Wolf population In Coastal Highway

kerror_kin

I generally leave out the back doo when the house with the porch behind the station is available. out the front when the house to the right with the porch is available. you can usually, bot not always, outrun them to those spots...I will leave it up to you to figure out why I go there.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just on Coastal Highway that the wolves are congregating in packs; Forlorn Muskeg is swarming with these furry fellas.  Just the other day a whole pack of them just showed up out of no where out on the ice outside the cave I was lodging in.  Here's my proof:

screen_(1378, -124, 212)_6e150ad6-d9f4-4934-b54c-509ce7ab0834.png

Each one of those blurry black specks on the ice is a wolf; there a total of 5 that you can see in the photo, though I did go out a find another dead one lying out there.

Plus, that doesn't count the 2 other wolves I slaughtered on the shore line for getting in my way (rude little buggers they were, too!).  ¬¬

In total, that's a pack size of 8 wolves; so glad they weren't coordinating as a group and springing any ambushes on me!  :/

Quonset is one of the best bases in the game as far as position.. Centrally located to loot all the other zones and with cars/fishing nearby to deal with cabin fever.

It's also the only base (other than lighthouse) that offers any real navigation challenge when coming and going - you need to check where the wolves are every time you step outside and avoid them. Headphones help.

I have lost many a long run staggering back to the gas station only to be mauled right in front of the door. Learn from it and try again.

As far as wasting bullets, you could drop a decoy instead, or if you use a bow and arrow, you can scare them away even if you miss. Best is to just avoid them.

13 hours ago, morgellons said:

Quonset is one of the best bases in the game as far as position.. Centrally located to loot all the other zones and with cars/fishing nearby to deal with cabin fever.

I usually will make one of the coastal houses the base when I'm in that area.  They're warmer, have better beds and while you still have bunches of wolves, they're easier to navigate around.  Or the fishing area, which has the advantage of a workbench you can use to make lovely wolf coats at, without the risk of cabin fever.  Maybe a wee bit of a risk of frostbite though.

I just lost a 70day interlooper run to a wolf, charging THROUGH the coastal house without clipping at the boat pier directly across the street from quonset gas station. THAT was frustrating.

ad Lighthouse: It's very easy to navigate. You DO NOT need the rope-walkways. You can climb the lighthouse-hill from the side. Easy. Lighthouse is very cold and has no crafting table, though.
And - because of the short range of the rifle - you cannot use it as a hunting platform.

Edit: BTW: Coastal Highway QGS is much easier to travel on interlooper than on stalker. Less Wolves. I counted a maximum of 3-4.

Best way on any difficulty is to leave out of the back door. Listen for wolv-steps. Crouch in direction of the car, so if you hear a wolf-barking, you can run and enter the car. From there you can travel the backroad. It's usually wolf-free. Use the same way to enter QGS. If you travel uphill instead of using the backroad, you have perfect line of sight on the whole area.

• 5 months later...
On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 at 10:55 AM, stapeliad said:

That's why I have so many wolf pelts.

I don't mind them so much anymore...in the daytime.  I throw some meat down, hope they don't run off with it...and I usually take them down with an arrow.  Sometimes they are too quick and they run away with supper.

Hit the cancel button before finishing meat meals. I save the last 0.10 kilograms or less as bait drops. I haven't tried pieces less than 0.06 kilos, but I don't think the amount of food matters. They seem to respond to any amount of meat as bait, and trot off with it no matter how small....

Quonset is seriously overrated as a base. Yes, it has storage and a workbench, but the predator risk percentage is very high....the highest on the map (maybe in the game). Easier to stay on Jackrabbit and head over to the fishing camp for the workbench where only 1 wolf needs to be dealt with. The coastal house up on the hill is even better; a short walk away from the Quonset work bench and provides an elevated view of the area before going down.

Making a base at Quonset is not in any way desirable...and then people complain about the wolves.

Archived