Cooking, run, stealing and other suggestions

Mewee

Good day, everyone!

First of all i want to thank Hinterland team for fantastic game, love it)

Here some thoughts (sorry for my english):

• big pieces of meat or fish should take more time to cook than small pieces, also cooked meat should weight less than a raw meat  (fish too)
  • running should warm you up
  • wild animals can eat meat you storing outside (i saw a bear passing by a pile of meat and paying zero attention to it :))
  • pen, pencil etc. so that hero could draw a map
  • probably ability to brake extremities when hero falls from high places (hero could craft splints and crutches for recovery, if hero make it to safe place:))
  • maybe ability to take a bath or shower (my character living without bath for a 70 days, i guess it should be some consenquences for that :))

Thank you and best of luck!

Edited by Mewee
  • Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Some excellent ideas here.

Repairing of broken limbs should definitely be something that your entire game becomes focused around if you are unfortunate enough to get one. 6-8 weeks is a bloody long time [in game] to carry an ailment as such. And if these injuries were to be put in, it should really be no less, otherwise why bother putting it in.

I'm just not sure how they would work the gameplay around such an injury without making it seem like you just got a splinter in your finger. In the trying conditions such as the ones that we are presented in the long dark, I see a broken limb as a very slow death sentence.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you probably right, Nyarlathotepm.

It's just my character falling a lot and height of falls doesn't matter. Two pills for sprained ankle and he good as new! Yeah, there are bruises and wrecked clothing, but still.  And here is another thing - how come that hero with an injured wrist can't use a rifle or a bow, but it's ok to use hatch or knife. No matter right wrist or left, even both.

Also i wondering with what exactly hero melting snow and boiling water? 

Edited by Mewee

On 1/14/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mewee said:

I guess hero could cut a  piece of meat to small pieces and use it as decoy.

you can do that now by pressing cancel on the action. I always do this. cook a piece of meat and then start to eat it and hit cancel do that a few times until you have a ~ 10 calorie piece of meat.. i always keep a few on hand to drop as bait. and even when they are ruined they still work as bait 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dbldrew said:

you can do that now by pressing cancel on the action. I always do this. cook a piece of meat and then start to eat it and hit cancel do that a few times until you have a ~ 10 calorie piece of meat.. i always keep a few on hand to drop as bait. and even when they are ruined they still work as bait 

good lifehack, thanks)

On 12/25/2016 at 1:49 PM, Mewee said:

maybe ability to take a bath or shower (my character living without bath for a 70 days, i guess it should be some consenquences for that :))

Just on this point, the only way I can imagine this working is if you warm up enough water on a stove and fill up a bathtub. Otherwise I think water would be too cold to bathe in, and you would be risking hypothermia.

What sort of consequences were you thinking about for not washing for a long time?

5 hours ago, Bjern said:

Just on this point, the only way I can imagine this working is if you warm up enough water on a stove and fill up a bathtub.

10 litres of warm water would be enough) 

5 hours ago, Bjern said:

What sort of consequences were you thinking about for not washing for a long time?

Well, when i wrote about consequences i thought about some sort of skin diseases. But now, when you asked, I'm thinking about Eskimo... so i guess only danger from dirty body could be risk of infected wounds (like when a wolf bites you).  

Edited by Mewee

19 hours ago, Mewee said:

10 litres of warm water would be enough) 

Well, when i wrote about consequences i thought about some sort of skin diseases. But now, when you asked, I'm thinking about Eskimo... so i guess only danger from dirty body could be risk of infected wounds (like when a wolf bites you).  

If a wolf bites you, you are at risk of infection regardless of whether or not you washed yourself. The wolf's mouth carries bacteria which would be in the wound...The only way around this is using some antibacterial solution, which would kill the bacteria from the wolf and from your body.

• 3 years later...

The shower thing gave me an idea: maybe there could be something like a hygiene, just like there is for hunger and tiredness, and it would run out very slowly. A reason for you to look after your hygiene is that wolves and other predators would be able to track you down a whole lot faster because you stink.