There's a flaw in your game logic

Rolandtigerfish

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Pillock said:

Yeah, but that's when the fun starts. You have to start thinking carefully about when to light fires, where and with what materials. You could stretch 50 matches over another 400 days, probably, especially if you utilize the mag lenses as well.

For me, the game becomes much more fun when resources start to get scarce. Interloper is a bit different - it's very unforgiving, and I'm crap at it - but in your game you've had time to get very well established. I imagine you've got loads and loads of resources and food in reserve, so you've got the opportunity to plan ahead and prepare for the Day When Matches Run Out (and/or put it off as long as you can).

The point I was making earlier is that once you get to that point - something's looks like it's starting to run out - you're so well set in the game and you know your way around so well, that you're able to compensate for it anyway.

50 matches lasting 400 days!! .your hoping a bit .. haha ,.the parts of the game you cant control is when your exploring and you stumble across some wolves.. i tend to out sprint them but im abit slower at the moment with the new clothes thingy.. thou ive heard it re generates quicker so should balance out. but if you cant then thats when you have to unexpectedly use your matches to light a torch.  I am starting to cook every other day to make the matches last which i can probably extend , never used the magnifying glass but will definitely be trying it from now on , but have found very few days good enough to use it. Before i figured out that leaving meat outside slows the food going off so quickly i couldnt stock pile the food so much, now i have a shed load of fish , tons of rabbit and half a deer left. just at mystery lake where i am at the moment i have.. 2 rifles, about 25 rounds, 3 bows, about 15 arrows and a further 10 shafts ready to go , 6 knifes, 4 hatchets , 3 hacksaw, 5 flares, loads of hooks and lines , 2 lanterns tons of meds. got a good routine at the moment head out to check my 9 snares ,(a further 8 snares made up ready to go.. and 7 reclaimed wood stocked just in case ..haha ) harvest ..get back to camp, head out to fish for a few hours .. sorted.  ive lost track of how many skins i have throughout all the maps and i know i have more tools at the light house and coastal highway,  was going to check the coast line to see what washes up?? so what have you guys found washed up??

Why are you cooking every other day instead of once every week or so? Also, why aren't you taking a bear when it's available and just using the fish and rabbits to supplement that between spawns? Rabbit and fish are the most inefficient wild game, as far as time, weight, and calories spent versus calories gained. At over 400 days in, your cooking should be mastered, so parasites wouldn't be an issue, and even if it is, you can still eat the bear at least once a day with very little concern about parasites. It's one thing to rely on fish and rabbit when you don't have the means to take down bigger game, but you clearly do.

I mean, sure, I could also understand it from the point of just trying to keep busy though. I know I start getting really bored about 140 days in because I've got a ton of food and water stockpiled. That's also why I tend to die about 150 days in, because I start doing risky things out of boredom... lemme go bow hunt those 4 closely packed wolves over there because, meh, nothin' better to do... :dead:

31 minutes ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

@Pillock is there a list somewhere of potential beach loot?

I don't know about a list, but I can tell you what I've found in the past:

Cloth, sticks, reclaimed wood, saplings (cured and green), raw fish, cat tails, tinder, logs... old boots, shopping trolleys, used johnnys... maybe not the last three. 

Apparently scrap metal can show up, but I can't remember ever finding any myself.

1 hour ago, Richt3a said:

50 matches lasting 400 days!! .your hoping a bit .. haha ,.the parts of the game you cant control is when your exploring and you stumble across some wolves.. i tend to out sprint them but im abit slower at the moment with the new clothes thingy.. thou ive heard it re generates quicker so should balance out. but if you cant then thats when you have to unexpectedly use your matches to light a torch.  I am starting to cook every other day to make the matches last which i can probably extend , never used the magnifying glass but will definitely be trying it from now on , but have found very few days good enough to use it. Before i figured out that leaving meat outside slows the food going off so quickly i couldnt stock pile the food so much, now i have a shed load of fish , tons of rabbit and half a deer left. just at mystery lake where i am at the moment i have.. 2 rifles, about 25 rounds, 3 bows, about 15 arrows and a further 10 shafts ready to go , 6 knifes, 4 hatchets , 3 hacksaw, 5 flares, loads of hooks and lines , 2 lanterns tons of meds. got a good routine at the moment head out to check my 9 snares ,(a further 8 snares made up ready to go.. and 7 reclaimed wood stocked just in case ..haha ) harvest ..get back to camp, head out to fish for a few hours .. sorted.  ive lost track of how many skins i have throughout all the maps and i know i have more tools at the light house and coastal highway,  was going to check the coast line to see what washes up?? so what have you guys found washed up??

Yeah, I was being a bit ambitious with that first bit, maybe. But once you get into a routine of only lighting fires when it's sunny so you can use the meg lens, then burning the fire for as long as you can in mammoth fishing/boiling/cooking sessions, it's surprising how seldom you ever use matches anymore. As you say, for emergency wolf deterrent only.

1 hour ago, SteelFire said:

Why are you cooking every other day instead of once every week or so? Also, why aren't you taking a bear when it's available and just using the fish and rabbits to supplement that between spawns? Rabbit and fish are the most inefficient wild game, as far as time, weight, and calories spent versus calories gained. At over 400 days in, your cooking should be mastered, so parasites wouldn't be an issue, and even if it is, you can still eat the bear at least once a day with very little concern about parasites. It's one thing to rely on fish and rabbit when you don't have the means to take down bigger game, but you clearly do.

I mean, sure, I could also understand it from the point of just trying to keep busy though. I know I start getting really bored about 140 days in because I've got a ton of food and water stockpiled. That's also why I tend to die about 150 days in, because I start doing risky things out of boredom... lemme go bow hunt those 4 closely packed wolves over there because, meh, nothin' better to do... :dead:

Well i have been cooking daily for the last 435 days !! So I must be doing something right  . My initial concern if I collect rabbit and fish all week and leave on the porch to finally cook on the 7th day lets say .. Would be the condition of the meat and then there's cooking it all .. That would take hours!!! .. So what's the degradation time on meat left out side guys?? Regarding the bear , (your not an American with a thirst for shooting everything that moves are you !! Haha) I simply don't need to kill him , doing just fine with fish and bunnies!  , also I'm really trying to survive as long as I can,that includes taking less risks and I can't be arsed to tackle him . About 200 days in I did shoot a bear and he did die eventually  , but he ran off and I lost him 

38 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Yeah, I was being a bit ambitious with that first bit, maybe. But once you get into a routine of only lighting fires when it's sunny so you can use the meg lens, then burning the fire for as long as you can in mammoth fishing/boiling/cooking sessions, it's surprising how seldom you ever use matches anymore. As you say, for emergency wolf deterrent only.

Yeah I'm going try working the cooking around when I get ignition from the lens, sounds a good idea, so who else cooks every day ?? Surely not just me !! Haha

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:14 PM, Pillock said:

For me, the game becomes much more fun when resources start to get scarce.

Amen. The most exciting (and therefore best) parts of this game are the very beginning, when you have crap clothes, no shelter, and no tools. And the distant future, when you are finally starting to run out of things again. The middle part is the part that gets a little grindy, and the excess that players like me who spend their time amassing loot into central locations makes the game feel a little easy. But once you are faced with dwindling match supplies, or dwindling ammo, the game starts to get more exciting as you're forced to use mag glass, or bow and arrow more, and change up your playstyle to conserve/stretch out your life.

14 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I light at least one fire most days on Stalker. But I've never got anywhere near surviving long enough to run out of matches.

Ditto. On my last Stalker playthrough, I found 3 firestarters over the first 200 days. I only used those as they give the best odds of lighting fires. By the time all three had broken, I had Level 5 mastered my firestarting. Then by that time, I had hundreds and hundreds of unused matches. As a multi-map looter, I have never gotten to the point where I've needed to conserve matches (but when I do, I'll have multiple mag glasses as Plan C). I need to dive into Interloper next...

20 minutes ago, GorillaDust said:

Amen. The most exciting (and therefore best) parts of this game are the very beginning, when you have crap clothes, no shelter, and no tools. And the distant future, when you are finally starting to run out of things again. The middle part is the part that gets a little grindy, and the excess that players like me who spend their time amassing loot into central locations makes the game feel a little easy. But once you are faced with dwindling match supplies, or dwindling ammo, the game starts to get more exciting as you're forced to use mag glass, or bow and arrow more, and change up your playstyle to conserve/stretch out your life.

Ditto. On my last Stalker playthrough, I found 3 firestarters over the first 200 days. I only used those as they give the best odds of lighting fires. By the time all three had broken, I had Level 5 mastered my firestarting. Then by that time, I had hundreds and hundreds of unused matches. As a multi-map looter, I have never gotten to the point where I've needed to conserve matches (but when I do, I'll have multiple mag glasses as Plan C). I need to dive into Interloper next...

My problem at the moment is that Stalker feels like a walk in the park, whereas Interloper kills me inside 3 days on most attempts, and by about day 8 if I do well! Both feel repetitive, if for very different reasons!

I dunno, maybe it's just that my current Stalker game started me on Coastal Highway, which is always loot galore. I'm into week 3 of survival and I haven't actually done any 'surviving' yet - no hunting, no fishing, no rabbiting, no crafting. I did shoot a couple of wolves a few days back, but that was just to keep the pesky varmints out of the Townsite.

I'm going to play the Challenges as a bit of variation, I think.

5 minutes ago, Pillock said:

My problem at the moment is that Stalker feels like a walk in the park, whereas Interloper kills me inside 3 days on most attempts, and by about day 8 if I do well! Both feel repetitive, if for very different reasons!

I dunno, maybe it's just that my current Stalker game started me on Coastal Highway, which is always loot galore. I'm into week 3 of survival and I haven't actually done any 'surviving' yet - no, hunting, no fishing, no rabbiting, no crafting. I did shoot a couple of wolves a few days back, but that was just to keep the pesky varmints out of the Townsite.

Amen (again). In the last four months I have swapped between Stalker and Interloper. Prior to the FM update, all three Stalker runs have gotten well past 150 days. I have tried Interloper twice and died within 24 hours both times. The happy medium I have found for a good challenge is Forlorn Muskeg-only Stalker runs. Died twice around 25 days each time, because I don't know the map and had my starting clothes shredded to pieces by wolves before I could find a crafting table. Great challenge so far - on my third run now.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

There is certainly some nice variation with the challenges although the longer ones can be a bit repetitive. Whiteout for instance would be much better if instead of a list of items they just turned off cabin fever and had you try and live for a month in a blizzard.

Also, welcome to the forums @PINGU ^_^

I've done Whiteout. It was ridiculously easy, and I was really surprised that you are allowed to finish the challenge when it's still weeks until the storm arrives: I had enough supplies to last out the impending blizzard, but not for the intervening period as well!

Your version actually sounds really good. Not saying I could do it, but it'd be fun to try.

2 hours ago, Richt3a said:

Well i have been cooking daily for the last 435 days !! So I must be doing something right  . My initial concern if I collect rabbit and fish all week and leave on the porch to finally cook on the 7th day lets say .. Would be the condition of the meat and then there's cooking it all .. That would take hours!!! .. So what's the degradation time on meat left out side guys?? Regarding the bear , (your not an American with a thirst for shooting everything that moves are you !! Haha) I simply don't need to kill him , doing just fine with fish and bunnies!  , also I'm really trying to survive as long as I can,that includes taking less risks and I can't be arsed to tackle him . About 200 days in I did shoot a bear and he did die eventually  , but he ran off and I lost him 

Oh no, it'll take hours. :P How many hours a day are you spending fishing and checking snares. Take a day off and cook.

No, I don't want to just shoot everything. For me, it tends to be simply a matter of efficiency. There are a few bears that you can hunt pretty safely: ML, lake bear; CH, ocean bear; PV; farmstead bear. There's open shelter you can shoot them from without them being able to maul you in return. You've got to draw them in, but that's easy with a bear. For the time I spend leading the bear where I want it (5-10 minutes), shooting it, waiting for it to die (assuming no critical kill), and harvesting... it's very efficient. At master cooking, a kilo chunk of bear meat is worth about 1200 calories and a single bear yields ~30 kilos. So, for a day of effort, adding up hunting, harvesting, and combined cook time (whether all at once or in smaller batches) you're looking at ~36000 calories gained. If you're taking in about a quarter of that a day snaring and fishing, you're doing good. So, it's efficient.

As for outdoor meat storage... Raw meat does degrade faster than cooked meat, but it's fine to store it raw for a while as it's still a slow decay. Track it for a few days, you'll see. The trick is, with something like a big bear, you want to harvest as soon after killing it as possible, because meat left on a carcass decays rapidly. So, I'll usually harvest like 10kg at a time and dump it on the ground, repeat until done, and then transport back home in batches as convenient. When you cook the meat it goes up in quality, so you can take raw meat that's around 60% and get cooked meat that's over 90% quality.

4 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I've done Whiteout. It was ridiculously easy, and I was really surprised that you are allowed to finish the challenge when it's still weeks until the storm arrives: I had enough supplies to last out the impending blizzard, but not for the intervening period as well!

Your version actually sounds really good. Not saying I could do it, but it'd be fun to try.

Same. I was taking my time and actually over-gathering supplies, on the assumption I would have to also survive the days until the blizzard and have the proper amounts of everything when that day arrived.

9 minutes ago, SteelFire said:

Same. I was taking my time and actually over-gathering supplies, on the assumption I would have to also survive the days until the blizzard and have the proper amounts of everything when that day arrived.

I was doing the same thing and then the challenge... abruptly ended with a black screen :D

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, Pillock said:

All other necessary resources are infinite (theoretically), if you consider beachcombing.

This has been an interesting exchange of information. I was a little surprised by not seeing the "whetstone" listed as a critical consumable.

5 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

This has been an interesting exchange of information. I was a little surprised by not seeing the "whetstone" listed as a critical consumable.

That's because - read the thread carefully - you don't need it. It will sharpen the knife and/or hatchet, but you neither need the former nor the latter for long-term survival. You can rely on the hacksaw or even on your hands.

3 hours ago, Hotzn said:

you don't need it

I do understand that most of the critical work does not require knife/hatchet. Further I do understand the idea of utilizing improvised tools made using the forge. Please check me on this, but the hacksaw is not usable to craft clothing nor to craft the bow nor the arrow shafts...hence, whetstones are elevated to a critical need. If you harvest all the birch and maple and old bedrolls and pillows prior to exhausting your knife then your hacksaw/bare-hand survival strategy holds true...you only lose animal quartering. I am sure in future we will see "improvised whetstone", because oh yeah, 'Rule #3: Always carry a good knife'.

Welcome to the forums @s7mar7in ^_^

The "hard core" players likely don't consider the whetstone essential because they don't value clothing repair. Once the temperature starts dropping in interloper speed is more important than warmth. I remember there's more than one thread about nudist interloper runs :D 

Additionally, as long as you can find scrap metal (hacksaw), coal, and cloth, you can always forge new knives as you run out. 

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

you can always forge new knives as you run out

Thank you for the welcome and the long-game/hard-core point of view. For me, I'm still a wolf-bait player. I love playing Interloper but I do no last much beyond (60) days with lots of caution and good luck. I've been in Stalker lately while trying to complete the all skills at level 5, and if lucky it would be nice to complete my (500) days. I am hoping for continued good luck and look forward to getting back into Interloper.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so 1. i think that if any fire starter should be added it should be a bow drill can be made with any wood ,stick, gut and tinder is needed no matter what

2.i do think bone for a hook is a great idea since we do not get bones from animals yet and i am all for being able to use all of the animal

3. arrow head should be bone as well or if you pick up small stones you can craft them into arrow heads i think if anything there should be classes of arrow head metal, bone and stone . metal being the stronger of the two doing more damage, honestly i try to be sure i get my arrows back in decent condition then break them down for the stuff i normally only loose like 5 arrow heads over 200 days so thats not bad when hunting i get most back, as for the needing the quality tools for the hammer the way this works best is us quality tools to repair the hammer till you run it almost ruined but not then use the normal tools to fix the quality ones the quality one in general use up less % to fix things then the normal tools so if you need to fix things use the quality tools then repair them useing the normal tools 

4. yes i want a rabbit hat and scarf i would also like to be able to use rabit fur to make a blanket something that you can carry with you to add to the warmth of any bedroll or bed ! i think a hat should use like 8 fur the scarf 6 and the blanket 40. 

5. agree again bone would work well

6. bone would be more likely for axe as well 

7. so heres the thing when a trap breaks you get the wood back one reclaimed wood makes unlimited traps as long as you have guts

• 1 month later...

One small comment; while bone tipped arrows were effective in certain specialised types of hunting, they have no greater capacity for creating a wound on a large mammal like a fox or deer, than a simple wooden arrow. Wooden arrows would be your solution, but they would have to be substantially less capable than metal tipped ones.

• 5 months later...

So mega win we are getting the Rabbit Hat in the upcoming patch according to LMG (youtuber); and also sort of implied with some of the newer images about the upcoming update.  There may also be other things added; Personally Im crossing my fingers for a fire piston and possibly the bone or stone arrow heads.  Lets face it sometimes Interloper does not want to cough up items when you are desperate. Im holding out that at some point in the story line; now that they have new animaters that we will get more wildlife; foxes, squirrels, possibly some new fish.  The game defiantly has aged well since Ive been playing it.

Archived