Countdown

Admin

10 minutes ago, Amazombie said:

not the end of the world, but it will hit them , so far 11 neg reviews just today and i think they all reference the countdown , as a reason. valid a reason or not depending on your point of view its still happening. and thats only in the 90 mins or so since this was done, i have a feeling it will grow. 

I personally feel all those who ran to give it a negative review are overreacting to the point of being peevish.

What's 3 months... Hell its Summer time (in the northern hemi), go out and enjoy the warm weather for a bit... Winter will be back sooner than you know!

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Patrick Carlson said:

We hear your frustration. We also hope you get a chance to dive into the news we've shared today, what it means for us (the studio *and* the community), and Raphael's thoughts on the road so far. We've come a long way and we're very close now. 

@Patrick Carlson, I have deleted my post which reflected my frustration. I didn't want to share it anymore in fact. The news I've seen and the trailer, and your work for this wonderful game are so good that i shoud not complain about it. Sorry. I'll dive into the next steps of the update.

Hello, Hinterland!

I took 2 days vacation for nothing. Yes, you don´t say what we have to expect when the clock runs down, but I think that I´m not the onlyone who thought that something more than usual will happen with this great, mystic countdown. And now I´m really pissed and I feel fooled by your company. What did you do the last four months? You nearly said nothing for three months but words of appeasement and when you realized the impatience of the players you released this countdown to keep the players quiet for one month longer - all to deliver this video in the end? Ridiculous^^ Ok, maybe It´s not that bad for somebody but for me it´s by far not enough. The PS4players you won today you will loose in the PC-corner. But it doesn´t matter for you, because they payed already, ha?;)

I like the game and your work. Its just the point, that I feel fooled by the countdown. Just try to be honest with us and don´t do such dumbass-moves. You ruined my day, switched my real, honest anticipation for the game into fury and changed my attitudes to Hinterland much. And everyone who is satisfied with the shit that has been delivered here today has no cut or balls, however you say that in english. This is my opinion.

Greets from Germany     

22 minutes ago, Cantousent said:

I think giving a bad review to a game based not on the game itself or the gameplay but on your beef with how the developers handle announcements isn't just bad form, it's also counter-productive.  I understand that people feel it's their only way to get their point across, but it also muddies the water in terms of what a review is supposed to do.  Namely, tell people what to expect in the game, not whether you want to march on Hinterland's headquarters because they flubbed the countdown.

I would agree with you if it was not an EA game. But when you buy EA you are not just buying a game, you are also supporting the development process. And this "idea" or whatever you want to call it is part of the development and is fair game to be criticized in the reviews. I will gladly turn my review back to positive if / when the game fully releases as thankfully Hinterland seem to be better at developing games than marketing them.

1 hour ago, Willkwi said:

Speak with your steam reviews, guys - I really hate to do it, but at least for me, I can no longer recommend this game.

Take a moment and think calmly here. For someone wishing to spend the money for a good time with the sandbox, can you recommend the game? Remember, Early Access should never be bought on what is promised, only what is there. For me, what's there already, is well worth the money.

I realise Hinterland have been complete clods with this countdown, but it hasn't changed my opinion of the game as it stands whatsoever. If they introduce game mechanics later that somehow ruin the existing gameplay, only then would I change my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Nervous Pete said:

Take a moment and think calmly here. For someone wishing to spend the money for a good time with the sandbox, can you recommend the game? Remember, Early Access should never be bought on what is promised, only what is there. For me, what's there already, is well worth the money.

I realise Hinterland have been complete clods with this countdown, but it hasn't changed my opinion of the game as it stands whatsoever. If they introduce game mechanics later that somehow ruin the existing gameplay, only then would I change my opinion.

Yes, I get what you're saying, absolutely - and if you feel like you want to continue backing Hinterland, I truly, wholeheartedly respect and support your decision, but the nearly-double jump in price today with still no deliverance on promises from 2014 just doesn't allow me to do that in good conscience.

It's good I am definitely not here to enjoy their marketing strategies. I am here to enjoy their game, and it's been one of the most satisfying ones to date. Hell, I've been playing for months and months, have progressed far in various interlopers, and today I've still got that adrenaline rush while being chased by a bear, getting inside a fishing hut in the last second. It doesn't matter other games I play, I keep going back to The Long Dark, and I'm sure I'll be here for the next Sandbox update and for the launch of Wintermute. I think most of you will be here too, because... confess it, you like this game... yes, I think you do.

Today they didn't release anything. Well, I still did get to discovered 'Agnes Obel - The Curse' song. I didn't know this band and I am enjoying their songs so far. Nice finding :)

I dunno Willkwi to me the price seems very reasonable in a time and age when one can easily spend 60 bucks on a AAA title. And once again I think plenty of people who didn't get in on early access would and will gladly pay $34.99 for a game as singular and awesome in vision and design as TLD is.

For us who came in EA there is absolutely no valid reason I can fathom for writing a negative review...especially seeing we now have an absolute release date.

1 hour ago, Calico Jack said:

That countdown was either a seriously cynical piece of marketing or a equally serious miscalculation about the level of dedication within the TLD community.

I'd definitely go for serious miscalculation, but as far as serious miscalculations go it does seem to be up there with the "Getting involved in a land war in Asia" kind of miscalculation.

I'm officially addicted to the new trailer, seen it twice. The art, the voices, the music. The old man at the end reflect the spirit of what I love. I think Hinterland members are very interesting and inspired people, sublimated by Raph himself. Thanks to hinterland to have created this universe. he dream continues on earth.

4 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I dunno Willkwi to me the price seems very reasonable in a time and age when one can easily spend 60 bucks on a AAA title. And once again I think plenty of people who didn't get in on early access would and will gladly pay $34.99 for a game as singular and awesome in vision and design as TLD is.

For us who came in EA there is absolutely no valid reason I can fathom for writing a negative review...especially seeing we now have an absolute release date.

In the spirit of fairness, they gave us an absolute release date in 2015 too.

Thank you for your opinion, though, and if you can still support Hinterland, I truly, wholeheartedly respect your decision :)

27 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

We hear your frustration. We also hope you get a chance to dive into the news we've shared today, what it means for us (the studio *and* the community), and Raphael's thoughts on the road so far. We've come a long way and we're very close now. 

What befuddles me is that you guys - the community engagement officers I mean - could've seen this frustration coming for weeks on end and did little to nothing to prevent it.

Which begs the question: what stopped you guys from relaying clearly to the community boards that the countdown merely pertained to the launch of a new site, and nothing more? It would've probably spared Hinterland 90% or more of today's backlash.

I'm really curious as to the office politics on this one...

EpicAtfirstFacepalm-1.jpg~c200

28 minutes ago, MueckE said:

Most people prefer beeing treated well and getting an average product over beeing treated like shit for a good product, especially if you even don't know the quality of the product.

That's a little much. Hinterland treats the community extremely well - just look at the game as a reflection of that. A large part of its current state is based on how open and reactive they are to community feedback. 

This was a (major) marketing mis-step. It clearly wasn't motivated by malice or an intentional disintest in community feelings, and they are a long way away from anything remotely resembling 'treating the community like shit'.

3 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

i agree with you on the price, however i disagree on the review point. I understand the argument of its about its game play. However for me, when I look at reviews I tend to find those that have other information like development, promises etc very useful. I may not want to put my money on a game where the development team may be flaky or updates delayed or on other things. i think its very relevant actually 

2 minutes ago, TWM said:

What befuddles me is that you guys - the community engagement officers I mean - could've seen this frustration coming for weeks on end and did little to nothing to prevent it.

Which begs the question: what stopped you guys from relaying clearly to the community boards that the countdown merely pertained to the launch of a new site, and nothing more? It would've probably spared Hinterland 90% or more of today's backlash.

EpicAtfirstFacepalm-1.jpg~c200

Exactly what I was thinking....  Most of the community knew this was going to happen and the lack of damage control from Hinterland amazes me

i havent been around enough in a long time to know what was known before this, but the fact ralph addressed seems to me they should have seen it coming. 

so why not even package up half an update "here is some new items to keep you going" something so that we wouldnt just be left with nothing. just let us put the tip in :P 

http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html

(Please don't do this again Hinterland. I don't think my heart can stand this again.)

I'm going to try and sound like a devil's advocate right now. 'Cus I'm an eternal optimist.

We're getting a test branch in a couple weeks, for an update we may not necessarily want, but one that I agree we need. We're going to be getting some (Preferably not as intense) marketing up to the august 1st release.  We've gotten more info and a trailer on Wintermute. Sure, we haven't gotten the sandbox update proper yet. But I ain't getting off this ship 'til it reaches destination.

I'm just going to wipe away the tears and take it in my stride. I'm still going to haunt the wish list and procrastinate my fan-fiction. Though we've gained only little, we haven't lost anything either.

4 minutes ago, TWM said:

Here's one of the answers:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1326718197208759996/

Whoever wrote it, is in my opinion 100% right.

I know this is not even close, but: when Duke Nukem Forever got out, the reaction was: "Oh, great. Finally. Give me a cup of tea and some other decent game, please".

I think we should wait till end of may and don't bitch around.

Yeah I know, I am disappointed too, we should not be this way and let the developers do their job.

I am pretty sure that Raphael won't start another countdown again, so keep calm and loot some stuff till August.

Calm down and support the development is the best thing we can do.

2 minutes ago, LloydNoise said:

I'm just going to wipe away the tears and take it in my stride. I'm still going to haunt the wish list and procrastinate my fan-fiction. Though we've gained only little, we haven't lost anything either.

Damn, forgot about my fan-fiction! I really should pick that up again, even though my early estimate of it being set in the early nineties is apparently hilariously off. 

9 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I'm officially addicted to the new trailer, seen it twice. The art, the voices, the music. The old man at the end reflect the spirit of what I love. I think Hinterland members are very interesting and inspired people, sublimated by Raph himself. Thanks to hinterland to have created this universe. he dream continues on earth.

Aye, the trailer is great and does indeed have me excited. I've only watched it twice so far, trying to ration myself, but it's already given me some ideas for the fan-fiction. I think world design is Long Dark's strongest suite, and the glimpses of the new and reworked areas look very rewarding. Since we know nothing as to how well they'll do the script-writing I'm a little more nervous about the NPC's, but I'm sure it'll be fine. It's annoying, if they'd just released exactly the same information and trailer, but without the countdown, I'm sure everyone would have been quite chipper. 

Archived