Wolves are Still Too Numerous and Vicious

Pharose

I find the wolves in FM to be really irritating.  In other maps if you're clever you can get to where you need to go and generally avoid the furballs if you don't want to tangle with them.  In FM the isn't really the case. There's wolves in all the travel paths. They also seem to respawn very quickly, perhaps because there's some many of them so close to each other that they don't have to migrate far.  Even with leaving the corspes partially salvaged.  I've also had the bleed out problem (where the wolf doesn't bleed out) in FM but not on any of the other maps (recently).  

For the bleed out problem, are you certain that you are getting a non-graze bow or gun hit?  I have more of a problem with grazes against bears, but it happens with wolves sometimes too.  

If it is happening after a struggle, are you sure you are fighting with a weapon that can cause blood loss?  I think it takes a lucky roll during a struggle for heavy hammer, stick or bare hands to cause bleeding.

It is fairly easy to get from the region entrance to the homestead without running into any wolves, but in general yeah.  A big part of the problem seems to be that most of the spawns are packs of 3.  

On 4/22/2017 at 2:47 AM, mattyboi said:

Also, to be very nitpicky, it was Roman velites wore the wolfskin headdress; Centurions wore helmets with transversal crests to distinguish themselves from other infantry.

On that note, how about being able to forge Roman armour at the Homestead?

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

On that note, how about being able to forge Roman armour at the Homestead?

In theory, once you have a forge, you should be able to make anything from the iron age. In practice, I don't even want to know how much leather/scrap metal/hours the game would require of us in order to make Roman segmentata armor.

10 hours ago, mattyboi said:

In theory, once you have a forge, you should be able to make anything from the iron age. In practice, I don't even want to know how much leather/scrap metal/hours the game would require of us in order to make Roman segmentata armor.

Not to mention how cold and impractical it would be in the game's environment. Northern Canada is not Italy :) 

15 hours ago, cekivi said:

Not to mention how cold and impractical it would be in the game's environment. Northern Canada is not Italy :) 

True, although, Roman soldiers wore armor everywhere including some colder locales (Britannia, Gaul, Germania, etc). They wore a layer of cloth padding (subarmalis) underneath as well, so it wouldn't have been direct metal-to-skin contact.

My bigger concerns would be A) the weight of the armor, and B) the time and materiel required to create the armor, and C) the time and materiel to maintain the thing and keep it from rusting and losing its protective quality, not to mention losing it's mobility, and becoming functionally worthless. Even Roman soldiers didn't wear their armor when out foraging, probably for these reasons.

The idea is, however, very entertaining to think about in TLD.

On 2017-4-21 at 5:47 PM, mattyboi said:

Also, to be very nitpicky, it was Roman velites wore the wolfskin headdress; Centurions wore helmets with transversal crests to distinguish themselves from other infantry.

True, but I think I had the centurion mixed up with the vexlliarius (totally had to google that lol).  

vexilarius1.png

Thing is, wolves seem to have three modes to approach once they lock on you: slow, fast and charge. Every time you get too far away from it, it'll move from slow to fast to shorten the distance. The problem is that whenever it switches to fast mode, it approaches too much to you, increasing the risk of beginning the charge mode. So the best idea is to avoid the fast mode as much as possible. Moving backwards facing the wolf is the best way for me to sustain the slow mode as long as possible.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:41 AM, Pharose said:

True, but I think I had the centurion mixed up with the vexlliarius (totally had to google that lol).  

vexilarius1.png

I can't be completely sure, but that might not be a genuine Roman-era photograph.

Archived