Loading screen is so slow

butka

• 7 months later...

My apologies, specs are as follows: (I play on my HTPC in my lounge at 1080 on a big screen as well as my gaming PC in a different room and verify this behavior is consistent between the same save - Steam Sync)

Gaming PC:

Motherboard ASUS X99-AII

CPU: Intel 6850K

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4x8GB

Graphics card: Titan X Pascal

Storage 2x 950Pro M.2 SSD 512GB

Power supply: Seasonic 1050W

HTPC:

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-C

CPU:  Intel 4690K

Memory: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB

Graphics card: Gibabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970

Storage: Intel 730 480GB

Power supply: Corsair 750W

It could definitely be the loot, doesn't make sense that load is progressively getting longer going from the camp office to outdoor though, however going from outdoor to the inside of camp office in ML is instantaneous (that's where all my loot is). I do have stored food outdoors though also. Pics below, I don't think it's too excessive. Even as I reduce food lesser than the screenshots below, load times going indoors to outdoor is progressively getting longer, to the point where I am waiting for it to "Not Responding".

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edit: I've done a Verify Integrity of Game Files... via Steam also.

Edit 2: Another noticeable behavior is the equal degradation of the time it quits the game. Escape > quit was also instantaneous when first played, but as play through progresses, just like the increased time for going indoors > outdoors, the time it takes to quit to the main menu is also increasing significantly.

Thanks for the detailed info. Your system specs are very good and excellent, so it sure isn't your system.

Try turning off Steam sync and see if it helps. I know this won't work with you playing across systems, but just to eliminate one idea. Past that, I really can't see why it would be doing this. Maybe submit a formal bug report?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but you seem like a person who knows about systems and likely know also how to keep them in good working order. Maybe someone else will ring in. Paging @JAFO...he knows a thing or two. :)

2 hours ago, Carbon said:

Thanks for the detailed info. Your system specs are very good and excellent, so it sure isn't your system.

Try turning off Steam sync and see if it helps. I know this won't work with you playing across systems, but just to eliminate one idea. Past that, I really can't see why it would be doing this. Maybe submit a formal bug report?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but you seem like a person who knows about systems and likely know also how to keep them in good working order. Maybe someone else will ring in. Paging @JAFO...he knows a thing or two. :)

Thanks for that, it's my trade. And I have a habit also of keeping optimum/bloat-free systems at work and at home. I'll have a look at the logs and see if I find something, I'll also try disabling Steam sync (I've never looked into it). I appreciate your effort and time, so all good. I might try a new save game also, even though I'm holding onto this save dearly due to being new and only last week being beaten so easily in Voyager, but now into day 78 and the learning process has been fantastic.

Edit: Uploaded my output.log file

output_log.txt

11 hours ago, MaxximusD said:

load times going indoors to outdoor is progressively getting longer, to the point where I am waiting for it to "Not Responding".

11 hours ago, MaxximusD said:

Another noticeable behavior is the equal degradation of the time it quits the game. Escape > quit was also instantaneous when first played, but as play through progresses, just like the increased time for going indoors > outdoors, the time it takes to quit to the main menu is also increasing significantly.

Reading the above, and looking at all the items you have both inside and outside, I'm wondering if the problem isn't memory leaks. Certainly the log file you posted tends to point in this direction, and towards the end of the log, the amount of unused assets that are being unloaded to reduce memory usage is pretty large. It doesn't help that the logs don't have timestamps, but it seems to be happening almost constantly towards the end.

In your shoes, I'd be very tempted to run a memory monitor in the background during play, maybe it can shed some light on things.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Reading the above, and looking at all the items you have both inside and outside, I'm wondering if the problem isn't memory leaks. Certainly the log file you posted tends to point in this direction, and towards the end of the log, the amount of unused assets that are being unloaded to reduce memory usage is pretty large. It doesn't help that the logs don't have timestamps, but it seems to be happening almost constantly towards the end.

In your shoes, I'd be very tempted to run a memory monitor in the background during play, maybe it can shed some light on things.

Hi JAFO. I would usually agree with a memory leak however these are the reasons why I don't think this is a memory leak, despite the fact that the JobTempAlloc errors in the log file:

• A memory leak usually isn't evident from a fresh session, I shut down my computer most nights and when I play a game it's usually from a fresh Windows session, there isn't a way that memory allocation from this game is being reserved after every shut down/reboot (sleep or hibernation are always disabled on my systems)
  • A memory leak will mean the issue will not be visibly evident from a fresh session, but will mean it will progressively and noticeably get worse only for the same session, and the rate of degredation will varr. The fact that the degredation is immediately evident after a fresh session means it is local to the game or file.
  • The fact that the issue is transferrable  between saves indicates that it is somewhere in the game files or save file

There seems to be a few topics relating to the JobTempAlloc errors in my logs: 

https://tinyurl.com/y7uhvutv

I did a count of current load time, as I said previously this was instantaneous on first play. Currently, transition is 10 seconds and increasing. It's a bit of an inconvenience though how there are no timestamps on these logs, I agree. Trying to see if I can pick a pattern here:

Here are 6 records of unused assets and unused serialized files entries in the log. What I've done is grabbed the top 3 and bottom 3 for each

Unloading 23537 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 53636.
Total: 72.386459 ms (FindLiveObjects: 2.531277 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.806620 ms MarkObjects: 62.372852 ms  DeleteObjects: 4.675140 ms)

Unloading 1142 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 83343.
Total: 98.126755 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.791938 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.206725 ms MarkObjects: 91.008232 ms  DeleteObjects: 1.119291 ms)

Unloading 644 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 80637.
Total: 102.491280 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.471084 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.628448 ms MarkObjects: 96.310287 ms  DeleteObjects: 1.080891 ms)

Unloading 678 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 85070.
Total: 378.919647 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.779707 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.874712 ms MarkObjects: 370.702606 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.562063 ms)

Unloading 333 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 81167.
Total: 378.089081 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.621555 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.928822 ms MarkObjects: 371.711823 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.826313 ms)

Unloading 641 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 84165.
Total: 382.877716 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.775156 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.571318 ms MarkObjects: 374.179932 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.350152 ms)

Unloading 6 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 3.428986 ms

Unloading 20 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 13.429508 ms

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 7340.908203 ms

Unloading 20 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 2.626282 ms
Profiler is not supported in this build

UnloadTime: 11571.276367 ms

UnloadTime: 2.982692 ms
Profiler is not supported in this build

I'll do some further research from the other forums if JobTempAlloc is actually related to this or not. One thing I have been meaning to log/report is that I get micro-stutter on my game ever 60 seconds or so. It's not game breaking for me, but this loading transition that is progressively getting worse could be game breaking, inevitable over time.

I've also ran another Verify Integrity via Steam last night including disabling of Steam Sync, as well as disabled Steam overlay but no changes, issue is still evident.

Thank you for reading.

Very good points...

Also, just an FYI.. I take it you're aware that the TLD executable is only 32 bit? Kinda makes a mockery of the recommended RAM size for the game..

But it does make me wonder if you're banging your head on the 4GB memory cap, with all that loot.

26 minutes ago, MaxximusD said:

I'd be more widespread if that was the case though

Yes, I'd have thought so too.. 

26 minutes ago, MaxximusD said:

maybe I have a corrupt save from the beginning.

That's possible. Maybe set that one aside for now and test with a new start?

I found a few more Steam threads about this, it seems Support actually knows of the issue considering it's been raised 14 months ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/359543542246726954/

Just to help narrow down, I did some more tests of the behaviour of the issue:

• It appears only isolated to the area obviously, but not the entire region. For example, I am currently in ML, when I exit the office which contains a fair few loot, it's extremely slow, but when I enter, it's intantaneous
  • When I enter a different structure (that also requires a loading screen) within ML and outside of ML (I was testing FM last night), it's also intantaneous.
  • When I leave another structure that I have not set up base in, in ML (I tested in one of the lake cabins) and also outside of ML (FM), it is also intantaneous.

It's interesting that the gradual loading time happens when you are leaving the area, ie. lots of loot indoors, but going out of it takes ages. Same thing for some of the posters in Steam above, they have many campfires and sticks outdoors, so when they go indoors (and leave outdoors), it happens, the entire region is affected. In my case though, it's only the office that is affected.

Hopefully that has shed more light, but it is definitely looking like loot in this case. I definitely have a lot of sticks in the office :D

I'll lay off this for now, unless I'm asked to do further testing. Thank you for your time.

Edit 2: I just scanned all 20 pages in the Open Issues in the Public Bug Database and could not find a similar issue. I'll get the ball rolling with this one and create one.

I'd like to provide an update on this and point out some minor testing and observations I've noticed which I thought was interesting.

Observation 1:

There must be a function in programming that exits the area in question and quitting the game that is shared that is causing the long load. In my case, if the problem is going from ML office to outdoors, if I quit the game from inside the ML office, the load of exiting the office is also reflected on when I esc > quit to main menu. However, when I quit from other internal structures within ML or other regions, as well as outside the region, then the transition is instantaneous. So I think the function that initiates the exiting of an internal structure and quitting from that same structure, the function causing the long load is there and shared. 

Observation 2:

Sticks or asset counts. I have actively stopped collecting sticks and started to ramp up on my snow melting and water boiling. In doing so I've purposely started to deliberately use up my sticks first. In doing so, maybe 20 days worth of in-game time, the loading issue from ML officeto external has actually progressively reduced!!! So when the problem was at it's peak, the load time from ML office > external was in the 15 - 20 second range. As of today, I've managed to drop it down to 3 - 4 seconds!!! Big difference. Now I don't know whether it is the reduction in sticks or a reduction in total asset. It could be the sticks only or both. As I make long fires my standard asset count is slowly balancing out the stick burning, ie. as I get rid of 40 sticks a day, I would add say another 10 bottles of 1L bottle as well as maybe 8 - 10 pieces of charcoal, along with general loot increase, ie. guts, hide, and other misc. loot I gather.

Anyway, this is a workaround I've been able to apply for now. Thank you for reading, I hope the devs can use this information to point them to the right direction.

Archived