War of Mine. 

1. Alpha Centauri

2. Deus Ex (the 2000 one, not the OK reboot)

And that's about it. I've found that I have lots of games in my collection that I like to play but, even after all this time, those are the two games that I always come back to. 

Honourable Mentions: Darkest Dungeon, Heroes of Might and Magic III, FTL, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 1, Fallout 2

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

1. Alpha Centauri

2. Deus Ex (the 2000 one, not the OK reboot)

And that's about it. I've found that I have lots of games in my collection that I like to play but, even after all this time, those are the two games that I always come back to. 

Honourable Mentions: Darkest Dungeon, Heroes of Might and Magic III, FTL, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 1, Fallout 2

Heroes of Might &  Magic III was also up there in my list of favorite games for sure. FTL is a great game too, I just suck at playing it. I'm terrible at the rogue like thing yet I keep trying!

12 minutes ago, Felli said:

Heroes of Might &  Magic III was also up there in my list of favorite games for sure. FTL is a great game too, I just suck at playing it. I'm terrible at the rogue like thing yet I keep trying!

FTL has an advanced mode now if you haven't played it in a while. Now there are even more ways to play (and die horribly!) :D

45 minutes ago, cekivi said:

FTL has an advanced mode now if you haven't played it in a while. Now there are even more ways to play (and die horribly!) :D

Oh boy! More ways to die! Hopefully when things settle down for me I can jump back into FTL and give it another go.

I love the Hitman series, both Deus Ex's, FO 3, NV and 4. Many of the games mentioned here I haven't played. I began playing video games on Atari but then fell out of it, for a long time. It's just been the last eight years or so that I've been back in. I've missed a lot but like mic said, a lot of the old stuff is unplayable now. To me at least. I know I've missed a lot but it's hard to play old stuff when the new stuff is so phenomenal and abundant. When you guys played those games, they were new and ahead of their time, but I missed all of that :( Now though, I have a great fondness for stealth. Hitman, Styx, A:I, Thief, Dishonored, DE, anything that can be played in stealth, and then if I want to replay them, then it's all guns blazing. I loved the TR reboot and also Rise. I also love survival but no other one but TLD keeps my interest for long, horrors and story driven games as well. Loved Dying Light a lot....but not sure which category that game falls under? Not too interested in the heavy war stuff or GTA, and stuff like that but there are a lot of mentions here I've never heard of that piqued my interest though. And yes, I liked The Evil Within, lol.

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Hm, that's a hell of a decision. Probably the whole Witcher series (especially W3: Blood& Wine), but it's an extremely close call with Dragon Age: Origins and Skyrim.

If you loved those games, you must have loved the Dark Souls series as well, no? I've got Skyrim and the remaster, and Enderal, but I played the Fallout's first so now Skyrim just seems like old-timey Fallout to me, lol, idk? I've started it and will eventually finish it someday.

Edit: and I mean 'old timey' as in 'older version of', not that it's medieval times.

8 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I got this on sale awhile back. Have not tried it yet. Something else always comes up.

It has been happened to me too.... I have played 2 times, but nothing serious... as you say, something else always comes up!

I feel your pain @SnowWalker and @mic .

My steam backlog is massive and every time I sit down to try a game, I usually end up being pulled away from it by something else.

When you get a chance to finally play it, the game is so worth it. Somber, challenging and replayable, I recommend it all the time to people

I have played or seen them all, since 1982. There really is no single best game, since there are so many different games, and some shine where others don't. Memorable all-timers, in no particular order:

• Lords of Midnight - never before or after has a game come with such a beautiful lore. Its gameplay design was unique and has never really come back in any game that was any good. The AI was absolutely amazing (not a true AI, but it made you think so), and - eat this - the whole game was working on 48 kb. I don't even know if that file size still exists today.
  • Unreal - yes, @Carbon, it came out shortly before Half-Life and introduced many of the "revolutions" that are now attributed to Half-Life. Unreal was the better of the two, above all when it came to atmosphere. In no other game have I felt so desperate and lonely. But well, Half-Life was excellent, too.
  • No one lives forever. No FPS game has ever been so creative and funny. The design! The style! The music! The famous plane level where you had to steal a parachute from a villain while plummeting towards the surface of the Earth. Unforgettable.
  • Mafia. Again, the music. And the story - as powerful as The Godfather, I would say. I spent hours just stealing cars and driving the around the city, whistling to the tunes of all the different quarters.
  • XCOM Enemy Unknown. Fairly new, and to me the mother of all strategy/tactical games.
  • Life is Strange. Yes, I cried.

Ach, I could go on...

12 hours ago, Hotzn said:

the whole game was working on 48 kb. I don't even know if that file size still exists today.

I remember 1gb hard-drive PCs and the games were kb sized too, lol. We say remember but it wasn't so long ago. The tech worlds move like greased lightning. Gaming, computers, phones, tablets, everything. I have 'Life is Strange' but I'm never able to get past chapter two. I don't know why. High school is way in my past and therefore, a little bit cheesy to me. I wish I had played some of the older games you mentioned. They seem like games I'd love. I wish they'd remake some of the older games that people seem to love so much.

23 hours ago, Hotzn said:

XCOM Enemy Unknown. Fairly new, and to me the mother of all strategy/tactical games

It isn't so new, I have played on my x80286, with 1024kb of ram and a huge hard drive with 40mb.. It was a great game, UFO.

@Felli Of course, I will start sooner or later, my list of games that I never use is large... it is like the hall of shame, I have games like Assassin's creed, GTA IV, The crew, Far cry, metal gear solid, and the list still grow on...

Archived