Hallucinations

TarjaS

Seeing things that aren't there would probably be quite realistic once your condition gets really low. What I had in mind may be cruel, but I think it could be interesting. What if you sometimes saw the bunker hatch only to find out it wasn't really there once you got closer? Of course people would learn that it's not real, so to make it work, you'd have to make it be real on a rare occasion. Of course finding the bunker this way would be a sort of Deus Ex Machina solution, but the way to find the bunker seems to be to stumble into it accidentally anyway, so why not this way.

You could also see something that looks like supplies and it may or may not turn out to be real. The main idea is that you couldn't totally trust what you see once your condition gets really low. Unfortunately, seeing people wouldn't work as we know there are no other people in the Sandbox. Maybe it would work in the story mode.

I would be a fan of auditory hallucinations. They would be a little easier to implement, especially since even a hallucination of something visual has to be rendered into the game. Hearing wolf howls nearby while suffering from low condition, especially in a snow storm, would make for some very terrifying auditory hallucinations.

+1

Echo filter added to auditory effects, perhaps. Slight visual tint to the screen (darker around the edges, I'm thinking?)...

Definite potential to make it seem your condition seem far more viscerally and immediately dangerous to the player, rather than only embedding low condition effects into things like "punching damage" and "rate of fatigue."

+1 indeed. Hallucinating, when you're in very bad condition, would definitely add to the impact the whole situation has on the player behind the keyboard (that means you). When things start to get messed up in your brain, you know things are seriously wrong.

E.g: When I'm dieing of cold/freezing to death etc, a transparent being would appear (like an angel); and walk next to me in the snow. And other hallucinations like others mentioned above me, like that. I like the idea!

Archived