cekivi

Forum Shortcuts, Codes, and Tips FAQ

Evening All,

This post is just a simple FAQ for the forums for our new members. The same questions keep getting asked so why not start and FAQ? The problem is, the only question I remember with any frequency is how to do spoiler tags so feel free to add the tips, tricks, and shortcuts that help you post ;)

For Spoiler Tags:

Write the following using square brackets [] as opposed to regular brackets ():

(spoiler) The stuff you don't want to spoil (/spoiler)

Like so:

You thought it'd be the same text didn't you?

^_^ 

Edited by cekivi
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

For single line spacing courtesy of @Mel Guille

On 1/25/2017 at 0:42 PM, stapeliad said:

How did you get your single line spacing? 

Hold down the Shift key while you press Enter and you'll get a line break without starting a new paragraph. :)

• Upvote 2

How do you do thing where you "mention" someone - like you have with Mel's name?

Also, for anyone interested: Alt+248 is the keyboard shortcut for the degrees symbol when talking about temperatures. As in -52°C, for example.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Pillock said:

How do you do thing where you "mention" someone - like you have with Mel's name?

Mentions are created by using the "@" symbol immediately followed by a member's forum name.

As you begin typing the letters of their handle, a drop menu should appear with a list of suggested names. @Pillock

• Upvote 1

As easy as that? You'd have thought I'd have tried that myself without having to ask, wouldn't you.

Thank you @Mel Guille.

• Upvote 3

If you want to only quote some text from a post, instead of quoting the entire post (by clicking on the Quote link):

• Highlight the text you would like to quote and a small - Quote this - bubble should pop up.  (If the bubble does not automatically pop up, you can right-click the highlighted text to get it to show up)

Quotes1.thumb.jpg.c186f5b5fb5060fe61cbc684d7a6df6f.jpg

• When you click on the - Quote this - bubble, the highlighted text will appear as a quote in the response window below and you can type your response below it.

Quotes2.thumb.jpg.25e40291726ab4c175c612768b4d1fe8.jpg

• Then if you want to include another quote, highlight that text and click the - Quote this - bubble to add that quote to the response window below.

Quotes3.thumb.jpg.55a0f8585f64d222dd98888aa73ec5ea.jpg

Quotes4.thumb.jpg.81d89281adfeaacb5602674f364e46b9.jpg

NOTE: The quoted text will appear in the response window wherever the cursor currently is.  So, if you want to have multiple quotes as shown in this example, hit Enter a couple of times (Or Shift+Enter) to move down a little to separate each quote and your response to it.

• Upvote 3

To insert an image into your post, either Drag and Drop an image into the Attachment area of the window or click on the - choose files - link.  Once the image is attached, you can insert it anywhere in your post by simply clicking on the attached image. 

Be sure to place your cursor in the spot where you would like your image to be displayed, such as between lines of text.

Images1.thumb.jpg.a8ad77a3aecb792388533b39fc027065.jpg

Images2.thumb.jpg.afc5e60c79b420823184fd1979fa28b2.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 2016-12-25 at 5:31 AM, cekivi said:

This post is just a simple FAQ for the forums for our new members. The same questions keep getting asked so why not start and FAQ?

Great idea @cekivi! Not just useful for new members either, learned something myself as well :D 

In case you missed @Mel Guille's post, the old emoji's are now back on the forums! :D

See the following for how to use them: :toque:

Hello!

Is there any way of changing the forum colors? It looks nice, but reading white on black for a long time hurts my eyes... :/
Many forums have the option of choosing your own color theme, but if there is one here, I haven't noticed it.