Longer burn times in Stove

robdoar

alsoto be able to select the intensity of the fire, if you are making a fire to get warm you may not need a fire as warm as to cook or boil water. also it would be great if you can adjust the intensity of the fire at times, to try to keep the same flame going but not have it roaring full on cooking temperature to save you from having to re attempt a fire. can then make fire starting ability via matches +tinder more scarce

Another little addition that might be nice would be the possibility of restarting the fire once it goes out from the coals/embers within the stove. Embers will stay viable for a long time and it should be a simple matter to get it going again. Certainly easier than relighting from scratch.

also adding and addition to be able to add wood to the fire while your in the process of cooking or melting/boiling snow, hate when i think i have enough time to finish up the last steak. and you shouldnt lose your wood after failing to start a fire, if im thinking correctly you dont lose cedar wood but you lose reclaimed wood???

you shouldnt lose your wood after failing to start a fire, if im thinking correctly you dont lose cedar wood but you lose reclaimed wood???

This was a bug that was supposed to be fixed. If it is still happening, you should report it in the Bug Reports section.

you shouldnt lose your wood after failing to start a fire, if im thinking correctly you dont lose cedar wood but you lose reclaimed wood???

This was a bug that was supposed to be fixed. If it is still happening, you should report it in the Bug Reports section.

If that's the case, its a bug. Only tinder and ignition elements shoud be lost.

+ one for all the ideas in this post!

1. Stoves burn wood more efficiently so longer burn times when using a stove.

2. Be able to chose between long burning or hot burning fire (warmth vs cooking).

3. Starting a fire using coals from the previous fire.

4. Adding wood while melting snow/ boiling water/ cooking meat.

5. Burn time dependent on fire skill.

And I'd like to add:

6. Stoves should still give off heat after the fire goes out.

• 3 months later...

I thought 12 hours was being very generous. When I moved to the mountain region from the midwest US, I was very disappointed in the results of my hard work cutting and splitting evergreen type wood. Unlike the hardwoods in the midwest, the various spruce and Ponderosa pine I have available doesn't even come close to the hardwoods which would burn all night and still have hot coals to fuel a new load the next morning. I don't have Fir wood around, but I would assume it's very similar to Spruce.

I have an old upright 40s era coal stove that I use with wood and even if I stuff it full I feel lucky to get 6 to 8 hours of good heat from it. it doesn't seal up real tight I would put it on par with the potbelly stoves you see in game, The open fireplaces would be even worse with no damper or air flow control.

The open fireplaces certainly, but the stoves would easily burn for 12 hours. I used to do that in the north east of the US with mostly pine.

I'd stoke the fireplace and batten it down. in the morning I'd have plenty of fire to get it started again. and that was with only 4-5 logs (again pine from the property we owned). The house could easily reach 80f with outside temps at -5.

also adding and addition to be able to add wood to the fire while your in the process of cooking or melting/boiling snow, hate when i think i have enough time to finish up the last steak. and you shouldnt lose your wood after failing to start a fire, if im thinking correctly you dont lose cedar wood but you lose reclaimed wood???

it only uses tinder

+1 on the longer burn time in stoves

+1 on restarting without lighting as there should be fervor for a while

Archived