Hint and breadcrumb the secret stash

ubiquityxx

So a thought on the randomized "secret bunker".

I've yet to come across that bunker in the many sessions I've played. But to discover that juicy nugget would be so awesome.

What about keeping the random placement of it, but have a hint found within the context of the game world (e.g. note on wall, map, or some other breadcrumb) that the player can choose to discover if they investigate. This could even link back to the narrative of a given area.

Seems like a waste of resources and fun if most players wouldn't see it. It's not an obvious thing ... just for those who care and pay attention to the world around them. Or the needy.

Devil's advocate, why would a secret cache be on a map?

It wouldn't be, you are right. If it's really a secret cache, nobody would know about it; except the owner.

What about if you find the owner, in the snow. He is dying. The player has a choice, to give him some soup and water from his own supplies or let him die and take his stuff. If you help him, then he'll give you a clue. If you let him die, you'll get nothing.

i admit the preppers cache is very hard to find, but after my 15th day alive ive finally found it, took me one whole day of hunting from sun up to sun down with a sprained ankle for about half the trek, and also a blizzard creeping up on me and having to take shelter in a nearby cabin, but finally found one of the locations. but i could see some very vague hints being a nice addition, would have to be very subtle though. maybe a piece of cloth stuck to a tree branch, broken branches along the path, something like that, not really sure.(maybe a note with mention of some sort of landmark, a riddle perhaps) i like it being a rare find myself the game needs to be challenging. for the most part if you feel comfortable with the supplies you have and its a decent day outdoors just travel light and follow the edge of the cliffs/slopes. look for "paths" the wont be so noticeable but there somewhat there. could be a gap in a cliff side, some parted trees. just make sure to travel light and only bring the essentials.

@gwishades exactly. The hint or breadcrumb could be something as small as a tracker's mark on a tree, painted rock or other environment cue ... even Sioux's idea of it being discovered on a corpse is deep.

I'm all for hidden nuggets in the environment but how is the player rewarded? By spending their day, risking their life, searching for a red herring or spending an extra moment to investigate a clue that stands out potentially leading to a discovery? It helps reinforce the narrative of the gameworld and the confidence of the player.

Also, if the cache is randomly placed, it should still be meaningfully located in the world.

i get what you mean on the location, the bunker i found the location made no sense. why would it be out in the middle of nowhere on a hill top. wouldn't it be better located in a trap door under a bed in a cabin, or just outside the cabin somewhere. if a nuclear fallout was about to happen you wouldn't want to have to run miles to get to it lol. but again cant make things too easy lol.

Archived