[Exploit Found] Use of Sleeping Bag as Light Source

Deathdealers747

Hi, Devs/Forum Mods. I have no possible idea of how you guys can fix this exploit that I found, but I thought I'd report it, anyways.

So, in other games, a common exploit to counteracting Darkness is by changing the Gamma. You can't do that here while in-game, which is good, but you can use the Sleeping Bag placement to determine your surroundings in total, pitch-black darkness. You can use the Menu to bring it up, then purposefully never attempt to place it down - even when in "red" (indicating that it cannot be placed down) it'll reveal surrounding furniture legs, outline, etc.

Maybe they could do what they do with breaking things down and say that it's too dark to place an object and make the player use a light source before they can put down the bedroll.

Something I've done at times for some free light is use the striking animation of the lamp over and over to create light without using fuel, that's something that might need adjustment as well.

55 minutes ago, writeright1 said:

Maybe they could do what they do with breaking things down and say that it's too dark to place an object and make the player use a light source before they can put down the bedroll.

Something I've done at times for some free light is use the striking animation of the lamp over and over to create light without using fuel, that's something that might need adjustment as well.

My understanding is that clicking the lamp DOES use a small amount of fuel.

I'm not sure that this is really an exploit.  In real life you'd be able to feel your way around, you would know if you were against a wall or a cabinet, say.  In game you don't even know if you're actually walking or just pushing against the cave/dam wall.  This just lets you "grasp around" a bit, and it doesn't seem to me like a huuuuge advantage.  Although to be fair it hadn't occurred to me to use it this way, I'll call it a "good tip" for now.  :)

I wouldn't want them to require a light source to drop a bedroll, because that doesn't make much sense from a realism standpoint, and would be a real pain when you just need to sleep in a dark place.  You either need to expend resources just to lay out a sleeping bag, or worst-case if you have no light sources, you'd have to wait it out.

On 2/14/2017 at 1:03 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

Good point. Perhaps a limit on time to place and number of subsequent attempts? Bottom line if someone chooses to get around it they will. It is up to the player to abuse exploits or not. 

59 minutes ago, writeright1 said:

Personally, I'd hate the idea of requiring light to place down a bedroll. I like AZHockey's idea of a time limit, but don't like the idea of limiting subsequent attempts.  

This exploit can be used and I confess to implementing it.  I was stuck in a mine and the brand rolled down a slope and was not able to light the torch.  I used the burnt brand and like a cane for the blind was able to negotiate and find the exit.  I do not use this technique as much now.  Maybe now I am better prepared. 

Using an item to guide in the dark equates to a tactile experience.  Personally I hope there is some expansion into the idea of exploring around in the pitch dark.  An example is using a ball of twine to lay out a route inside of a mine.

Wouldn't there be chance of going boom if you lit anything in a coal mine?

1 hour ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

Using an item to guide in the dark equates to a tactile experience.  Personally I hope there is some expansion into the idea of exploring around in the pitch dark.  An example is using a ball of twine to lay out a route inside of a mine.

Something like this might be neat.

4 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Wouldn't there be chance of going boom if you lit anything in a coal mine?

Depends on ventilation and luck. The thing that goes "boom" in coal mines is methane gas. Walk into a pocket of it at the right fuel:air ratio with an ignition source and you'll blow up the entire mine! Mines are actually very dangerous and downright eerie if you're down in one without a light source. If you have the opportunity I recommend taking a tour. For the purposes of the game though they do make for an interesting setting so the reduction of realism is definitely worth it.

• 1 month later...

There should be a better way to navigate in total darkness. Some form of visual "tactile" clue. Currently, there is now way to even tell where the cursor is point; it can be pointing straight up or down. If you try to light the lantern, at least, that automatically levels you.

Archived