The Hunted: Great Bear Island Tour

Timber Wolf

Warning: There are SPOILERS throughout!

I take the Old Bear on a tour of Great Bear Island. 

Day 1 - Starts off as usual.  I take care of the wounds and immediately sleep for 6 hours, then wake up and loot the basement.  I harvest the ruined clothing and repair what I can and then sleep for 9 hours.

Day 2 - I wake up to a blizzard.  I’m not too worried about OB during a storm, so I grab everything outside of the basement.  Then grab everything from around the nearby burned down house and return to the basement.  I sleep for one more hour to warm up and the blizzard ends.  I poke my head outside and see OB in the direction I want to go, which is down to the ropes.  So, I go back inside and harvest tinder from the remaining cardboard boxes and then sleep for one hour.

When I look outside, I don’t see OB and I don’t hear the birds, so I go for the ropes.  I make it down them both and into the cabin to warm up a little.  I leave and head out straight for the river and spook a deer.  The sound of a deer running takes on a different meaning when playing with OB, because it sounds a lot like when he is running.  I make it to the river and head down to the turn that leads to the Farmhouse.  Just as I’m getting there I hear the birds squawking, so I run a little.  Then, just over the wind, I hear his grumbles, so I sprint down to the bridge and then spin around with flare gun pointed back.  I keep walking backward until I get to the opening and then sprint again straight to the Farmhouse. 

I spend the rest of the day looting the Farmhouse and repairing clothes.

Day 3 – I spend the first part of the day repairing clothes and deciding what to drop, as I am carrying way too much.  Just as I’m ready to go, a blizzard sets in.  I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.  I sleep for 2 hours and then take a look outside.  The blizzard has passed, but OB doesn’t like the idea of me leaving now, so I go sleep for another hour.

day 3 farm.jpg

I go out to the porch and don’t see any sign of him, so I walk over to the shed.  Still nothing, so I quickly make my way across a foggy field to the Barn.  I loot the place and find the knife!  My favorite.  I go outside with 2 hours of daylight left and see him by the shed, but he doesn’t seem to be in terminator mode.  
tld 2017-02-07 13-53-03-24.jpg

Well, what the heck I go for it and run off toward the Rural Crossroads and spin around as I near the river, but he hasn’t given chase.  I continue on as the light fades and a heavy wind sets in.  I can only move very slowly against the wind, so I walk backwards the entire way to the bridge.  I see a wolf off to the left, so I get into a house on the right as quickly as I can.

I loot the house, taking what I like best, then get a good night’s sleep.

Day 4 – I sharpen my knife to start the day.  Outside its pretty cold and I can hear the birds squawking, so I go back inside.  I harvest a curtain and successfully repair my hat and vest.  Then sleep for an hour.  I go outside and am immediate greeted by a barking wolf, so I jump back inside.  I wait for a few minutes and then go back outside.  I see the wolf across the road but it runs off, because as I look to my right I see OB barreling down on me.  Back inside I go.  I double check my inventory and look around the house again and then peek outside once more.  No sign of the bear, but a wolf notices me right away and so I go back inside.  I’m realize I don’t like being in this area.

I dilly dally around and then sleep for an hour.  I poke my head outside, don’t see any ill-tempered animals.  I’ve had enough of this, so I start running up the hill to use the quickest path to the mine.  I hear one wolf, then another, so I sprint for as long as I can and spin around switching from flare gun to flare.  I seem to have outrun them, so I switch back to the flare gun and continue on to the steep hill that leads to the mine.  Just as I get there I spook a deer, which in turns scares me, because I first think it is OB.  Those stupid deer!  I get to the top and look down across Pleasant Valley.  The fog has rolled in thick and I can’t see much of anything.  Into the mine I go.  I find a few useful items, but most things I don’t take.  Next stop Abandoned Lookout.

I poke my head out into the Coastal Highway to see it is very foggy, and I can hear OB is not far away.  I go back into the mine and sleep for 2 hours.  When I go back out, it is a clear day and I head down the path.  I can hear some grumbles in the distance, but decide to be cavalier and continue on.  It’s not long after that I regret this decision because I hear his sounds getting closer, just as I see a wolf come on to the path ahead of me.  Not good.  OB is the real threat, so I start running toward the wolf and light a flare.  I laugh as I cruise past the wolf, thinking that I’ve gotten away with a close one and it only cost me a flare. 
day 4 - trail.jpg

With no sprint left, I walk toward the opening that leads to the lookout.  Then I hear him – OB is in terminator mode!  I pull out the flare gun and spin around to see him appear just up the path.  I have no choice, so I fire a flare at him.  He turns around and runs.  I turn around and run. 
day 4 - trail2.jpg

I curse myself for being careless and not waiting for a better opportunity.  I’ve wasted the most valuable commodity in this game – the flare gun shell. 

I loot the lookout and then head down around the side of the cliff to ledge where there is already a rope deployed.  I take this rope for use later.  I go down and around the side of this cliff and pass by the cabins.  I breathe easy as I continue down to the road, knowing that OB is stuck up by the lookout and the only thing I have to worry about for a while will be wolves. 

I loot a couple of fishing huts as I cross the ice, heading for the Crumbling Highway.  I see a pack of 3 wolves on the ice by the deer carcass near the Coastal Township.  I keep my distance and head to the Waterfront Cottages.  I drop the rope outside the door and go inside.  I loot the place, take inventory, drop a bunch of stuff, and then go to bed.

Day 5 – I leave the Coastal Highway, not expecting to see OB in the next stretch.  I did expect to see a wolf, though.  Sure enough, as I get near to the cave a wolf starts growling.  I pop a flare and scare it off.  There is a deer carcass outside the cave and I want guts for fishing lines, so I harvest them.  I have now started to freeze, so I head for the mine.  I bump into the same wolf, I think, but my flare is still going so I scare it away again.  I quickly head into the mine.

I pop out the other side of the mine with 8 hours of daylight left and it looks like a blizzard is setting in.  I go back into the mine and sleep for 2 hours.  When I come back out it has warmed up, but the wind is still blowing.  I look over the ledge and realized I could have brought that rope here and deployed it, if I had thought ahead more.  Then I remember what happened the last time I tried to climb down the side of this ledge – 2 sprained ankles and 2 sprained wrists.  I only have 6 painkillers and don’t want to waste them.  Painkillers are another item I highly value, because being hobbled is especially bad when OB is in hot pursuit.

Down the path and into the wind it will be.  I don’t get too far, before I start to hear the birds and then see him.  He gets moving.  I get moving, as fast as I can back to the mine.  I sleep for an hour and go back out and down the path.  I don’t hear anything, but it’s still very windy.  I don’t like this curvy path at all, I can’t see far ahead.  There he is – and he sees me!  I turn and run and then make a hasty decision to just go down the side of the cliff.  As soon as I get out there I remember exactly why this doesn’t work well.  There is no choice but to drop straight down, so I sprain an ankle and a wrist.  Somehow, I only lose 5% condition. 

I don’t waste any time and head down the road.  I don’t see any sign of animals until I get to the entrance to Hibernia, when a wolf growls.  I look around, but don’t see it, so I just start running down the road.  I spin around just before the bridge and don’t see anything.  I head down toward the waterfall and go into the cave.  I’m not sure if there will be a wolf in here, so I proceed with caution.  I find no wolf, but I do find 2 deer carcasses, so I harvest the guts and meat.  I make my first fire and cook all of the venison and make some water.  I eat all the venison and lay down for a long night sleep. 

Now that I'm all set at one end, the tour of Great Bear Island can begin.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

It gives great insight to how you play, a totally different style from me..

Keep in mind I play a little differently when I'm with OB.  He poses a much more serious threat than the wolves do and there is a lot more listening involved. ;)

Love this!!! Keep going please!!! More to the story!!!

Thanks!  Here we go....

Day 6 – The day begins with a blizzard that lasts until 4 hours of daylight left.  When it finally ends, I leave the cave to see what OB is up to.  As I start walking, I realize I hadn’t at all thought about how I was going to initially get out of here.  I had thought about the entire trip in general, but not my very first move.  This might just be the worst place in the whole world to be, as I have effectively cornered myself.

After a little back and forth with OB, I overhear him grumble mumble something about the Riken.  Alright, we’ll do that, but I want to stop at Hibernia along the way and see if there’s anything good inside.  I head back out prepared to spend another flare gun shell, since I won’t be able to get around him any other way. 

But this time when I leave the cave, he is already fairly close, under the bridge.  So, I decide to play around to see if I can wiggle my way past him and get over to one side.  I wait to see the route he takes to walk to me and just then he abruptly spins around, having bumped into the end of his path.  Alright, I can work with that and start to play a little chicken to find out where his boundaries are.  He runs around taking goofy paths, back and forth and in circles.  And then he gets stuck by phantom forces, so I seize the opportunity and run past.
tour_dp_1.jpg

I’ve seen him get stuck a few times before and I figured he would remain stuck until I entered Hibernia.  Strolling along, I drift off into thought for a moment.  Slowly, I regain my focus as the sound of something large is fast approaching.  I immediately start running toward Hibernia, get up the hill and spin around to see OB heading my way, with a wolf off to the side as an added bonus.
tour_dp_2.jpg

I use what sprinting I have left and get inside before either one gets very close.  I check the place out, but find little worth taking.  I quickly hop over to the larger trailer with less than an hour of daylight left.  Nothing much to find, so it’s on to the Riken.  OB is out on the ice between me and the old ship, so I go back into the trailer for a bit.  When I come back out there is no sign of him and so I take the chance and make a run for it.  When I am near to the Riken and can’t run any longer, I spin around with flare gun in hand – nothing doing, so I get inside.

I find some useful items including a jerry can, just as my lantern starts flickering from being low on fuel.  Very nice timing.  I go out onto the ship’s deck, to find a beautiful night has begun.  I make a fire and enjoy the view, while OB plays around on the ice.
tour_dp_3.jpg

We hang out for a while longer, then I ask him where he wants to go next.  No sense can be made from his grum-diddly-mumbles, but he seems to be looking in the direction of the Lighthouse.  And so it will be.  I head inside for the night.

Day 7 – After waking, I pop out onto the deck to see what kind of a day it is.  It’s not too cold and I see OB off in the distance toward Hibernia.  He seems to be doing his own thing, so I jump ship and head for the Lighthouse.  I make it there easily with him off in his own world.  I loot the place and then check out the view from the top.  OB is nowhere to be seen.  I go back inside for a while and then take another look, still nothing.  I go down to the bottom, out the door and over to the second bridge.  There he is, I watch him stroll along under the bridge.
tour_dp_6.jpg

I don’t see any reason to stick around, so I head for the church.  I get out on the road for a bit and then take the path up to the church.  I start to think to myself, where the heck are all of the wolves?  Oh, I know, there’s one right behind me!  I pop a flare and try to scare it off, doesn’t seem to be working.  I get the feeling it will attack, so I get ready…. It runs at me, but I am fortunate and I get in the first blow with my knife.  It always seems to go better when I get that good first shot in.  The fight doesn’t last long and I only lose 19% condition and sustain no injuries.  I have a pretty high success rate in wolf fights, but that might just be my best showing.  He runs off licking his wounds.
tour_dp_4.jpg

I get up to the church and I’m cold and want to sleep for a little while.  When I wake up and go out to the ledge to take a look.  I see OB out on the ice walking slowly.  I am scanning the rest of the area when OB decides it’s time to get it on.  Holy crap!  He gets up to the church in just a few seconds.  He stops running and walks again.  Then he starts running again, around the church to the other side, and then around to the back.  I run toward the hole in the wall and duck inside just before he gets me.  He does not come in.  Hmmm.  I had been here once before with him, but left before checking to see if he will come inside.  So, I play around with him for a while and find that he won’t come inside.  That makes this a safe place to spend the night. 

I relax in my new found sanctuary while OB plays around outside.  When it’s time to sleep, I find a nice warm spot.
tour_dp_5.jpg

Day 8 – When I wake up it is completely foggy.  I can’t travel in the fog, so I’ll have to wait around until it lifts.  I check my inventory, looking for things to drop.  A couple hours later I get moving.  I can hear OB, but don’t see him.  I quickly head down the back path to the mine, grabbing some OMB and rose hips along the way.  Inside the mine, I find that I didn’t pick anything up the first time through.  Most notable finds were 2 flares and my first proper coat – a military coat.  Until now, I’ve only had a crappy light shell.  I also find fishing tackle, which makes me happy because I want to do some fishing in the Coastal Highway.  Then I remember I left those guts curing on the floor of the cave where I began the tour.  That makes me sad.  Well, no use crying over left behind guts, so I move quickly through the Crumbling Highway finding a flare in the basement of the Abandoned Harris Home.

As I enter the Coastal Highway, I realize this could be another tricky spot with OB.  I’m only looking to get to the cottage where I left the rope.  I decide to sprint to the car and stop next to it and listen.  I can hear him, he is somewhere fairly close.  I see some deer out on the ice, I keep looking around but don’t see him.  I’ve learned from my time with OB that sometimes you’ve just got to go for it.  And it like this was one of those times.  Off to the races!  I can hear him running, but he doesn’t sound too close.  I run out of breathe and spin around, still can’t see him.  I get inside the cottage quickly with a smile on my face.  This has been pretty smooth going so far.  It won’t always be so easy.  The Muskeg is going to be interesting – not many spots to hide there.

I spend some time harvesting cloth for repairs I will do in the morning, then I manufacture some of the Z’s.

Day 9 – I start the day off with several clothing repairs, I’m now up to a +34F bonus.  With 5 hours of daylight remaining, I head out.  It’s foggy and a nearby wolf growls, so it’s back inside to sleep for an hour.  I poke my head out again and it’s still foggy, but I don’t hear any wolves or OB.  I stand for a while, walk around a little, stand for a while longer – nothing.  I am weighed down right now by 20 pieces of coal and the rope and I shouldn’t do what I’m about to do.  I head for the nearest island moving as quickly as possible.  I stop and scan the area and I think I see OB way off in the distance toward the CH exit, he’s not running so I push my luck and head for the fishing hut I want to use between the islands.  I arrive without incident and drop a bunch of stuff.

I head over to Jackrabbit Island and pick up a bunch of sticks, get some OMB and chop up a fir limb.  I go inside the house to find nothing particularly useful and lay down in bed for the night.

Day 10 – Time to do some fishing.  Now, I just have to get back to that fishing hut.  Outside there is no sign whatsoever of OB, so I carefully make my way down the side of the hill looking all around.  If I don’t see him over here, he must be on the other side, so I don’t bother running any further.  In the fishing hut, I break open the hole with a prybar and fish for 6 hours, one hour at a time.  I catch 3 rainbow trout and throw a couple out on the ice for OB.  This is a nice spot near the water’s edge.  I think we will hang out here for a while.  I don’t want to cook the fish just yet, so I eat some 48% beef jerky and get food poisoning instead.  I pop a couple pills and sleep for 5 hours, then for 5 more hours – food poisoning passes.

Day 11 – A blizzard is roaring outside, but I don’t mind.  I make a fire and cook a fish and eat it, then make some water.  When I’m done the blizzard has ended, so I play with OB for a while. 
tour_ch_3.jpg
tour_ch_1.jpg

Then I fish for 10 hours and catch 10 fish.  Then it's nightime playtime with OB.
tour_ch_4.jpg
tour_ch_5.jpg

After we've had our fun, I cook all the fish, eat half of them and then go to sleep with a full belly.

Day 12 – I wake up to a blizzard just getting started, so I make another fire to stay warm.  OB circles the fishing hut groaning and grumbling, almost as if to voice his objection to the change in weather.  I concur.  Two of my three fishing lines have snapped, so I’m done fishing for now and think about where to go next.  OB continues to circle the hut, so we talk it over and decide to go see what’s happening around the gas station.  I then sleep for a few hours and he heads off toward the Log Sort.  I leave the coal and rope, then head across the ice to Quonset.  OB continues on his way, ignoring what I’m doing. 

When I get to the Coastal Townsite there are wolves everywhere, so I duck into one of the houses near to the ice.  I loot the place, then hop outside briefly and jump into a nearby house, but can hear that OB is now in the neighborhood.  I check this place out and then head to the gas station.  I hear wolves growl and OB grumble as I sprint inside.  I find all kinds of nice stuff, but I don’t have room to carry any of it. 

Day 13 – I wake up ready to check out the rest of the houses in this area.  As I exit the gas station I am wondering what OB might be up to.  This was enough to distract me from the wolf standing right outside the door and I was completely caught off-guard and was cut down to 46% and limped back into the gas station to take care of my wounds.  That was pretty stupid.  I need to be more mindful of those guys while I’m in their hood.  A cup of tea and a little sleep gets me up to 64% - I need to get up around 90% before I can go back outside.  Need to keep the condition high, otherwise one grump-thump from OB and I’ll fade to black. 

So, I spend the rest of the day repairing my clothes, harvested some metal, made some fish hooks and took inventory of everything.  Tomorrow I will be more careful when I head out.

Day 14 – I encounter no trouble while looting all of the houses.  I can hear OB is somewhere not far off, but I can’t see him.  And the wolves are nowhere to be seen either, so I quickly cherry-pick the townsite.  Returning to the gas station I’m reminded of the dangers in this area.
tour_ch_7.jpg

I can’t think of any reason to hang around and wait for the wolves to return, so I head out for the Fishing Camp.  I don’t hear the birds going crazy, so OB must be off somewhere else.  Not long after I get out on to the ice, a blizzard starts up and I can hear OB is coming my way.  I spin around to see him running at me.  I look the other way and see a fishing hut is pretty close.  I keep calm and let him continue to run at me, hoping he will stop running when he gets close, as he usually does.  He complies, and I slowly make my way against the wind toward the hut.  He runs briefly to get close again, but then just walks.  As I near the hut I get a little disorientated from the blizzard and constantly looking back and forth and OB seizes the moment and tries to grab me.  I duck inside just in the nick of time!
tour_ch_8.jpg

He groans and moans loudly, circling the hut.  As I watch and listen to the blizzard’s rage, I begin to realize I’m getting cold fast and I don’t have any wood to burn.  This is a tight spot.  I’m not even really sure which fishing hut I’m in.  It is just warm enough to sleep in the bedroll and not get any colder, so I do that twice for an hour at a time.  But after the second nap, the temperature has dropped considerably and I’m freezing at 94% condition and dropping fast.  This is starting to look like it might be the end.  I should have been much more careful.  I have no choice now, but to make a run for it and hope to get inside before the blizzard or OB end this tour.

I spend a few moments rethinking exactly what happened before I ended up in this fishing hut.  Once I figure out just where I think I am, I decide to go straight out the door which I think will lead me to Misanthrope’s Homestead.

As I run out of gas and walk slowly into the wind, I get that feeling of complete helplessness.  There is nothing else I can do, but continue to walk forward and hope for the best.  Fortune smiles on me today, as I see land approaching.  I’ve made it to Misanthrope’s! 
tour_ch_9.jpg

Well, no.  It turns out I made it back to the Coastal Townsite, so I get into a house there and warm up.  Darkness will be coming soon, so I begin to properly think through how I will safely get to the Fishing Camp tomorrow. 

Day 15 – When I wake up I find both of my pants are still wet, so I sit by a fire for an hour to dry out.  I stay by the door and listen, when first leaving the house.  No birds squawking, no wolves growling, just the sound of the wind.  I run back and forth a little and then listen again – still nothing.  It seems like a good time to go, so I head out to the ice toward the Fishing Camp.  Not far along I see 4 wolves patrolling near the Log Sort, so I leave the ice for the safer looking road.  The wind is blowing in my face, so progress is slow.  But there is no sign of OB and all the wolves appear to be out on the ice, so I continue down the road and make it to the Fishing Camp without incident. 

I find some fishing tackle, hooks and a flare at the workbench.  Then I think I should quickly go retrieve the rope from the fishing hut I left it in, so I start to drop excess gear.  A few seconds later a wolf spots me and heads my way.  I hop into one of the cabins and unload some gear.  OB will likely be in the neighborhood when I leave the cabin, so I take my time again. 

The coast is clear, so I head out on to the ice and move from one fishing hut to the next, ready to jump into one if need be.  OB doesn’t seem to be around, so I move forward quickly and drive a deer into a wolf.  This leaves a lane open to go straight to the fishing hut where I left the rope, so I get there and grab it along with some coal.  Still no sign of OB.  It seems strange I can move about in the open out on the ice and he doesn’t come for me.  I decide to head back to the Fishing Camp immediately, expecting to encounter him at some point.  It must be my day, as I am able to get back without seeing him or encountering any other wolves.  There isn’t much daylight left and I’m worn out from all the running, so I hunker down for the night.

Day 16 – Today I will have some fun.  My favorite dangerous game to play with OB on TWM is something I call dock ditch.  OB has some difficulty with docks, which is to say, he doesn’t know how to jump off them.  So, if he comes on the dock after me and I jump off, he has to turn around and run back off.  I can usually get on and off the dock a few times and then get back into the Mountaineer’s Hut.  Or, every once in a while, he gets me.  I had been to the Fishing Camp once before with him, but completely forgot to try out all of the docks. 

When I go outside it is a beautiful morning.  I walk out on to the docks and look in the direction of the Rockfall and see OB slowly coming this way.  I move out to the dock that is farthest from shore and watch him get closer.  I am expecting him to stand and then charge when he gets close enough, then I will do some dock jumping.  But then the strangest thing happens, he doesn’t ever charge me.  Instead, he walks straight at me and then under the dock. 
tour_ch_10.jpg
tour_ch_11.jpg

I’m not quite sure what to make of this, so I just spin around and keep watching him.  I don’t think he sees me at all.  He continues under the dock until he gets to the end and then turns to his right and walks out away from the dock.  When he approaches a little piece of land, he spins around and walks back to the dock. 
tour_ch_12.jpg
tour_ch_13.jpg
tour_ch_14.jpg

Then he walks under the dock, back to where I still am and continues out the way from which he originally came.  No, he can’t see me.  Next he spins around and comes back at me and under the dock again.  I have seen him get caught in a loop before, so I wait to see if he repeats everything.  He seems to be doing just that, when instead of coming back to the dock he heads out away from it and away from me.  So, I jump down on to the ice and he immediately swings around and points in my direction.  I get back on to the farthest dock again and he just slowly walks back my way.  I’m invisible again.  This is one magical dock!  I am completely safe here.  Time to play around.

I wait for him to walk under the dock again and when he comes out the other side.
tour_ch_15.jpg

I go down on to the ice.  He sees me and stand and roars, so I get on to the other dock which is attached to the land. 
tour_ch_16.jpg

He runs all the way around and gets on to the dock from the land and charges at me. 
tour_ch_17.jpg

I wait a little bit, then jump over to the far dock and he spins around and runs off. 
tour_ch_18.jpg

This is a really fun spot to play with him!  We waste away the rest of the morning and I start taking ever greater chances.  But before I take things too far, I decide it’s time to go inside for a nap and then it’s off to the Ravine.

It’s a little foggy when I leave, but don’t see OB anywhere so I move out.  I get up the hill and near the little cabin when I hear the birds start to make noise.  I spin around, but don’t see anything.  I move as fast as I can and make it up to the tracks.  I can breathe easily for a while, OB won’t follow me into the Ravine.

In the Ravine, I cross the tree bridge and deploy the rope.  After climbing down, I pick up a piece of cloth and 4 more flare gun shells.  I find one more shell on the dead dude nearby!  I’m feeling pretty good about everything and start picking up sticks for a fire.  I will enjoy the night in the cave down here with no OB to harass me.  I also harvest the guts from a deer carcass outside of the cave and then go inside.  I make my way to the back of the cave and go to set down my bedroll.  And go to set down my bedroll.  And, what the F?  Where is my bedroll?!  I look at my inventory repeatedly in disbelief.  Where the F is my bedroll?! 

I start to think back to when I last remember it….  I put it on the floor of the gas station while I looted the area, but I’m sure I picked it up when I left there for good.  Oh wait – when I was stuck in the fishing hut during the blizzard I used it!  Not pleased with myself at the moment.

Ok, I have very little energy left, so how am I going to get back up the rope?  Clearly I have to make a snow shelter, so I can sleep.  This means harvesting cloth from my Mackinaw Jacket, wool socks, and extra mittens.  I build the snow shelter and sleep for 5 hours.  I drink the one cup of coffee I have and start climbing the rope.  I can only make it to the small ledge, when I run out of gas.  I rest there for a moment.  Then I grab the rope again, hoping I have enough left to make it to the top.  I just barely make it to the top and am very happy not to have fallen into the long dark.  But it’s not until this point that I realize I’m still not out of the woods.

I now have no energy at all and if I want to make another snow shelter, I will have to sacrifice a lot more clothes.  I can do that or I can try to get to the nearest bed, which is either the one in the trailer back in CH or one at the Logging Camp in ML.  Or maybe there is a bedroll in the dam.  Or I could make some of the 15 coffee I am carrying to boost my energy level. 

After some deliberation, I decide to make a bunch of coffee and go for the Camp Office.  I collect some sticks on my way to the Ravine cave.  I am dehydrated now, so I make a little water first and drink it.  Then make more water, then 10 cups of coffee. 

Day 17 - Just before I leave the Ravine, I drink 4 cups of coffee.  When I get to ML, OB is off to the left, so I have to run into the Dam.  I take a quick look around and find snow pants sitting on a table.

I go back outside and see OB in front of me and a wolf off to the right.  I go back inside for a bit.  Then back out and I see OB is on a hill off in the distance. 
tour_ml_2.jpg

I move out, but don’t see him react, so I make a run down the back path toward the lake.  A way down, I move over to the river and follow it to the lake.  I see a wolf in my way, so I go back around behind a deer and drive it toward the wolf.  The tactic works and the wolf hones in on the deer.  I get safely to the Camp Office.

I find some useful items, including an 18% bedroll!  I spend the rest of the daylight repairing the bedroll and snow pants.  As I fall asleep, I begin to think about the next phase of this journey.

4 hours ago, mystifeid said:

What would happen if you jumped onto his back as he walked under the dock?

That does sound like fun - I wouldn't mind taking him for a ride! :D

But I suspect I would just drop right through him and when I landed on the ice, he would immediately notice me and spin around and get me in his clutches.  One time he got stuck in a tree on top of TWM and I could walk "inside" of him.

I have another save file somewhere from when we were last in CH.  I'll have to dig that one up and give it a try.

So, I've read up to the latest posting, and I'm loving this story, but I'm a bit astonished by the fact that you claim the Flare Gun WORKS on OB!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to admit, I didn't actually try the Flare Gun, but I've tried Flares, Branded Sticks, and actual Campfires. I mean he has, literally, run through open campfires before and completely ignored it - dead center through the fire. 

I do have some questions/concerns though.

1. Are you sure that you left the Bedroll in the Fishing Hut? Because when you're attacked by Wolves (or, even OB, himself) you tend to drop items. For me, the most common items are: Bedroll, Clothes, Fire-related, and Food items.

2. I've noticed that OB has some sort of a hard cap/soft cap/limit to his mauling capabilities. When you first get attacked by him, you drop down to 10-15%. Then, if you get attacked by him, again, right after that, then he'll drop you down to 1-3%. If you heal up and recover life, but get attacked at 50%, then it drops down to 10-15%, again. If you heal up to 85%-100%, then he drops you down to 10-15%, again. The cap seems to be not-able-to-kill you. I've died at least 15 times in this challenge, and not a single time was to the actual bear. So, your logic to reach 90% life prior to going outside and risk encountering the bear was odd to me. The wolves, I get, but OB won't kill you - not in my experience.

3. In the beginning, you said that you're "not worried about OB during a blizzard" - does this mean he won't attack you/can't find you during a blizzard?

4. Lastly, do you mind some spoilers? You're in Mystery Lake and I know an area that almost always has some "Line" and a possibility of a "Hook" on the Workbench. Message me if you want to know where.

43 minutes ago, Deathdealers747 said:

but I'm a bit astonished by the fact that you claim the Flare Gun WORKS on OB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It most certainly does work.  That's why the challenge has an extra flare gun case added into the basement on Skeeter's Ridge.  It is your only defense against him.   When you fire one at him, he will go into a panic mode for a while just like the wolves do when they are scared.

Are you sure that you left the Bedroll in the Fishing Hut? Because when you're attacked by Wolves

No, I'm not entirely sure.  But I haven't been attacked by a wolf since I lost it, so I don't think that's what happened.  If I make it all the way through to the top of the mountain, then I might go back and look for it. :)

your logic to reach 90% life prior to going outside and risk encountering the bear was odd to me.

90% isn't a hard fast rule, more of a guideline.  You're correct, he won't outright kill you during an attack, but he will almost always leave you in very bad shape.  So, depending on the circumstances, I may not be able to make it back to safety after he has his way with me.  Plus, a wolf could jump on next and take its turn with me.

I actually didn't even come up with this guideline for this challenge, but rather for my normal Stalker play style. :D  Most of the time, I play hard and fast and I take a lot of chances.  And I can get away with most of it, as long as I start things off close to full condition.

you said that you're "not worried about OB during a blizzard" - does this mean he won't attack you/can't find you during a blizzard?

Funny you should point this out.  That is what I meant when I said that, because in all of my time on TWM with him, I really never saw him out in the blizzards.  I made several trips during blizzards specifically because of this belief.  This proved not to be true, because when I was doing some fishing back in CH he was walking around the hut in a blizzard.  And I saw him a few different times throughout it.

I had made an assumption based on too little data.  This was not the first time I was wrong about one of his behaviors, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Lastly, do you mind some spoilers? You're in Mystery Lake and I know an area that almost always has some "Line" and a possibility of a "Hook" on the Workbench.

I don't mind spoilers at all, but I pretty much know where everything is.  I have 4 fishing tackle now, so I was going to do some fishing on the lake before going to FM.  I plan to stop by the Lookout on my way back through.

50 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Funny you should point this out.  That is what I meant when I said that, because in all of my time on TWM with him, I really never saw him out in the blizzards.  I made several trips during blizzards specifically because of this belief.  This proved not to be true, because when I was doing some fishing back in CH he was walking around the hut in a blizzard.  And I saw him a few different times throughout it.

I had made an assumption based on too little data.  This was not the first time I was wrong about one of his behaviors, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I was just asking based on experience with the Challenge: Whiteout. I was harvesting a wolf carcass when out of nowhere came a full-on blizzard in 1.5-2 hours (during the harvest). I was far enough away from the one wolf and there was no other wolves in the area (I listened to their howls and there was only one howl and it was in front of me by about 200 yards). The problem was that I was on the iced ocean parts of Coastal Highway - so, I had serious trouble finding even so much as a Fishing Hut! I was following along the stuck logs - farther out towards the ocean and away from the Log Hut - and eventually found a Fishing Hut. Somehow, either the same wolf that was 200 yards in front of me or another wolf spawned, but there was a Wolf right next to the Fishing Hut. It came from behind me, attacked me out of nowhere (never heard so much as a growl), and almost killed me! I dropped down to 11% before getting warm, again, and sleeping for 2 hours. 

I didn't see him, hear him, or anything of the sort, but somehow that blizzard just didn't affect him. At this point in time, I actually question whether they built it into the AI of the animals as to whether the Blizzard is an encounter-able object for them or not. I know that we're still in Alpha, and that sometimes the realism of it all gets to you, but if this is the case, then I hope they change it soon. Blizzards should affect animal smells, hearing, sight, etc. the same as a Human - if not, more-so, due to the Wind Shifts and brute force of it.

I don't mind spoilers at all, but I pretty much know where everything is.  I have 4 fishing tackle now ....

Well, your last posting of the story puts you at the Main Cabin - did you use a Light Source to search the Workbench? I can't tell you how many times I almost missed a "Line" and "Hook" on the Workbench, because they blend in sooooooooooo well with the background and colors. I've got my graphics set to max and I still almost miss them with a Fully Lit Lantern. 

Also, I don't know what cave you spoke of - the one where you said you dropped Fresh Gut in to "Cure" - but you're coming to a full circle, now, so it might be smart to double-back through the cave.

How about heading up the tower and lighting his backside on fire from above if he follows...Would love a pic of him on fire lol....The wolves are hysterical on ML with their butts on fire

I've never tried anything like this.  Tell me more!  How exactly do you do this?

If OB can be set on fire, then he will be set on fire. B|

4 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

He burns.  .. and one with the shell embedded in his head 

Oh, with the flare gun.  Yeah, I've done that lots of times before.  I thought @AZHockeyNut meant there was another way to set him on fire.

The flare guns shells are the most valuable item in this mode, so I really only use them in emergency situations. 

However, I do expect to run into some problems in FM, so when I need to use the flare gun I will be sure to plant one on him and get some pictures. :)

Day 18 – I don’t have much food left, so I want to do some fishing.  I need to have wood for a fire, in case I get stuck in the fishing hut, so I go out to collect sticks.  OB doesn’t like the idea and forces me back inside.  Then I realize there is plenty of reclaimed in the office, so I harvest all of that.  Just then a blizzard starts up and ruins my fishing plans.  So, I pass the time by making a bunch of water.  This was easily the most boring day of the trip.

Day 19 – The coast is clear when I leave the office in the morning, so I have no problem getting to the nearest fishing hut.  I drop most of the wood and some water and make myself at home.  After breaking open the fishing hole, I fish for a few hours and catch a few fish.  I see OB pass by a couple of times, doing his usual thing.  I fish until it starts to get dark and think about going in, but decide to keep going.  In the middle of the night I make a fire and cook all of the fish I have caught and fill my belly.  Then I fish until daylight approaches.  Now I’m close to exhausted and want to head back to the Camp Office, but a blizzard has started up and I can see OB is in my way.
tour_ml_3.jpg

Day 20 - I fish for a few more hours and the blizzard subsides.  I take another look outside and now a wolf and OB are in my way. 
tour_ml_4.jpg

Oh well.  Instead, I go the opposite direction and check out one of the cabins.  I make use of a bed and sleep for 8 hours.  When I poke my head outside the wind is really howling.  I look behind the cabin and see 2 wolves and OB.  This doesn’t seem like a good time to move around, so I go back in and sleep for another hour. 

This time when I go out, the wind has died down and there is only one wolf and OB is behind the cabin.  I dance back and forth to see what kind of mood he is in and get no reaction.  The wolf, on the other hand, doesn’t miss my performance and starts coming this way.  It doesn’t seem convinced I am worth the effort, so it only pursues slowly.  I make my way across the lake toward the office.  The wolf gives up on me and OB has only just started to ramble his way on to the ice.
tour_ml_5.jpg

With no predators on this end of the lake, I harvest all of the cattails for lightweight travel food.  When I get inside the Camp Office, I drop a bunch of fish to lighten the load.  There is only one hour of daylight left, so I go outside to watch it fade and say goodnight to OB.  He finally made it over here and when he sees me, he wants to give me a hug.
tour_ml_6.jpg

I decline and go inside and sleep until I am fully rested.

Day 21 – It’s a pleasant morning and OB seems to be off doing his own thing.  So, I take a spin around the lake and gather up some cattails.  There are 3 wolves scattered around the lake.  I miss some of the cattails to avoid them.  I stop by my fishing hut, start a fire and cook the rest of the raw fish from my previous catch.  I drop the fish and some other stuff off at the office and head back out to get more cattails.  I have no idea where OB is, but one of the wolves begins to get too friendly.  So, I take advantage of a nearby idiot deer and drive it to the wolf. 
tour_ml_7.jpg

Then I feel like having a bit of a thrill and draw the wolf’s attention.  He slowly comes my way and I run around the little island and ditch it.  I attend to the lonely deer carcass quickly and get the guts and all the meat.  Extremely weighted down, I make my way to the Camp Office.  This is very foolish, but I want to save a trip.

It doesn’t matter, as OB never appears and I get safely inside.  I drop the deer stuff and go back out to get some wood for cooking.  I see a large cedar limb nearby and get 5 pieces of cedar from it.  Back inside, I light a fire and cook all the venison.  I also make a gallon of water. 

I’m sitting on over 30 lbs of fish and 20 lbs of venison, much more than I need.  I don’t plan to come past here again, so tomorrow I will run the fresh venison down the railroad tracks a ways.  My route back through ML will go past the drop spot.  If I need food at that time, it will be waiting. 

Now it’s time to really think about FM.  There are very few truly safe places to go.  The homestead, the train wreck, the interior cave – I think that’s it.  I wonder what route should I take?

14 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Now it’s time to really think about FM.  There are very few truly safe places to go.  The homestead, the train wreck, the interior cave – I think that’s it.  I wonder what route should I take?

Is the train wreck safe? I've been mauled by the resident bear while inside the truck several times before. Though I have a vague memory of reading something about that being 'fixed'...? Anyway, unless you're completely sure, I wouldn't rely on it. Remember that you can use the hunting blinds as temporary safe spots, though.

Great read, by the way! I remember spending a few weeks with OB on Pleasant Valley when Hunted Part I first came out - but that was only because I didn't know my way out of the map at the time, and had to get used to dealing with his presence on a daily basis in order to find the exit! The mechanics have changed utterly since then though, so most of what I learned is probably worthless now.

Archived