Item Balance

EViLGUARD

Hi there,

So i tried the game and god oh god must i say i love the design and the atmosphere of it. But there some frustrating part that i would love to talk about.

There two related one that are basically about Wood and Wood collection. I'm wandering in a big forest... A forest that even was used for wood cutting activity. But yet i never find wood and/or can't harvest more then 2-3 piece per 2-3 hours. And even with an Hatchet(who keep breaking even when it should not) it still REALLY hard to get my hand on wood. I'm surrounded by tree, wooden cabin and cutted tree and yet most of the time i have more bullet for the gun then i have wood for the fire. Now, i understand 100% that the goal is to make the experience harder but maybe we could just balance it better?

If i was in such a situation where i'm in the middle of the wood but still having some wooden lodge, i would most then likely run back and forth taking wood in the forest. But yet i would still have to carry it around, wich would tire me and such. And this it the kind of Balance i feel would work the best. Make the wood easier to find but way more hard to carry. So i could NOT go around with 2-3 log on me. But i could still have plenty that i could Stack. Fire is good, but in the same time fire is useless in much survival. So the no reason to make it so hard to make. Sure i can make a wood stack out of a Trapper hutt but for what matter if i still have to run around for fun, medics and such? So i would need less long firecamp made out of less durable wood. Or obviously a bigger fire(since logs are around) but yet less effective because of the open area.

Item Duration is also a bit out of track. How a piece of clothing does wear of in about 72 hours? I guess it was made so it make it more hard. Or even more realistic since carrying wooden logs would not help the clothing. But again maybe it would be better to make it have Hole and ripped part that we would need to repair then make it worn of after a couple of hours. And it's the same for most Item. The gun could start missFire after a while, the Hatchet could give less and less wood. But still being usefull item. Less breaking would be nice. The tool should just get less and less efficient. Once my gun broke before i can shot all my 15 bullet... Kind of annoying.

Animal Behavior Now, if Item get better and if Wood is easier to collect. What is the point? How is it hard still? Welp. It should probably turn around animal. If you are in a spot for a while it's certain that your food pool will go down. When you heated that last can of Pork and Bean what you gonna do? Start Hunting DUH! But Animal are quite smart and, in fact, better equiped then human to survive. They can smell you from a long distance so coming close of them is fairly hard. Oh and by the way, even a wolf wont attack you for no purpose. If they have to it's because they need to Eat or because you attacked them first. Any other time a wolf will avoid you at all cost because they don't want to bother wasting precious energy on attacking us. So maybe the Animal in the game should act the same. But if you shoot a Dear, then a wolf might come and try to take the prey from you. Hey, they need food too...

As for the Dear. I guess the best way would be to make them harder to kill. One Headshot should do the job but if you shoot it on the body he will not die. He would probably run fast and you would need to track him down (like... add animal footprint on the ground would be a nice idea) and fellow the blood splat. This should be the hard part of the game. Getting that food. And bringing it home. That should be the hardest thing. Not getting wood.

Finally. If i have a knive, a hatchet or anything that look like a weapon. I would use it what so ever outside just in case a would attack me.

That mostly all. The game is amazing already. Just some really painfull moment when trying to find wood for exemple. But else it's amazing.

As for the Dear. I guess the best way would be to make them harder to kill. One Headshot should do the job but if you shoot it on the body he will not die. He would probably run fast and you would need to track him down (like... add animal footprint on the ground would be a nice idea) and fellow the blood splat. This should be the hard part of the game. Getting that food. And bringing it home. That should be the hardest thing. Not getting wood.

+1 this!

I love the idea of there being a chance for the dear bolting if you score a body hit. Then having to try and follow the blood trail and hoof prints before the wolves find the body and strip it. Carrying raw meat would be heavy too and probably slow your return down. Poor weather could make it difficult and perhaps having more animals about at dawn and dusk, but wolves being more active and braver at night too?

Archived