A civilized discussion about the news...

Docterrok

1 minute ago, tnbp said:

This.

There is always talk about "immersion"-- but nothing breaks the idea of immersion faster than the idea that I can't defend myself with the simplest tool, ever.  I understand from a gaming standpoint that a spear might make defense too easy and maybe that's why they don't do it.  It also takes coding time and such.  I get that.  But it would make more immersive sense to be able to take a hatchet or knife, carve out/fire harden a spear, walk with it to reduce the possibility of sprains, and defend yourself against mid-sized wildlife.

I agree with all of this. I doubt that it'll be in the game by August 1, but I hope that it might be added later on.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cheered up out of my lungs as I read the exciting announcement. I am more happy to see Hinterland actually bringing the game to PS4 because that's where the real gaming starts for me away from my somewhat-potato pc.

Now, as for the updates:

Save system overhaul - I don't have any issue about erasing saves. In fact, I reached in the long dark to a point that there was nothing else to do and it slowly became boring, at least for me. Maybe that's because I was playing 24/7!!

NEW IU - I must ask Hinterland to consider implementing 2 options in "Settings". There you should choose "Classic" or "Modern". Classic as in, the OLD IU where we got those percentages and so on. Modern as in, the new IU. The new IU is cool but it seems the half of playerbase of TLD prefers the old IU.

Cartography - That will be a new reason to keep playing :P

Throwing stones and flares - Throwing flares existed before so that's nothing really new to me. But stones? Good idea! But I hope we will be able to make stone axes soon.

Carcass Quartering - I feel like this was my idea to be implemented in-game where you should be able to move carcasses to your house at stamina cost and Hinterland actually liked my idea. Maybe I am wrong? Eh, this is a good update anyway!

I do hope Hinterland will keep releasing updates after story mode launch and implement at least half of those roadmap features, especially cougars, moose, horses (to travel), wolf versus bear fights, wolf pack and sort of.

Aurora effects is confirmed to make appearance in sandbox mode. It will be added on story mode launch.

Hello, long time reader of these forums but the trailer has inspired me to dip my toe in.

After my initial disappointment of no new content, I watched the trailer again... and again and this has definitely got me hyped. 

So much cool stuff in there. Electricity! Not entirely sure this is caused by the aurora as some have stated. There are generators attached to a number of buildings which could be used possibly...

Music- clocked a speaker and a (smashed) iPhone - could be used to create a soundtrack!

Wolves hunting in packs are going to be pretty formidable. The point on farming rabbits making food easy to come by- maybe but will also attract the pack so the risk/ reward balance will be there.

The new locations and graphics seem amazing- can't wait to explore!

9 hours ago, tnbp said:

I understand from a gaming standpoint that a spear might make defense too easy and maybe that's why they don't do it.  It also takes coding time and such.

Not really, spear wont even need to be tweaked to fit it into game, as all you have is a pointy stick against small, intelligent(that makes it unpredictable) and extremely fast target. Hitting that would be extremely hard if spear were to be implemented even remotely realistic. And even if player do hit wolf, then it may be just a glancing hit, that will do no damage whatsoever, or do minor damage that will only enrage animal.

Everything takes coding. Only solution for it is not to do anything to begin with.

3 hours ago, Low Lander said:

So much cool stuff in there. Electricity! Not entirely sure this is caused by the aurora as some have stated. There are generators attached to a number of buildings which could be used possibly...

Aside from the fact that its a completely idiotic feature(as it simply defies laws of physics), yeah, sure, great.

Wolves hunting in packs are going to be pretty formidable. The point on farming rabbits making food easy to come by- maybe but will also attract the pack so the risk/ reward balance will be there.

I have a bad feeling than wolf behaviors will become even worse compared to what it is now. As wolves do not just stroll around in packs, only reason for whole pack to move out is if scout discovered worthy target that require presence of whole pack. But if it will become norm, then it goes beyond plausible behavior caused by increased aggression, into realm of pure fiction.

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Not really, spear wont even need to be tweaked to fit it into game, as all you have is a pointy stick against small, intelligent(that makes it unpredictable) and extremely fast target. Hitting that would be extremely hard if spear were to be implemented even remotely realistic. And even if player do hit wolf, then it may be just a glancing hit, that will do no damage whatsoever, or do minor damage that will only enrage animal.

Everything takes coding. Only solution for it is not to do anything to begin with.

I suppose it depends on your vision for the spear, to begin with.  I'd think that a spear might work like brandishing does, waving it back and forth at a distance to keep the wolf at bay, rather than trying to poke it.  And yes, of course everything takes coding: so a developer would have to decide where they want to spend that capital.  Do we spend time coding a spear mechanic?  Or do we spend that time coding something else?  That's my point.  You can't just create more time to do more things.  There's a trade off.  If they spend time coding a spear mechanic, what gets taken away from and do they want to do that, instead?

11 hours ago, tnbp said:

This.

There is always talk about "immersion"-- but nothing breaks the idea of immersion faster than the idea that I can't defend myself with the simplest tool, ever.  I understand from a gaming standpoint that a spear might make defense too easy and maybe that's why they don't do it.  It also takes coding time and such.  I get that.  But it would make more immersive sense to be able to take a hatchet or knife, carve out/fire harden a spear, walk with it to reduce the possibility of sprains, and defend yourself against mid-sized wildlife.

I made a video on this very subject...

I finally got around to watching your video, good doctor, and it was short, concise, and well done.  Spears would be superior to everything in the game right now to fight wolves coming at you.  The speed of the moving point of a spear is tremendous because of the leverage.  The ax would probably be next.  At range, of course the rifle would rule. Once the beast is upon you, I don't think any of them would be worth a damn other than a knife.  If we had a pistol, though, that would be great even if the mutt is biting on your ass.

I'm not a friend of casual gameplay. So i don't like the new hud (the radial menu is fine) and cartography at all.

The only thing i'm looking forward is throwing stones and flares. Hopefully this won't bring back abuseable tactics against wolves.

I'm still waiting on the ability to use fishing line for snares. yes yes, you can craft fishing line from guts and guts are used for snares, I know.

But you can also find the fishing line aswell. if I'm holed up in the camp office, I'd rather rig up a quick snare with a piece of reclaimed wood and fishing line, than take my chances trying to hit a rabbit with a rock..

9 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

I'm still waiting on the ability to use fishing line for snares. yes yes, you can craft fishing line from guts and guts are used for snares, I know.

But you can also find the fishing line aswell. if I'm holed up in the camp office, I'd rather rig up a quick snare with a piece of reclaimed wood and fishing line, than take my chances trying to hit a rabbit with a rock..

That's an opinion in how you want to play I suppose. Welcome back by the way, it's been awhile.

8 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

That's an opinion in how you want to play I suppose. Welcome back by the way, it's been awhile.

Good to be back. I've kept my eye on the game progress, mind you. just thought I could use a little vacation from the forums I suppose :P

@Patrick Carlson I have a serious question about the update, because I'm reading a lot of conflicting statements. I play TLD on XB1, and I know full release comes out Aug 1st. Is the "update" everyone keeps talking about coming to XB1/PC in the next few weeks or not? I keep hearing people say "test branch" is getting an update, but it's not really clear to me at this point (as an xb1 user) if I should expect an update in the next few weeks, or if I'll have to wait until 8/1/17.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify, sorry if this seems redundant...

2 hours ago, michael_martin said:

@Patrick Carlson I have a serious question about the update, because I'm reading a lot of conflicting statements. I play TLD on XB1, and I know full release comes out Aug 1st. Is the "update" everyone keeps talking about coming to XB1/PC in the next few weeks or not? I keep hearing people say "test branch" is getting an update, but it's not really clear to me at this point (as an xb1 user) if I should expect an update in the next few weeks, or if I'll have to wait until 8/1/17.

Test Branch is for Steam only as it is the only platform that supports it. Updates are usually in the test branch for 1-2 weeks to identify problems with the update so the dev team can fix them before rolling it out for all platforms. Once the test branch testing is complete the update will be finalized and go live on Steam, GOG, and be sent to Microsoft for validation and uploading. Typically there is a few days of lag for GOG and up to a week or so for X-box. 

4 hours ago, michael_martin said:

It is essentially as @cekivi indicates above. Xbox One players will get the FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER update at the conclusion of the test branch period -- we then schedule a certification with Microsoft, which can take up to 48 hours to finish. But it's coming! Plus, you'll get the release with all the fixes and tuning from the test branch already included. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

It is essentially as @cekivi indicates above. Xbox One players will get the FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER update at the conclusion of the test branch period -- we then schedule a certification with Microsoft, which can take up to 48 hours to finish. But it's coming! Plus, you'll get the release with all the fixes and tuning from the test branch already included. 

That's good to hear, I have a Mac, will it be laggy on the lowest graphics with the new update? I apologize, I don't know the specs, but its a fairly new Mac.

16 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

That's good to hear, I have a Mac, will it be laggy on the lowest graphics with the new update? I apologize, I don't know the specs, but its a fairly new Mac.

I don't know of any planned changes to our system requirements. We couldn't speak to your specific game performance without knowing your machine specs. 

If you decide to opt-in to the test branch, feel free to check out performance and share your experience with us, of course. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I don't know of any planned changes to our system requirements. We couldn't speak to your specific game performance without knowing your machine specs. 

If you decide to opt-in to the test branch, feel free to check out performance and share your experience with us, of course. 

Alright, Thank you!

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, tnbp said:

New maps will definitely be cool, if that's something that happens (but I guess I don't know whether it will be or not.)

Patrick just confirmed on another thread that Wintermute will see the introduction of two new maps, and both of them will be playable in Survivor mode.

Big news - I'm actually more excited for that than I am for Chapters 1 & 2 of Wintermute.

Link:

Archived