UI/the obscurity of decay rates

octavian

I think/hope with a next UI pass - or cooking overhaul - at the very least all foods - if not all items - should intuitively make it clear to the player their decay rate "state".

When I started playing TLD I expected meat left outside to decay slower - which was not the case. In the same way a player, now, could wrongly assume that foods decay the same inside and outside since neither the tooltip ( or anything else ) doesn't give any info about the decay rate being different inside compared to outside.

screen_90321be1-8146-46bf-a1e2-164ba25cefc9.jpg

To make condition % and decay rate even more confusing, some items decay slower inside and faster outside - if that didn't change - and some don't decay at all,

screen_c4472f03-dff9-4241-aecc-f87e801ddad9.jpg

but they still kept their condition %, which not only keeps them from stacking but could also lead a player to believe that they do decay, or that their condition has bearing on something.

Just like cans you can heat tell you on the tooltip if they're heated or not, maybe in the same manner ( or other ) items could tell you about their decay rate "state".

screen_e6f5f07c-2285-431c-83cd-c8948597c2bb.jpg

Ultimately I think that condition % is a bit too much information, and maybe - with some changes and additions - there would be a way to remove condition % completely from all items.

A torch, I don't need to know its condition %. I'd prefer an estimate of remaining burn time, which I already do in my head when I look at condition %.

Tools, the same; I would prefer an estimate number of uses left which I already do when I look at condition % - although there it's a bit more complicated since decay rates vary depending on what you do with the tool.

Archived