The Long Dark -- New Pricing Takes Effect on Steam

Admin

Hello,

As promised prior to last week's Steam "Midweek Madness" sale, the price for The Long Dark has now increased to $34.99 USD, or the equivalent regional pricing based on Valve's recommendations (which are in turn based on the relative buying power of your local currency). 

This price change has no impact on current Early Access players who purchased the game at the previous Early Access price. You will still get the promised content on our August 1st launch, as well as the remaining episodes of Season One: WINTERMUTE as they release, for no extra charge.

The previous $19.99 "Early Access Price" reflected the early Alpha state of the game when we launched it in September 2014. Since then, the game has received around 100 updates and a large amount of new content.

We feel this higher price point reflects the true value of the experience, both now, and for the first full season of WINTERMUTE, our story mode, the first two parts of which will launch on August 1st.

Please note that this will be the new price at our August 1st launch, barring any potential launch discounts.

For more information about The Long Dark, our launch plans, including pricing and included content, please visit www.thelongdark.com, or check out our FAQ.

Thank you for your ongoing support of our efforts.

- The Hinterland Team

On 05/05/2017 at 9:47 PM, admin said:

Hello,

As promised prior to last week's Steam "Midweek Madness" sale, the price for The Long Dark has now increased to $34.99 USD, or the equivalent regional pricing based on Valve's recommendations (which are in turn based on the relative buying power of your local currency). 

This price change has no impact on current Early Access players who purchased the game at the previous Early Access price. You will still get the promised content on our August 1st launch, as well as the remaining episodes of Season One: WINTERMUTE as they release, for no extra charge.

The previous $19.99 "Early Access Price" reflected the early Alpha state of the game when we launched it in September 2014. Since then, the game has received around 100 updates and a large amount of new content.

We feel this higher price point reflects the true value of the experience, both now, and for the first full season of WINTERMUTE, our story mode, the first two parts of which will launch on August 1st.

Please note that this will be the new price at our August 1st launch, barring any potential launch discounts.

For more information about The Long Dark, our launch plans, including pricing and included content, please visit www.thelongdark.com, or check out our FAQ.

Thank you for your ongoing support of our efforts.

- The Hinterland Team

I purchased the game from GOG in February 2016 and since then have got the updates from them as well,

Can you please tell me if I will also get the  promised content on the August 1st launch from GOG as well,

Thanks

On 5/6/2017 at 7:09 AM, Jytton Lames said:

"Relative buying power" - I've often wondered why 10 American dollars equalled 10 Euros on Steams special little planet. Cheers guys, worth every penny even without the Moose.

(A pox on you Steam!)

Steam abuses Australian customers the same way.. even after factoring in the current exchange rates, US customers can buy games around 20% or more cheaper than Aussies can.

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

Steam abuses Australian customers the same way.. even after factoring in the current exchange rates, US customers can buy games around 20% or more cheaper than Aussies can.

You are lucky, here in Argentina is the only thing that is normal, the wole universe of goods is around 70% more expensive, people here prefer to have holidays in other countries because of that.. of course, it is only for that ones could pay the plane tickets.. I envy you, Aussies have the maloo..

On 06/05/2017 at 10:51 PM, Mugger said:

I purchased the game from GOG in February 2016 and since then have got the updates from them as well,

Can you please tell me if I will also get the  promised content on the August 1st launch from GOG as well,

Thanks

Can someone please tell me why this question seems to be getting ignored?

If the answer is yes then great I am very happy,

If the answer is no then a small explanation would be greatly appreciated,

But to just ignore it is very unprofessional and slightly ignorant,

17 minutes ago, Mugger said:

If i were you i would just write them an e-mail: http://hinterlandgames.com/contact-us/

16 minutes ago, Mugger said:

I would imagine, since GOG is giving you the updates, then when the game is released, it would be updated to the full version, just as on Steam.

So far as "unprofessional" goes, that's because there are almost no "professionals" on this forum.. we're all ordinary people, like yourself.

There are some professionals who drop in on the board from time to time, but you generally have to get their attention, like this:

Hey @Patrick Carlson, can you let Mugger know what the situation is, regarding GOG and the full release, please?

23 minutes ago, Mugger said:

Most people won´t bother to answer your question with "I don´t know", when they just don´t know it, because that wouldn´t help you either. They wait for a person who can answer it. No need to assume ignorance and unprofessionality, just because we don´t answer a question we cannot answer. 

I would say if you got updates before, you will get updated in the future for sure. Be patient and relaxed ;P

1 hour ago, Mugger said:

Thanks for the question! Players who have purchased The Long Dark from GOG as an in-development game will get all episodes of Season One: WINTERMUTE (story mode) as they release, beginning with the first two August 1 2017. The remaining three are included as well in your purchase. It will be the same content as released for Xbox One, PS4 and Steam. This has always been the case for the GOG version, since we initially launched there. Nothing has changed!

Hope that helps and sorry there was a delay in responding. 

18 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the question! Players who have purchased The Long Dark from GOG as an in-development game will get all episodes of Season One: WINTERMUTE (story mode) as they release, beginning with the first two August 1 2017. The remaining three are included as well in your purchase. It will be the same content as released for Xbox One, PS4 and Steam. This has always been the case for the GOG version, since we initially launched there. Nothing has changed!

Hope that helps and sorry there was a delay in responding. 

Thank you Patrick that is much appreciated,

@JAFO & @June

I did not expect any other member of the forum to reply to me and therefore none of my comments where aimed at any individual (or collective) forum member, I would not expect anyone other than a member of Hinterland Team to have this type of information,

This is the second time I have asked this question and up untill now have never had a reply, And I suspect if it had not been for JAFO actually putting Patrick’s name in his post then I would not have one even now,

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

I would imagine, since GOG is giving you the updates, then when the game is released, it would be updated to the full version, just as on Steam.

I also expected (hoped) that this would be the case – but until it was verified then it is just speculation (hope) – and we all know what happens when we rely on speculation

@aurora

Thank you for the link

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 11:09 PM, Jytton Lames said:

"Relative buying power" - I've often wondered why 10 American dollars equalled 10 Euros on Steams special little planet. Cheers guys, worth every penny even without the Moose.

(A pox on you Steam!)

Steam (or whoever is the seller) can set any price they want (intentional or not). Its just your choice if you wanna buy then. This is how the market works.

27 minutes ago, exeexe said:

Steam (or whoever is the seller) can set any price they want (intentional or not). Its just your choice if you wanna buy then. This is how the market works.

Agreed.. that doesn't, however, make their behaviour ethical. Exchange rates exist for a reason.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:41 PM, Mugger said:

You get the content same as everyone; that's pretty much already covered in the FAQ. The admins may be a little behind on reading all the comments and posts so cut them a little slack. So be Happy!!:x

On 29/5/2017 at 1:37 AM, JAFO said:

Agreed.. that doesn't, however, make their behaviour ethical. Exchange rates exist for a reason.

eeh exchange rates are also subjective and driven by demand/supply mechanics. Example: if you have 2 exchange rate services in town you can check which one of them offer the cheapest service. 

1 hour ago, exeexe said:

eeh exchange rates are also subjective and driven by demand/supply mechanics.

Yes.. but Steam ignore the exchange rates and overcharge people in countries outside the US.. if they paid attention to the exchange rates, Steam games for non-US countries would be at least 20% cheaper.

Archived