I feel sorry for Hinterland because of all this angry people. Without Raph and the others, TLD would never have seen the life !

Yes, they don't deserve it. All they have created is wondeful. Humans need calm, serenity and support to do the best. We don't shout against athletes to make them running faster, we encourage them. 

They are creating happiness, passion, dreams and emotions for people they do not even know ! What better aspect exists into humans than that share ?

So, respect them.

This started as a Kickstarter, then as an Early Release. People don't seem to get that "Kickstarter" and "Early Release" mean "This item may or may not ever come to reality. You just *might* be throwing your money away as you watch the company/person/project go bankrupt or just screw up so badly that they cannot finish what they promised you. And, in the event that they actually DO finish it, EXPECT delays!"

When you back a Kickstarter or Early Access item, you are basically gambling with your money. So far, I've been fairly lucky, but I know that I will get burned one day.

I backed a Kickstarter in February 2013 - pledging over $200 for a piece of software. Now, that software *did* come out, but not with all of the promised features (yet). Many of the major features are still a ways away. The leader of the team was in the hospital for about a week, they had to hire a new programmer, and on top of that, because of the way the ,NET framework works, the program has developed memory issues as it was written in 32-bit (this was 2013 and XP ruled. 64-bit wasn't a big deal back then and the developers didn't foresee this problem). So, now they may have to re-work some things and re-compile it into a 64-bit program in order to solve the memory issues.

I understand the frustration of waiting 3+ years. I understand wishing things would go faster. I DO understand! But when a person backs a Kickstarter or an Early Access, they are literally gambling their money. There are even warnings about this on both Kickstarter and Steam. Look at the "Challenges". Understand that delays happen and that if the item comes out at all, you've made a good investment. Not everyone is that lucky.

I'm not saying that people can't be disappointed or frustrated. What I just don't get is all the *anger* at the Developers. They have a release date now. They have commitments with Microsoft, Valve and Sony. They have a big update on the way within a month. If you don't like delays, potential loss of your money, promised features that don't get in, and so forth, may I humbly suggest that you don't invest in Early Access or Kickstarters. Wait until things come out, and then wait 6 months (at least) for major patches/fixes/etc. THEN, if you like what you see, buy it. But DON'T buy it because of any promised "upcoming content". Buy it "as-is".

I certainly hope they figure out a way to fix this PR problem they created. Wouldn't take much but they have to be concerned with shaking the STEAM monkey tree. Regardless of what developers say about STEAM/STEAM SALES, the heads up by players on STEAM Forums are a real danger for games if reputation goes sour. 

I am sorry for them too however this wasn't entirely out of their control. The countdown was their idea, the trailer their idea, the release date under their control, development fully under their control. Their public statements and timelines they issued and the general consensus that exists on those forums and communication channels is that their timeline continues to push back farther and farther into the future. 

Recall when this game was 3 months from being done in 2016. Or when there was a roadmap indicating another sandbox update prior to the story release. There is buzz circulating now that your purchase only covers episodes 1-2 now, and that episodes 3-5 are sold separately. I don't know if that is valid but certainly that sounds for those "early access" folks like it would feel like bait and switch.

Anyway the game is awesome, and the experience is real and valid, the difficult grim and the challenge varied, it just hasn't hit the potential many have hoped for. 

48 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

After the 2 Week timer Hinterland gave us. A 1 month timer, a sh***y new HUD and a trailer filled with 2D animations (because hinterland can't do 3D animations. It's beyond their skill level)

That's why a lot of people are angry. 

On 5/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, KD7BCH said:

I certainly hope they figure out a way to fix this PR problem they created. Wouldn't take much but they have to be concerned with shaking the STEAM monkey tree. Regardless of what developers say about STEAM/STEAM SALES, the heads up by players on STEAM Forums are a real danger for games if reputation goes sour. 

I am sorry for them too however this wasn't entirely out of their control. The countdown was their idea, the trailer their idea, the release date under their control, development fully under their control. Their public statements and timelines they issued and the general consensus that exists on those forums and communication channels is that their timeline continues to push back farther and farther into the future. 

Recall when this game was 3 months from being done in 2016. Or when there was a roadmap indicating another sandbox update prior to the story release. There is buzz circulating now that your purchase only covers episodes 1-2 now, and that episodes 3-5 are sold separately. I don't know if that is valid but certainly that sounds for those "early access" folks like it would feel like bait and switch.

Anyway the game is awesome, and the experience is real and valid, the difficult grim and the challenge varied, it just hasn't hit the potential many have hoped for. 

The Roadmap was never a roadmap. Nothing was ever confirmed. They were just ideas. They TOLD us that. And we took it the wrong way. We all thought that stuff was being implimented. So you can't say that the roadmap was a tool used to obtain hype in the community because it wasn't. 

Archived