Fix The Can Opener.

maowcat

The thing degrades at what, 4% a use? Your telling me there is a can opener in existence that will completely fall apart after 25 uses? Just seems ridiculous imo... can opener shouldn't degrade at all considering the chances of someone surviving in this game for 10+ years are pretty slim.

Does it need tuning? Yes.

Should you expect items in the game to last as long as their "real world" counterparts? No.

There would be no challenge to the game if everything lasted on real world timelines.

So, is it became the only point to make the game hard?! No matter what? No matter if it's unrealistic? No matter how many player complain about it?

It would be a very sad thing if degrading items would the only "challenge" in the game, as you said!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the game become easy. But, it's pretty sad if there's the only way to make it hard.

Do you remember what happened with the Win 8 and the start menu? People don't liked it, but the company pushed it into the final product. They tought they're smarter than the costumers. They was wrong.

If that's the case, please rename hunting knife to plastic knife, and so on.

Woah... slow your roll.... I'm agreeing with you for the most part.

All I'm saying is that if you expect items in the game to last the duration of the game, expect a really boring and easy game.

I'm not expecting the item to last forever without any work involved. I already wrote enought about that. That's why I make the "maintenance" opinion. You should need to burn calories, gather material to do that, as well. So, nothing is for free. You said it's too complicated.

Everyone's try to make suggestions, ideas, opinions about item deradation. Basically, you only say it would make the game easy and let's keep it hard. I would like to hear your opinion.

i definitely see the struggle with the degradation system here. i mean lets say my axe doesn't need repaired after just 6 hours of using it (which definitely needs to be dumbed down quite a bit) but instead lasts for......lets say a month with some sort of maintenance system, like using a wet stone or your fir wood and scrap metal to repair the handle. there would be no need to have another axe in the game. so i honestly don't know how to tailor this better myself.

clothing is also something i struggle witih....i do understand clothes tearing, ripping and seams coming apart, but i have very little clothe left to reapir with. i should be allowed to use wolf or deer pelt to patch my clothing.

Does it need tuning? Yes.

Should you expect items in the game to last as long as their "real world" counterparts? No.

Completely agree with this.

There would be no challenge to the game if everything lasted on real world timelines.

And completely disagree with this. Surviving under the same circumstances as in the game IRL would pose a serious challenge, right? So why would a game wherein everything lasts as long as IRL pose no challenge?

I agree that having things last as long as IRL would make the game easier, would make this part of the game redundant and it would practically take away a key gameplay aspect of the game. It would take away a challenge from the game as it is, but it would not take all the challenges out of the game and it could be replaced with something else.

But like you said, it needs tuning and they are still tuning this so hopefully they will find a middle ground between totally unrealistic and no challenge at all.

I'm throwing around an idea with some people that I think will solve the issue. Will post if I can get it to make sense. :-)

Now that would be great! :) I hope you do get it to make sense.

Your telling me there is a can opener in existence that will completely fall apart after 25 uses?

Must be imported from the United States. ;)

I've gone through I don't even know how many can openers in the last few years because they are flimsy and pretty much fail at their one job, opening cans. I suppose that is why it seemed realistic to me.

Your telling me there is a can opener in existence that will completely fall apart after 25 uses?

Must be imported from the United States. ;)

I've gone through I don't even know how many can openers in the last few years because they are flimsy and pretty much fail at their one job, opening cans. I suppose that is why it seemed realistic to me.

I've been using the same cheap (mainly plastic!) can opener from IKEA for close to 10 years now. I'll admit I don't open many cans, maybe a dozen a year, but that's still well over 100 cans and counting. It still works great, even if I don't like the way it takes the lit off (it cuts from the side instead of the top).

The exact model I have isn't sold anymore, but I think the STAM Can opener is it's successor. This one actually looks a lot sturdier than mine...

I think when it comes to tools, game should focus more on maintenance than finding new. In real life you are trying to keep your things in good condition for as long as you can, instead of buying new one as soon as it breaks. Maybe degradation of tools could be lowered to something like 1-2% per use/hour (hatchet), however having like one good-condition hatchet on the map the size of mystery lake. Future bigger maps could have more tools, but the last thing a person trying to survive in harsh conditions should think is: "I'll just let that knife break, I can always find one .

I think when it comes to tools, game should focus more on maintenance than finding new. In real life you are trying to keep your things in good condition for as long as you can, instead of buying new one as soon as it breaks. Maybe degradation of tools could be lowered to something like 1-2% per use/hour (hatchet), however having like one good-condition hatchet on the map the size of mystery lake. Future bigger maps could have more tools, but the last thing a person trying to survive in harsh conditions should think is: "I'll just let that knife break, I can always find one .

definitely agree with you there.

Archived