More Reason To Go Out Into The Wild

madrepityu

I like to see more reason to go into the wild, after everything is gathered and the “secret” location found.

Right now, there’s not much to do outside after the player found every major location on the map, gathered all the items into one place, and found the “secret” location. Except hunting and foraging wood.

It would be nice to have some regenerating loot in the less frequent regions of the map. I’m not asking for unrealistic things, only wood, tinder and maybe cloth.

So, there would always be a reason to go out and look around. Finding wood and tinder in a forest day by day are not unreal, imho. There’s always be a fallen bough, piece of wood after a blizzard. Windstorm can blow the snow away from stuffs. What was under the snow yesterday may become visible tomorrow. It’s a perfect reason to have regenerating loot outside.

I can imagine little dry fungus on the tree’s bole. It would harvested into a tinder. Or pine needles on the ground. Boiling water into pine needles tea would be awesome.

I would also love to see some event or condition which would forces the player (or it would beneficial for him) to go out at night or in a blizzard. I don’t know any realistic reason right now, but I’m keep thinking of it. Maybe they will put something like this only in story mode.

What do you think, Guys?

I say +1 for finding tinder/the odd log out in the forest.

However, for the event to force a player out at night or into a blizzard? No thanks. This game is about making my own decisions. If there's a blizzard, I decide to stay inside, nobody would go out into a blizzard unless absolutely necessary. As for going out at night, if you need to find shelter or find some food, you can absolutely do that. The sandbox is all about what situation you are in and what you must do to survive. The "event" to force players outside at bad times is there, and that "event" is starvation and the need for wood, among other things.

Respawning(slowly) loot should not be too unrealistic and unfaithful to the theme. Since this post solar storm world still has survivors(they just aren't in the game yet), it would be expected that from time to time other survivors would take shelter in abandoned houses and maybe leave stuff behind if they had to leave in a hurry, or got eaten by wolves while foraging.

You aren't the only living person left after all, so new stuff would reappear from time to time.

Gameplay-vise this also would give you a reason to re-check areas that you have already checked. Now there is absolutely no reason to go back anywhere. In my opinion the rate of respawning should be very slow to make it not feel too gamey. So no magically appearing full shelves of food every morning at 7, like in the local super-market.

So if you found some odd can of food or some cloth in a house you cleared two weeks ago or so, would be acceptable in my opinion.

That got me thinking how cool it would be if you found some pile of food somewhere, decided to take it all only to find out that it belonged to someone else stash and now they are pissed off at you, and will attack you on sight. I don't know how the NPC survivors will be implemented and how big their range of independence will be (do they have actual lives and routines, or do they just stand somewhere 247) so this is highly speculative.

+1 for regenerating wood and tinder. I know you can always forage for wood/tinder; but atm that's just a little bit a boring mechanic imo, because of the black screen, it's much more exiting to go out into the forest and find it. I love your idea of finding pine needles for pine needle tea, it's warming and full of vitamine-c; just what I need on a cold day.

About going out in a blizzard: the only reason I could think of when I would go out in a blizzard is maybe if my shelter gets damaged during the storm, and I have to make emergency repairs to it. But nobody in his right mind would go outside for other reasons, except to avoid starvation; like Zmalski said. At least, I can't think of any.

I say +1 for finding tinder/the odd log out in the forest.

However, for the event to force a player out at night or into a blizzard? No thanks. This game is about making my own decisions. If there's a blizzard, I decide to stay inside, nobody would go out into a blizzard unless absolutely necessary. As for going out at night, if you need to find shelter or find some food, you can absolutely do that. The sandbox is all about what situation you are in and what you must do to survive. The "event" to force players outside at bad times is there, and that "event" is starvation and the need for wood, among other things.

Okay, let’s use the word beneficial instead of force.

Bad example: the dears sleeps at night, so they’re easier to shot. <- it’s a joke, so don’t take it serious.

You’re right, in a survival situation like this, it isn’t pretty wise decision to go outside after sunset or in a blizzard. That’s why it would cause some dilemma. And the final decision is up to the player.

Respawning(slowly) loot should not be too unrealistic and unfaithful to the theme...............

You're right! I did not dare to think about respawning loot inside cabins, because I know they want to make the game hard. It’s okay, I like that also.

I had similar thoughts about NPCs, just inversely: One day you arrived to your shelter (Camp office), just to found your door left open, footprints in the snow, and few of your gear missing. It would be a pretty scary and unsecure feeling! :twisted:

+1 for regenerating wood and tinder. I know you can always forage for wood/tinder; but atm that's just a little bit a boring mechanic imo, because of the black screen, it's much more exiting to go out into the forest and find it. I love your idea of finding pine needles for pine needle tea, it's warming and full of vitamine-c; just what I need on a cold day.

About going out in a blizzard: the only reason I could think of when I would go out in a blizzard is maybe if my shelter gets damaged during the storm, and I have to make emergency repairs to it. But nobody in his right mind would go outside for other reasons, except to avoid starvation; like Zmalski said. At least, I can't think of any.

About foraging: instead of the black screen I would be happy to gather wood and tinder “manually”. Absolutely agree with you: “it's much more exiting to go out into the forest and find it”

Yeah, you’re both right with Zmalski about that. But you also bring up a strong reason like the emergency repair on a shelter. I would love to do things like that! ;)

How about this. A blizzard comes along. A blizzard brings strong winds. Stong winds batter the trees. Dead branches naturally get snapped off, and ta-da!!! fall to the forest floor. Hence, after a blizzard, there will be a fresh supply of dried tinder and wood on the ground.

Also, after a blizzard, the winds may have shifted the snow around, covering up old corpses, and exposing new ones, or metal boxes, or plastic containters, or....

Item regneration, of man-made items, should be very low, more along the lines of exposing another cache here or there, not restocking old ones. However, item regeneration of natural items, like wood, tinder, animals, makes total sense.

How about this. A blizzard comes along. A blizzard brings strong winds. Stong winds batter the trees. Dead branches naturally get snapped off, and ta-da!!! fall to the forest floor. Hence, after a blizzard, there will be a fresh supply of dried tinder and wood on the ground.

Also, after a blizzard, the winds may have shifted the snow around, covering up old corpses, and exposing new ones, or metal boxes, or plastic containters, or....

Item regneration, of man-made items, should be very low, more along the lines of exposing another cache here or there, not restocking old ones. However, item regeneration of natural items, like wood, tinder, animals, makes total sense.

This is exactly what's my thinking!

And let's say, after a blizzard I would find enought wood and tinder. But, if I don't go out to collect them, then they would disappear again after a while, because of a windy day. Not all of them or random. Depends on the ingame weather. So, if the player stay home all day long, then there would be always the chance to miss something.

A giant blizzard comes, everything outside has a chance of despawning or respawning. That deer you shot two days ago, I hope you got all the meat, hide, and gut you could out of it because that blizzard last night made it disappear. Covered up by snow, moved by wolves (or worse!), it doesn't matter because it is gone.

Oh, look! A metal box!

A giant blizzard comes, everything outside has a chance of despawning or respawning. That deer you shot two days ago, I hope you got all the meat, hide, and gut you could out of it because that blizzard last night made it disappear. Covered up by snow, moved by wolves (or worse!), it doesn't matter because it is gone.

Oh, look! A metal box!

Yeah, it would be awesome! I think IRL wolfs would't leave what's left behind. I think they would show up after they smell the blood and eat everything right after the hunter left. That would be nasty in the game.

Loving these ideas! Active wood foraging is on top of my wish list, and fallen branches would make it perfect. Also it's quite easy to get dry wood off of fallen down trees. While we're on the subject of high winds, what if a tree falls on top of the cabin you have your base in? Imagine sleeping through a storm and waking up to loud bang. Definitely a reason to go outside again, try and find another home base.

Or how about one day you see a dead hanging high up in a tree from his parachute. No way to get him down, but you'd want to come back and check after every storm if he'd fallen down.

Finding fresh corpses might be worth considering. Instead of having all the corpses spawn at the very beginning. Have some spawn, remain for a few days, then they disappear. The idea being, maybe they were eaten and/or dragged away.

Perhaps then have two or three more randomly located corpses spawn in as if they were walking through the same area the night before and died for whatever reason.

This way the random corpses would provide a reason to go out and explore each day!

Of course if we are going to have this implemented I would like to see the indoor loot reduced significantly.

---

I also love the random wood/tinder lying around. Basically, what madrepityu said previously...

This makes complete sense, maybe with a one day bonus amount if it followed a blizzard / high winds...30 MPH or more. Then, you also benefit from keeping tabs on the weather even when your inside doing basic maintenance stuff. You'll always be thinking, 'Sounds a bit windy, I might want to step out and see exactly how bad it is. This might change my plans for tomorrow!'

But nothing ridiculous..it should still require a good bit of searching.

Finding fresh corpses might be worth considering. Instead of having all the corpses spawn at the very beginning. Have some spawn, remain for a few days, then they disappear. The idea being, maybe they were eaten and/or dragged away.

Perhaps then have two or three more randomly located corpses spawn in as if they were walking through the same area the night before and died for whatever reason.

This way the random corpses would provide a reason to go out and explore each day!

Of course if we are going to have this implemented I would like to see the indoor loot reduced significantly.

---

I also love the random wood/tinder lying around. Basically, what madrepityu said previously...

This makes complete sense, maybe with a one day bonus amount if it followed a blizzard / high winds...30 MPH or more. Then, you also benefit from keeping tabs on the weather even when your inside doing basic maintenance stuff. You'll always be thinking, 'Sounds a bit windy, I might want to step out and see exactly how bad it is. This might change my plans for tomorrow!'

But nothing ridiculous..it should still require a good bit of searching.

Hey Accurize!

Nice to see you, m8!

I like your idea about the random corpses. It would make sense.

About collecting wood/tinder: You're right, nothing ridiculous. But keep it mind that it wouldn't be like you just stand on the nice, windproof porch at Camp Office while foraging wood. It wouldn't be like, "oh well, I will burn 400 cal per hour, let's see how many wood I've got. And if it's getting cold I will go inside immediately."

God knows how many calories will burn till you'll find any wood, god knows what kind of weather you'll stuck when you far from your shelter, and god knows how many calories will burn while bringing the heavy wood back to Camp Office. So, in my opinion not the finding would be the hardes part of the story. ;)

Miss your videos! Any plan to continue your series? Don't matter if I can play the game now, I would also love to see your Life 32 Ep 99! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, The blizzard is just a powerful nature "RESWAPING" system.

BTW it might be the reason to stuff up your pack up to 50kg every time you go out :lol:

It would be nice to collect tinder and firewood myself. I believe it would take more time and calories than the current "forage wood" system.

Archived