Share your IRL TLD scenes!

Guest emily_hinterland

Guest emily_hinterland

Hey Hinterlanders!

My city (Toronto) just got its first major snowfall this weekend, much to my delight because I adore snow. I was down by the lake, staring out at the Toronto Islands when I felt like I had walked right into a scene straight out of TLD. So I just had to take a picture:

W4ZV

If I was Mackenzie, would I be ballsy enough to try to cross the frozen (or seemingly frozen) lake? Or if I had the right supplies, maybe try some ice fishing?

Winter's almost officially here and for those of you who live in colder parts of the world, I'll bet many of you are seeing potential IRL scenes that could totally pass for a scene in TLD. If do you, snap a pic, describe the scene, and post it here to share with us!

And for those of you who live in perpetual warmth/land of no snow, I'd love to see you share images you may find of the wintry wilderness that make you think of TLD :)

Guest emily_hinterland

@robdoar, Wow! Is this from the course you mentioned in another thread? Where exactly is this? How cold was it? Did you hunt? Tell us more!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest emily_hinterland

@bbennett2 Sometimes I can't believe the aurorae are even real. One of these days I'll experience it myself!

@robdoar Even without converting to metric, I can see that's pretty damn cold! How'd it go? Is that the typical temperature for your winter survival course? I hear the US midwest is in the middle of a polar vortex...

Guest emily_hinterland

Toronto got hit with an insane ice storm a couple of weeks ago and tens of thousands of people lost power. I was supremely lucky and didn't lose power, though I definitely got some beautiful, but dangerous TLD vibes from the whole thing.

And, like most people who had a powered-up smartphone at the time, I took a picture.

WHWD

@robdoar Even without converting to metric, I can see that's pretty damn cold! How'd it go? Is that the typical temperature for your winter survival course? I hear the US midwest is in the middle of a polar vortex...

Coldest I've ever spent the night in.

at -40 C and F are the same. :-)

Guest emily_hinterland

Oh man, @robdoar, my brain must have been frozen from the polar vortex to not catch that ;)

@R_R, is that your photo? It's stunning, regardless!

I went on a hike on Monday with my fiancé and my husky/golden retriever puppy. At one point in the hike we had to cross an old railroad bridge. The bridge was about 20 feet above the stream and there were gaps between the railroad ties which made crossing it a little scary. I carried the dog and when I got about halfway across I heard my fiancé crying. I looked back and saw her frozen in fear. I completely forgot about her fear of heights! Needless to say I ran back, and we took a four mile detour to a road crossing. The experience definitely got me thinking: what if we had to cross that bridge? We were lucky that it was 45 degrees outside and sunny... The next day it was 8 and we got 7 inches of snow. If we had been out in that weather, hiking an extra 4 miles isn't really an option. I think back to that moment standing on the bridge, holding my 60 pound puppy and seeing the terror in my girls eyes and I wonder what I would have done if our lives depended on getting across that bridge. It's possible scenarios like that one that I think are going to make this game so much fun to play!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived