Wendigo Idea (Warning: Really creepy)

furball444

Okay, first off I know this idea is really far fetched compared to the realism in TLD but I just want some people to give it some thought. There's this legend of this thing called the "Wendigo" in the Northern United States and Canada. It is one of the scariest cryptids (Bigfoot, Lochness, etc)  I have ever seen.  I'm not going to go into detail, but i'll post a link so you can read about it. 

Imagine if something like this was put into the game. It would make it soooooo creepy and scary. Of course it would be extremely rare (Like one in the whole world). It is known to eat human flesh (it's a human that cannibalizes others). It would be great for people wanting a harder difficulty. 

128759273439213178401801197_Wendigo.jpgWendigo.jpg

This is what they are said to look like. 

http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/wendigo-legend.html

Even though it seems interesting, I feel like The Long Dark should stick to realism, its a realistic survival game after all, and second of all. Not everyone are fan of creepy/horror elements. (Even though I'm a fan of horror games myself) I think that TLD as is right now can be quite tense at times, and adding some monster would not appeal to everybody. 

Although.. Maybe a new optional gamemode with fantasy elements and monsters? 

9 minutes ago, SDStasis said:

Even though it seems interesting, I feel like The Long Dark should stick to realism, its a realistic survival game after all, and second of all. Not everyone are fan of creepy/horror elements. (Even though I'm a fan of horror games myself) I think that TLD as is right now can be quite tense at times, and adding some monster would not appeal to everybody. 

Although.. Maybe a new optional gamemode with fantasy elements and monsters? 

You have a good point.

I long considered this same thing, that a Wendigo would be the ultimate payload to this game's feel and setting - when relegated to a Halloween event, of course, and not in the game proper.  The game is ambiently creepy, the stage is perfectly set for the sort of pants-filling terror not seen since the first time Fluffy said hello while you had your nose in a Carter Hydro Dam locker.

The way I would envision this happening is that, during the event, it would spawn in locations where a deer normally would.  While the player is a certain distance away, it looks and behaves exactly like a deer would.  Once you are within about double deer detection range, the "deer" you're stalking ...stands up.  An unnatural animation where it arises on its hind legs and looks at the player.  It then follows the bear charge AI, using the human run animation from story mode but with a custom skeleton, complete with bear-charge speed.

Odds of player death: high

Odds of YouTube videos of people shrieking like they were playing Amnesia: high

:)

I looked up Wendigo on the forums and found several people who were asking for them to be added. TLD has the perfect atmosphere and setting for the Wendigo. The other thing is maybe instead of making the Wendigo a creature you can find (or interact with), it should be a creature you can become. Okay, I know this sounds weird for a game like TLD but I actually have some reasoning behind it. There's this mental disease called Wendigo Psychosis, there is evidence that it exists but hasn't actually been proven. The disease starts when you eat human flesh. If the person gets Wendigo Psychosis then he/she will get an addiction to eat human flesh. Of course, TLD would need to add cannibalism (eating dead corpses) before this feature could be added. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5946814/wendigo-psychosis-the-probably-fake-disease-that-turns-people-into-cannibals

First off i want to state that I agree that The Long Dark is no place for zombies and the like, and id rather see it in a mod rather than have it be some official developement.

However, ill join the discussion because its something I definitely have interest in.^_^

The Wendigo originated from Native American culture and the landscape and feel of the game would suit it well! 

Wendigos are very creepy, most active in the winter months they said to have once been a cannibal themselves and was cursed, they usually target people as a punishment for cannabalism (even if they resorted on harsh times).

@furball444, i guess thats why its called wendigo psychosis eh? After typing this I just read your article and it summed it up too, oops haha.

They also give said person plenty of time in advance to know they are about to meet their dooms. The victim will hear their calls in the wind, and only they can hear their calls, they eventually become so terrified that they lose all sense of reason and are compelled to run off into the woods from their group or camp in an attempt to escape the monster, this however only leads them to their doom.

If a mod were to add cannibalism, but punish you for it by adding one of these... id probably starve to death before touching that corpse!

(Some legends say it doesnt have to be cannibalism but murder and the likes too)

Yeah, it would probably be best if it was a mod. The majority of the people playing would most likely want to stick to the realism (Even though I think Wendigo Psychosis could be a real mental disease). I just feel like it was meant to be, the Wendigo would fit SO WELL in TLD. 

Apparently there are different stories about how the wendigo is created. MarrowStone you said that the Wendigo will come and haunt you if you cannibalize others and/or murdur others. I said the Wendigo is created when someone (a normal human being trying to survive) Cannibalizes and then gets addicted to the taste of human flesh. There are different legends too on how it is summoned/created. I think both ideas would be good because they both have consequences for cannibalizing others (If cannibilism was added to the game)

That is interesting @furball444, perhaps i was taught wrong. It makes more sense your way, i was taught that you become a wendigo if you become addicted and possesed by its spirit, but are preyed upon by it if you dont.

Your description of the legend makes more sense because its more indiscriminate on whos the victim of its antics.

1 hour ago, Silverhour said:

I predict that when modding happens, there will be several Cryptid mods available, hopefully all compatible, that will include things like Bigfoot/Yeti, Krampus, Wendigo, and any others people come up with.

Hopefully mods will be available for Xbox One. 

Personally, although this is a modding type deal only, (let's face it, the deb's wouldn't go for it. Make a whole new creature for halloween only? probably not) I like the idea of a wendigo. Bigfoot would be cool, but wendigos look terrifying! I would literally fill my pants if I caught sight of one of those s.o.b.s. But alas, I like sticking to realism with dev additions. If modding is added, shoot for the stars, man...

If you would want some more horror elements in the game. Why not add some kind of mental health mechanic (stress?) in the game. Long time social isolation could make you prone to hallucinations (almost completely audible hallucinations) without being psychotic. We are able to hear audible "mistranslations" even in peak mental health, because a unclear sound can be translated in your brain as something you are familiar with. Our brains tend to fill in the blanks when the information is uncomplete.

E.g. after day 30 (not perhaps so realistic but some compromises are needed) you start hearing wolves/bear at very infrequent intervals.  Increased likelihood when in distress (you are now actively searching for danger in your surrounding, in other words alot more "false alarms").

12 hours ago, Don Honas said:

E.g. after day 30 (not perhaps so realistic but some compromises are needed) you start hearing wolves/bear at very infrequent intervals.  Increased likelihood when in distress (you are now actively searching for danger in your surrounding, in other words alot more "false alarms").

That would be creepy as hell... I'm already paranoid enough as it is that I will stumble into a wolf or bear, now I start to hear them when they aren't actually around? Yikes! Add to that the occasional human voice, someone saying 'Hey!' or calling out for help. Even visual hallucinations like mistaking a bush for someone waving at you, or thinking you see one of the corpses move. Man that would mess with your head.

3 hours ago, Silverhour said:

That would be creepy as hell... I'm already paranoid enough as it is that I will stumble into a wolf or bear, now I start to hear them when they aren't actually around? Yikes! Add to that the occasional human voice, someone saying 'Hey!' or calling out for help. Even visual hallucinations like mistaking a bush for someone waving at you, or thinking you see one of the corpses move. Man that would mess with your head.

That, my friend, would work better than laxative, if you know what I mean

16 hours ago, Don Honas said:

If you would want some more horror elements in the game. Why not add some kind of mental health mechanic (stress?) in the game. Long time social isolation could make you prone to hallucinations (almost completely audible hallucinations) without being psychotic. We are able to hear audible "mistranslations" even in peak mental health, because a unclear sound can be translated in your brain as something you are familiar with. Our brains tend to fill in the blanks when the information is uncomplete.

Yes, this would definitely add some juiciness to the game and keep it "realistic"

On 1/4/2017 at 5:03 PM, MarrowStone said:

That is interesting @furball444, perhaps i was taught wrong. It makes more sense your way, i was taught that you become a wendigo if you become addicted and possesed by its spirit, but are preyed upon by it if you dont.

Your description of the legend makes more sense because its more indiscriminate on whos the victim of its antics.

Here is a video to clear up the confusion.

Archived