Leather clothes.

Pawel E Cieslak

While playing I've made it past 20 day mark and was keeping my clothes in high condition, due to low high-condition clothing spawn. I was finding even 15-20% clothes which I harvested and kept my main wear in 80s-90s, however around day 17-18 I was left with no cloth and 30+ leather. I thought I would be nice if you could find (or later craft) leather jackets, pants etc. They could usually provide low heat bonus, giving high windchill protection. Also a thick leather jacket could reduce damage taken while fighting with a wolf.

I think I read a post by Raph stating that making clothes using leather/ animal skins was something they were contemplating for the crafting skill.

Clothes made from deer skin (with the hairs still attached) could actually be pretty warm. Made from wolf fur even more so.

Along these lines, I think harvesting leather from dead deer and wolves should be modified slightly. Instead of obtaining 1-4 leather, you should instead be able to obtain 1 deer or wolf pelt. The pelt could then be used either to craft clothing or harvested for the original 1-4 leather for repairing. This way certain crafting recipes won't have to require a hodgepodge of X many leather from X many different animals. Instead, you would use a pelt as the base with X many leather or cloth as supplemental material.

Along these lines, I think harvesting leather from dead deer and wolves should be modified slightly. Instead of obtaining 1-4 leather, you should instead be able to obtain 1 deer or wolf pelt. The pelt could then be used either to craft clothing or harvested for the original 1-4 leather for repairing. This way certain crafting recipes won't have to require a hodgepodge of X many leather from X many different animals. Instead, you would use a pelt as the base with X many leather or cloth as supplemental material.

I like this idea, but it would require you to always take the entire pelt. The current system allows you to take as much as you need. Maybe it could be combined. When harvesting from a dead animal you could get the current options of 1-4 leather, and as a fifth option the entire pelt. Taking the entire pelt could then also take a bit longer, since you would need to keep it in one piece (cutting away 4 small pieces is easier then taking 1 large piece intact).

Not being a hunter and having never field dressed an animal in my life, it is difficult for me to say whether it would be easier to take the entire pelt or to take "pieces" of the pelt from a deceased animal. I would have to wonder about the danger of accidentally damaging internal organs with the hunting knife which might contaminate the meat (an added game mechanic that would sacrifice programming hours for realism).

Also, even though it would require skill to do so (skinning/butchering skill, Devs?) I think you should be able to use the entire animal, harvesting meat (by the half kg), hide (as a single pelt), offal/guts (by the half kg), and bones (as a single set of tiny/small/medium/large/huge bones). Bones could be used in crafting to create basic sewing and tool kits or for crafting or repair of other items, so I think it would be a good addition. The only foreseeable problem is the animal's carcass. Would it "disappear" once all meat, hide, offal, and bone were removed?

Archived