Nature fridge

AngelOfAttack

I think you should have the following three options to store food outside to make it degrade slower:

1. Just drop it outside; will slow the degrading, but wolves (and or other animals) could "steal" your food.

2. Use outside containers such as a metal box; slows the degrading and animals can't get to it, but you need to find a container.

3. Use a bearbag (bag strung up somewhere like in a tree); slows the degrading and animals can't get to it, but you need a rope and either a bag or some cloth (to wrap the food in).

Storing raw (or cooked) meat outside in a container does make it last longer already. Find yourself a box (or frozen corpse) and store the meat there and it will have a very low decay rate. Now there just need to be more outside containers, or, even better, the ability to take that metal or plastic container I find in random locations outside to use that.

[spoil]Trappers homestead has a backpack outside, up on the ridge behind the house. That will hold 20kg of meat![/spoil]

I wouldn't try to drag that safe out (and possibly injure my back, that thing looks heavy!) when I could just as easily take one of those metal containers under the bed.

True, they would be easier! But I think if there were bears around, those metal containers would not be proof against them. Likewise with human scavengers, but a safe isn't something someone can just carry off and if they don't know the combination they can't steal your meat either! Hence my thought of using the safe rather than another container :)

I wouldn't try to drag that safe out (and possibly injure my back, that thing looks heavy!) when I could just as easily take one of those metal containers under the bed.

True, they would be easier! But I think if there were bears around, those metal containers would not be proof against them. Likewise with human scavengers, but a safe isn't something someone can just carry off and if they don't know the combination they can't steal your meat either! Hence my thought of using the safe rather than another container :)

It's true that a safe would be safer against large animals like bears. I've seen the damage bears can do to cars when they're trying to get to the food withing them, a simple metal container would probably pose no difficulty to them. But for bears or any other animal I would simply use a bear bag. If you use the camp office as your base, why not simply put all your food into a backpack and hang it out of the upstairs window? It would be safe from animals (although it might not be high enough against bears, don't know)

But as the game is now, it doesn't matter whether you place your meat in a backpack, plastic or metal container. Animals will leave it alone anyway. Although I've read that metal containers that are outside have the same decay rate as inside. If that's true, better not use those.

Archived