Countdown

Admin

The statement came from this Raph fellow.  What more do people want?  You can certainly bash him personally no matter how the statement came to you.  Some of you people act like you'd do him physical harm over this, and that's the time you really need to step back, take a deep breath, and get a handle on your emotions.  This is, after all, a game.  If you're invested to the point of wanting to burn someone in effigy or attack them personally, you've truly gone beyond the pale.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Ok.. I think I understand what you were trying to say, now..

Not sure what to suggest to improve it.. I've been up all night waiting for the countdown to end.. (here in Australia it's now almost 7am Friday morning) and my brain is fried. I need to go sleep.

Yeah re-reading my original post I see that saying "Don't mind all the hate currently." right in front of what I meant to say could lead to reading it in a hateful negative tone.
All I meant to say was that it's about perspective. Lessons learnt for Blinkin.

It's 11pm in the Netherlands, time to go to sleep for me too. :P
Good night (or actually day to you) mate! :)

2 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

The statement came from this Raph fellow.  What more do people want?  You can certainly bash him personally no matter how the statement came to you.  Some of you people act like you'd do him physical harm over this, and that's the time you really need to step back, take a deep breath, and get a handle on your emotions.  This is, after all, a game.  If you're invested to the point of wanting to burn someone in effigy or attack them personally, you've truly gone beyond the pale.

I think you need to step back from bashing that strawman tbh

no one here wants to harm raph I almost guarantee. Part of me thinks he genuinely made a mistake, but it's a pretty convienent mistake in that case. He's not talking to us personally nor apologizing.

1 minute ago, Blinkin said:

Good night (or actually day to you) mate! :)

Good night to you too, mate. B|

(And for anyone who doubts how I feel about this game and its' future, AFTER all this countdown shit went down, I went and bought 2 mugs at Hinterland's store. What have YOU done to support Hinterland lately?)

Just now, ponyhidden said:

I think you need to step back from bashing that strawman tbh

The depth of feeling I'm getting leads me to think that my assessment isn't off, but different people might have different reads.  At any rate, while I won't apologize for the post, by which I still stand, I don't mean any personal offense to any individuals.  All's good by me.  I certainly don't want to add fire to the flames in a misguided attempt to calm them.  Anyhow, a few hours after the event it's probably air to say we should all take a step back and assess where we are.

Just now, Cantousent said:

The depth of feeling I'm getting leads me to think that my assessment isn't off, but different people might have different reads.  At any rate, while I won't apologize for the post, by which I still stand, I don't mean any personal offense to any individuals.  All's good by me.  I certainly don't want to add fire to the flames in a misguided attempt to calm them.  Anyhow, a few hours after the event it's probably air to say we should all take a step back and assess where we are.

It's all good

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Good night to you too, mate. B|

(And for anyone who doubts how I feel about this game and its' future, AFTER all this countdown shit went down, I went and bought 2 mugs at Hinterland's store. What have YOU done to support Hinterland lately?)

Thanks.

And good idea about the mugs! I need to check them out. :D

53 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

We're sorry you feel that way. Even if you don't see it now, or ever (which is fine, too), this is a huge day for the game and its development. We are launching on August 1. No more delays or mystery surrounding Story Mode -- it's coming. The community is a part of this -- (moving carcasses are coming, we're bringing back the throwing mechanic!)  

That being said -- we understand your frustration with how we chose to share this news. We've definitely taken that on-board this morning. 

I love the game. I love the trailer. I will play the game and will buy all the episodes.

The problem I'm having today, and the problem I think a lot of us are having, is that this was ridiculously avoidable. You guys read these forums and post on them a lot. You must have had a sense from this thread alone as to how excited we all were. "Are they gonna add the moose?". "Is it an update?", "it better not be a countdown to a countdown"

You say that you listen to us, but there's no point in that if you don't hear what we're saying. All that needed to happen was for one of you reading this to think, "these guys are really amped for the countdown, maybe we might just need to temper that a little or there might be a problem.."

The people who are on this forum are the guys and girls that bought your game. They love your game and are invested in it's progress. I don't agree with the negative reviews on Steam, but people are frustrated. We get that you guys are new to this, but we have been telling you what we've been expecting.  It's OK for you guys to mess up, but the point of these forums is that you get the chance to avoid a lot of them. The answers to a lot of the problems are here. in the community. We've put our faith in you, you chaps need to put your faith in us. 

I really do love the game :)

4 minutes ago, WearableBeef40 said:

I love the game. I love the trailer. I will play the game and will buy all the episodes.

The problem I'm having today, and the problem I think a lot of us are having, is that this was ridiculously avoidable. You guys read these forums and post on them a lot. You must have had a sense from this thread alone as to how excited we all were. "Are they gonna add the moose?". "Is it an update?", "it better not be a countdown to a countdown"

You say that you listen to us, but there's no point in that if you don't hear what we're saying. All that needed to happen was for one of you reading this to think, "these guys are really amped for the countdown, maybe we might just need to temper that a little or there might be a problem.."

The people who are on this forum are the guys and girls that bought your game. They love your game and are invested in it's progress. I don't agree with the negative reviews on Steam, but people are frustrated. We get that you guys are new to this, but we have been telling you what we've been expecting.  It's OK for you guys to mess up, but the point of these forums is that you get the chance to avoid a lot of them. The answers to a lot of the problems are here. in the community. We've put our faith in you, you chaps need to put your faith in us. 

I think most of us feel the same way, it's not that I dislike them as people or developers, what they need to do a better job at is not posting vague information or false promises. My dissatisfaction at the studio was not meant in a malicious way, rather I and thousands of other forum members want to hold them accountable for their actions.

8 minutes ago, WearableBeef40 said:

This is pretty well said, but when you look closely, there's a big rift between the "I'm sorry, we didn't mean this" and the actions they took. They were willfully and purposefully blind with their lack of communication. For a company that claims to engage with its community and appreciates and respects the level of discourse on these forums (and asks its members to draw people here vs Steam forums) it slapped that same community in the face by ignoring all of the posts we made in the lead up to the countdown timer.

If there was ANY level of respect, they would have stopped partway through and thought, "Hmm. People are really excited. We've never done a countdown timer. Expectations are really high. People are probably going to be really pissed when we yell 'SURPRISE! You're waiting longer!!!'"

But of course, that didn't happen. The community is furious at the lack of respect. Raphael apologies to try to do some damage control? Means very, very little when the company has a history of breaking its word. Try proving you're actually sorry with some action.

Sometimes announcements get negative responses, and that's fine, it's a personal opinion, but the fact is that hinterland is busting there ass and the hate they're getting isn't deserved. No promises were made, I don't see what the problem is.

4 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Sometimes announcements get negative responses, and that's fine, it's a personal opinion, but the fact is that hinterland is busting there ass and the hate they're getting isn't deserved. No promises were made, I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is their actions, and the decidedly different approach they took to this update at a time where there was strong reasonable expectation for an update with significance.

They played with the expectations of their loyal player base and used shitty marketing tactics to try to build hype without any information. And closed their eyes at any feedback that was coming in on a regular basis, presumably in the interest of making more sales. And after it blows up in their face, taking the "I'm falling on my sword - don't blame others, blame me" as a way to try to make you feel better.

No. You know what you did. You did it on purpose. Don't expect forgiveness from a community you treated poorly. If you want to fix what you did, do something more meaningful than a fake apology.

16 minutes ago, Bleys said:

This is pretty well said, but when you look closely, there's a big rift between the "I'm sorry, we didn't mean this" and the actions they took. They were willfully and purposefully blind with their lack of communication. For a company that claims to engage with its community and appreciates and respects the level of discourse on these forums (and asks its members to draw people here vs Steam forums) it slapped that same community in the face by ignoring all of the posts we made in the lead up to the countdown timer.

If there was ANY level of respect, they would have stopped partway through and thought, "Hmm. People are really excited. We've never done a countdown timer. Expectations are really high. People are probably going to be really pissed when we yell 'SURPRISE! You're waiting longer!!!'"

But of course, that didn't happen. The community is furious at the lack of respect. Raphael apologies to try to do some damage control? Means very, very little when the company has a history of breaking its word. Try proving you're actually sorry with some action.

Remember, they are working hard to deliver a polished product, I do agree this game has more growing pains than most, but I believe support, not hate, will produce the desired result.

1 hour ago, June said:

I´m gonna do this to my friends. I´ll say: in 22 days there´s something big happening with my band! And after those 22 days  i will announce the release date of our new album of next summer.

Bit dramatic don't you think? Next summer would imply 2018... we're talking 3 months and far less than that for the next major sandbox improvement.

I dunno.. I just don't get all the butthurt over this.

Just now, Docterrok said:

Remember, they are working hard to deliver a polished product, I do agree this game has more growing pains than most, but I believe support, not hate, will produce the desired result.

There was lots of support over the past four weeks during the timer. And the past two years, after repeated promises that went unfulfilled.

There's a time to be supportive and a time to stand up for yourself when someone's trying to walk all over you. This is when the community should stand up after the developer wipes its work boots on your back.

I have no doubt that this was intentional to get people to buy the game before the stupid countdown timer finished making people think the game was going to come out of early access and be released at full price, so in essence, Hinterland scammed steam buyers.  I cannot believe this community is filled with people defending such a deplorable move.

Just now, Piggy said:

But, they also did this:

Not sure how that's screwing people over, $20.00 for this game is damn well worth it.

Because they heavily implied that the game was going to be released with a load of new content, when in fact, they just built up a false hype train to generate sales, it is completely sinister, do not be a blind fanboy, these practices should NEVER be supported.

13 minutes ago, Loppysaurusrex said:

I have no doubt that this was intentional to get people to buy the game before the stupid countdown timer finished making people think the game was going to come out of early access and be released at full price, so in essence, Hinterland scammed steam buyers.  I cannot believe this community is filled with people defending such a deplorable move.

How is this  a scam, they offered early access pricing (for $20) and the game is going to be released in 3 months at a higher price. Remember, early access also gets free episode updates if I'm not mistaken?

In the end, $20 for this game whether it was 2 years ago or yesterday is still a great deal IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Loppysaurusrex said:

Because they heavily implied that the game was going to be released with a load of new content, when in fact, they just built up a false hype train to generate sales, it is completely sinister, do not be a blind fanboy, these practices should NEVER be supported.

Where did they heavily imply it was being released today with a load of new content?

Please don't call me a fanboy, I'm 40+ years old with more important things to be upset about than any video game I have to wait 3 more months for. Just trying to keep things light hearted and in perspective.

Just now, Piggy said:

Where did they heavily imply it was being released today with a load of new content?

Please don't call me a fanboy, I'm 40+ years old with more important things to be upset about than any video game I have to wait 3 more months for. Just trying to keep things light hearted and in perspective.

You just going to pretend that whole countdown didn't happen?  

3 minutes ago, Loppysaurusrex said:

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence, as the saying goes.

They offered the game at half-price during a midweek sale for crying out loud; anyone who was smart enough to buy the game for ten bucks will get more than his money's worth: remember, you still get the Sandbox + the entire first Season of Story Mode for that price. Even at $20 bucks you'd still get great value for money. The game will be offered for $35,- soon, so I don't see the 'scam'.

No, my problem with Hinterland is not that they 'scammed' anyone out of their money. My problem is: time and again, they raise unwarranted expectations by floating around ambiguous bits of information on things 'around the corner', only to act surprised when the community lashes out in frustration and disappointment when those expectations turn out to be way overinflated.

You'd think Hinterland would learn from such experiences and temper such expectations when the crowd goes into some messianic fever about what this sign or that omen might mean, but no...

1 minute ago, TWM said:

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence, as the saying goes.

They offered the game at half-price during a midweek sale for crying out loud; anyone who was smart enough to buy the game for ten bucks will get more than his money's worth: remember, you still get the Sandbox + the entire first Season of Story Mode for that price. Even at $20 bucks you'd still get great value for money. The game will be offered for $35,- soon, so I don't see the 'scam'.

No, my problem with Hinterland is not that they 'scammed' anyone out of their money. My problem is: time and again, they raise unwarranted expectations by floating around ambiguous bits of information on things 'around the corner', only to act surprised when the community lashes out in frustration and disappointment when those expectations turn out to be way overinflated.

You'd think Hinterland would learn from such experiences and temper such expectations when the crowd goes into some messianic fever about what this sign or that omen might mean, but no...

It's not a scam in that they won't get their money's worth, it's a scam in that they duped people into thinking it was going to release and all the people who were curious about the game went out and bought it only to be slapped in the face with a 3 month waiting time.

Archived