diggity

Don't want to play with dolls

Sorry to be a naysayer here - but I'm not happy with this update.  My precious gametime is limited and I really really don't want to spend it, on this game, staring at my closet wondering what to wear for the day.  That's kinda what it feels like now. Maybe if you could pull the camera out, a nice standard 3rd person view and see what your toon is wearing it would be more interesting, but still.     I only played with this update for a half hour but that was my impression.

And didn't the wolfcoat used to give a full 7 degrees warmth, now it's around 4 degrees? 

It seems like the devs are trying to make the game harder and harder, but in the wrong direction - there should be more to do out in the world, build a shack to smoke fish, chop down a tree, tie ribbons around trees to help with navigation, draw your own map with a pencil and paper, that sort of thing.  I really dislike worrying about clothes.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but by learning to render clothes they are teaching themselves how to render other things.  Like maybe one day: people.  And they will eventually need to learn how to do that to eventually finish the game.  Baby steps.

14 minutes ago, diggity said:

Sorry to be a naysayer here - but I'm not happy with this update.  My precious gametime is limited and I really really don't want to spend it, on this game, staring at my closet wondering what to wear for the day.  That's kinda what it feels like now. Maybe if you could pull the camera out, a nice standard 3rd person view and see what your toon is wearing it would be more interesting, but still.     I only played with this update for a half hour but that was my impression.

And didn't the wolfcoat used to give a full 7 degrees warmth, now it's around 4 degrees? 

It seems like the devs are trying to make the game harder and harder, but in the wrong direction - there should be more to do out in the world, build a shack to smoke fish, chop down a tree, tie ribbons around trees to help with navigation, draw your own map with a pencil and paper, that sort of thing.  I really dislike worrying about clothes.

Yeah initially I did think the same, I didn't want the clothing menu to become too complicated, of course clothing is one of the most important things to think about in such dire weather conditions  but I suppose I just didn't want to spend to much time mucking around in this menu . Once you've set your character up i find you don't need to go back so I can spend the rest of my time getting out and enjoying myself ... Maybe bare with fella . How many maps have you explored ?

54 minutes ago, Richt3a said:

Yeah initially I did think the same, I didn't want the clothing menu to become too complicated, of course clothing is one of the most important things to think about in such dire weather conditions  but I suppose I just didn't want to spend to much time mucking around in this menu . Once you've set your character up i find you don't need to go back so I can spend the rest of my time getting out and enjoying myself ... Maybe bare with fella . How many maps have you explored ?

I haven't been to the new map yet, but explored all the others.  I'm currently in TM.  Yes, clothing is important of course, but if you were in an absolute dire survival situation like this, probably you would just wrap a bed blanket around yourself, tie it off with some string and make do with that as long as you had to.   Now I have to worry out my inner gear, my outer (can you put the new bearskin coat over the wolfskin?) and think about the weight.  It's just not what I want to do.  I think they said somewhere about changing clothes per situation. I don't think so, not here.  You're going to put something on and never change it, except to sleep.  Do you want to go skiing or spend most of the day trying stuff on in the ski lodge?  

Also I find the paper doll interface a little clunky for my taste, and yes that's being picky but oh well.

Edited by diggity
type

I tend to agree here.  But then my enjoyment of this game has been going downhill for a while now, the rot set in with the parasites and cabin fever imo.

I can quite happily live without the paperdoll bit, and what is with this thin ice bit on still water ( Forlorn Muskeg )? I can get that on CH and DP where it is apparently saltwater, but shallow fresh water in an area where it never gets above freezing?

2 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

I tend to agree here.  But then my enjoyment of this game has been going downhill for a while now, the rot set in with the parasites and cabin fever imo.

I can quite happily live without the paperdoll bit, and what is with this thin ice bit on still water ( Forlorn Muskeg )? I can get that on CH and DP where it is apparently saltwater, but shallow fresh water in an area where it never gets above freezing?

Interesting point. Haven't been there yet, but yeah that would make no sense at all, not in this climate. 

1 hour ago, selfless said:

Yeah, but by learning to render clothes they are teaching themselves how to render other things.  Like maybe one day: people.  And they will eventually need to learn how to do that to eventually finish the game.  Baby steps.

Baby steps?  Can't render people? I thought this studio was full of senior devs with tons of experience from other major game studios?  I know it's not a huge American shop like Bethesda with a multi-million dollar budget, and that's what I love about it.  Still a bit surprising to hear that.

1 hour ago, diggity said:

Baby steps?  Can't render people? I thought this studio was full of senior devs with tons of experience from other major game studios?  I know it's not a huge American shop like Bethesda with a multi-million dollar budget, and that's what I love about it.  Still a bit surprising to hear that.

Yes, partly why they're taking storymode slow is because theyre having trouble animating humans. (They were doing fine with 2D motion graphics for interactions but discontinued it, for the reason of staying in the game world as much as possible.) The motion graphics will stay for the cinematics thankfully cause I think theyre beautiful. But yes theyre having trouble animating 3d humans.

2 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

Bogs and swamps generate internal heat from decay processes of all the rotting material. Natural springs (moving water) can also result in thin ice.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, diggity said:

I haven't been to the new map yet, but explored all the others.  I'm currently in TM.  Yes, clothing is important of course, but if you were in an absolute dire survival situation like this, probably you would just wrap a bed blanket around yourself, tie it off with some string and make do with that as long as you had to.   Now I have to worry out my inner gear, my outer (can you put the new bearskin coat over the wolfskin?) and think about the weight.  It's just not what I want to do.  I think they said somewhere about changing clothes per situation. I don't think so, not here.  You're going to put something on and never change it, except to sleep.  Do you want to go skiing or spend most of the day trying stuff on in the ski lodge?  

Also I find the paper doll interface a little clunky for my taste, and yes that's being picky but oh well.

The reality is that weight versus warmth was always an issue. A lot people didn't even bother with it though and just slapped on all the crafted fur gear once they had it, because it was the warmest, and disregarded the fact that it was way heavier. If you want, you can still do that, just stack on the warmest stuff you've got and go for it, that just may not completely be all the fur gear now.

Plenty of us like being able to balance weight versus warmth, dryness, and mobility. I suppose there's the defense stat too, but I don't personally worry about that too much, as I try to avoid needing that aspect. :) Choice is always good and the new system gives you as much or as little of that as you want.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Bogs and swamps generate internal heat from decay processes of all the rotting material. Natural springs (moving water) can also result in thin ice.

Science. Pfft, who needs it. :P

Edited by SteelFire
  • Upvote 2

To an extent I have to agree with the OP on this one.

I'm still on the fence about the new clothing system. I'm not keen on the whole "keep a seperate set of clothes" deal especially when you have to manage each piece of gear manually.

They could mitigate this by allowing players to save setups of gear. IE: Wear a set of gear how you like and then create a "profile". Wear another set of gear and create another "profile". Then changing clothes can easily be done with a click.

I guess the issue then is how it would refer to where the clothing physically is - they would need to limit it to;

* If the clothing is carried by the player. (Unlikely to carry two sets anyway.)
* If the clothing is within vicinity. (Impractical.)
* If the clothing is indoors. (Then what about "indoor" areas like in Timberwolf Mountain?)

There don't appear to be many easy answers. I will affirm however, that like the OP, I am not a fan of micromanaging gear.

I've found the system pretty easy to use, with minimal time taken to get used to it. But then, I play on interloper, and I have one desire - get as warm as possible. So, wearing different kinds of clothing depending on how fast I want to move etc., that's not something I bother with. Maybe that's why I don't mind?

Love the paper doll interface, and the fact that we can wear layers. We now have more things to collect and wear, each of which does a little bit less to protect us than before. That makes sense I think.

I for one feel totally indifferent about the new clothing system.  It neither adds anything to my personal enjoyment, nor does it bother me overly much.

However, I do find it a bit regrettable that different clothing choices like e.g. a heavy max. warmth vs. a light max. speed set aren't equally feasible (or enjoyable) to play. I've really tried to enjoy some kind of roleplaying  with my fully fur-geared Astrid Bearslayer character, but the movement restrictions of the bear coats are so darn annoying I couldn't stand it any more at some point and changed back to light gear.

As for stats like water resistance or defense.. no idea, but I completely ignore them. My clothes hardly ever get more than 20% wet anyway and I definitely don't plan my gear with the intent to hand-fight wolves. (As I usually manage to either avoid, deter or bow-shoot them 99% of the time.)

I really can't see how the game became more time consuming, it just expanded in a deep but easy to manage way a core aspect of the gameplay.

I notice you would like to add a bunch of stuff just for the sake of having "more things". That's exactly the opposite that this game aim to do, no game is perfect and no game should please everyone. They are adding plenty of stuff with each update and they'll keep do it (check the roadmap) but adding things requires time and attention for them and I personally respect it and like it very much.

Edited by togg

My feelings with the new system are on the grey area as well. I appreciate the variety introduced: before the crafted clothes were no brainers, but I don't really enjoy the over-management in clothing. Too many layers to accomplish the same thing. 

More options are always welcome... but I don't really see the benefits of the new system worth the management and it turns quite heavy on resources like cloth. The movement penalties and weights of some clothing items are a bit over the top. 

I just had about 4-5 hours of experience though, so my opinion may change in the future. Further tuning is not only necessary but has been confirmed already in Raph's twitter (next patch will add some changes)

I love paperdolls (maybe the woman face could be a little more feminine). But for the immersion, it would be better to see of weared clothes at first person view.

• Upvote 1

For me personally ladies and gents .. When I switch the game on I'm excited about exploring the world, managing my supplies, planning ahead battling nature and wildlife. I mean I trekked into Muskeg the other day and I'm not joking but my adrenaline was going and I think I held my breath when I flanked a bear just as the wind picked up ! Haha , talk about needing a stiff drink , just never knowing if this is my last walkabout . devs, please don't take that feeling away from me ? Keep the balance between exciting and mundane duties . Tbh I've switched off a bit looking at the clothing stats ,up out of bed and off we go !!!  One happy gamer