Kauffy

The broken-up floor in the upper level of the barn in Pleasant Valley: Why?

Recommended Posts

So, the upstairs of the barn in Pleasant Valley has a large hole in it that is precarious to cross, but story-wise, it doesn't seem to make any sense that the hole is there. It's just a random hole in what should otherwise be an intact building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kauffy said:

but story-wise, it doesn't seem to make any sense

 

What story? It's a sandbox. No details have been released about the story mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kauffy said:

So, the upstairs of the barn in Pleasant Valley has a large hole in it that is precarious to cross, but story-wise, it doesn't seem to make any sense that the hole is there. It's just a random hole in what should otherwise be an intact building.

It don't really understand it either. It seems like they changed it just so that it would annoy people.

I mean, the first time you go there ever, if it's dark, you might fall through the floor to the lower level and be a bit confused/surprised for a few seconds. But once you know about the gaps, it's just irritating. I think it should be changed back, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why must a game be convenient in every way?

its just a hole.. and you can easily step on the planks..

i dont get this..

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farce713 said:

why must a game be convenient in every way?

its just a hole.. and you can easily step on the planks..

i dont get this..

It's okay for things not to be convenient, but I agree with @Pillock, this is a case where it's just annoying and the change made no sense. The way it's done doesn't even make sense. It's not like there's a hole in the roof where boards/beams came down, damaged the floor, and fell through; every other part of the barn is in well maintained condition. There's a 20 foot long board sticking from there down to the floor of the barn... How did that even get there? Where's it from?

The only other part of the game where I look at things and go WTF, is the layout and range of the plane parts on TWM, but I can understand that just from managing game play aspects.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said @SteelFire

I believe they did it to provide some more available firewood you can break down inside there, but it isnt necessary in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, farce713 said:

why must a game be convenient in every way?

its just a hole.. and you can easily step on the planks..

i dont get this..

+1

Following @Kauffy's reasoning, the rails at the ravine should be fixed as well ;)

Its not like you are going to get up there a dozen times. You'll go up once, loot whatever you need and most probably won't ever return to face that hole, so you just  have to dodge it once and move on :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ohbal said:

+1

Following @Kauffy's reasoning, the rails at the ravine should be fixed as well ;)

Its not like you are going to get up there a dozen times. You'll go up once, loot whatever you need and most probably won't ever return to face that hole, so you just  have to dodge it once and move on :D 

Once per game, that is! If you're as bad at Interloper as I am, then you go there for the 'first time' quite frequently. 

And its a pain in the arse every one of them! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SteelFire said:

and the change made no sense.

does this mean this was changed in an update? so first no hole and now a hole?

then its maybe just a design choice or it has something to do with upcoming story mode.

nethertheless, its such a minor thing.. and if this game gets mod support i guess you can do whatever you want with this interior..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2017 at 9:35 AM, SteelFire said:

The only other part of the game where I look at things and go WTF, is the layout and range of the plane parts on TWM, but I can understand that just from managing game play aspects.

You haven't given the farmhouse a good look then. the chimney pops out of the wrong spot, the windows in the kitchen dont match the outside. On the streetside of the farmhouse there are three windows one bit of the house one on the upper floor, two on the lower bottom(given that it really it should be four window with two on each floor) but the study there is only one window on that side on the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JErosion said:

You haven't given the farmhouse a good look then. the chimney pops out of the wrong spot, the windows in the kitchen dont match the outside. On the streetside of the farmhouse there are three windows one bit of the house one on the upper floor, two on the lower bottom(given that it really it should be four window with two on each floor) but the study there is only one window on that side on the house

Meh, I can hand wave that. I mean, I'm pretty sure that most of the building interiors (ones with loading screens, that is) are actually bigger than their exteriors, but I'm pretty sure that's not that uncommon in games either. That's just design/development/artistic things... doesn't make the engineer in me go, "There's no way that could be in that location after the crash." :P

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SteelFire, finds plane's flight deck all the way in desolation point... 

The devs are planning on introducing newly updated interiors when storymode is released, whether that means theyll be more accurate or not is unknown. 

Personally, it doesnt really matter if the interiors dont fit, as long as the difference serves a purpose and isnt misleading. The most common reasons buildings are smaller on the outside is due to distance/time ratios and larger on inside is to prevent the player from feeling cramped.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured they were just testing a game mechanic that's why they made the change.  But it would be good if there was an apparent reason for it.  Like in FM the planks in the shed with the forge make sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Devs secretly wanted to place the fire barrel directly under the hole they made in the upstairs barn. Prior to Vigilant Trespasser I used to like using the PV Barn as a base but now the valley is just too dam cold and the wonky planking is just another reason not to hang there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2017 at 0:51 PM, Kauffy said:

So, the upstairs of the barn in Pleasant Valley has a large hole in it that is precarious to cross, but story-wise, it doesn't seem to make any sense that the hole is there. It's just a random hole in what should otherwise be an intact building.

Moisture? Rotten wood collapsing under a heavy weight? As we continue to add detail to the world, you'll see this reflected in some "decayed" items and environments as well. As for the specific cause of this damage to the barn, we think it's in-character with other locations in this region. Things have taken a tough turn for the residents of Bear Island, and the environments will continue to reflect that. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Moisture? Rotten wood collapsing under a heavy weight? As we continue to add detail to the world, you'll see this reflected in some "decayed" items and environments as well. As for the specific cause of this damage to the barn, we think it's in-character with other locations in this region. Things have taken a tough turn for the residents of Bear Island, and the environments will continue to reflect that. :) 

While true in old barns the one in Pleasant Valley is still operational as evidenced by the fall hay harvest. If the barn was that decayed someone would have replaced the boards to avoid killing themselves or abandoned the barn completely (i.e. not use it for storage). A person desperate for fire would have also burnt the hay or wood boxes first before wasting the calories pulling up planks.

Now if in some future update the outside of the barn looks all dilapidated and the vehicle inside is a rusted hulk (i.e. the barn is abandoned) then I'd have no problems with the current interior design ;)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I saw that hole, it was on pilgrim mode and I had light, the distance looked like it could break my legs so I developed a habit of always being careful when going upstairs on that barn. It actually took me several days to notice I could salvage the planks for wood and make the hole even more dangerously looking.

Few days ago, I tried my luck on interloper mode, had barely managed to survive a blizzard coming down from Timberwolf Mountain. Avoided lots of wolves and 2 bears on the way, had found a military coat to keep me warm and I was in the barn searching for any supplies I could get my hands on, it was dark and even though I hadn't taken the planks I found myself falling through the hole feeling dumb. What I like most about this game is the atmosphere it creates when things are getting tough. From the moment I realized I was falling to when I hit the ground, I could swear time had slowed down and I was thinking things like How did I manage to fuck that up, well, mistakes were made, what a terrible way to end this after all I've been through, a wolf ravaging away at my neck would at least be a quick restart than having to crawling around with broken legs because I can't find something to make a splint or some painkillers, if this was co-op I could have at least say "Fly, you fools" and not feel so bad about it.

To my surprise, I took no damage from the fall, no torn clothing, nothing. I think the hole has a certain charm to it. I'm going to call it the dev joke-hole from now on.

Edited by ArchJudge
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now