Suggestion for survival skills

Moose

I don't know your long-term vision for the game in regards to skill sets and crafting and the like, but I was just thinking...

If you plan on adding crafting (like making a spear from a long branch and a knife, or fashioning a lean-to from a tarp, sticks, and rope, creating a dead-fall trap for game, etc.) perhaps a good way to introduce these survival skills to the player could be through a "survival manual". I was thinking individual pages rorn out of a "survival manual" could be found by the player in random locations. Each page would unlock a recipe for a new item that could be crafted. Afterwards, the page could be turned into tinder. After reading the page, the player would then have access to the new skill. This mechanic could be used to deny certain skills early in the game, and perhaps entice players to use new skills at a certain point in the game.

Just a thought.

Kind of reminds me of The Forest with its survival manual. What I think would be a nice skill would be weapon making. The hunting rifle should be the Holy Grail of all weapons. Instead you could make and use ranged hunting weapons like throwing spears or self-made bow and arrows. It would mean you would be able to hunt without counting every one of those precious bullets and also it wouldn't make near as much noise that scares deers away. As for other crafting you could go like full snow-Robinson Crusoe style. Apart from meat, hide and guts, you should be able to harvest animal fat to use as leather impregnate or refine it as fuel or cook on it.

Archived