Vortex

Boots = Slower than barefoot.

So I noticed an 11% reduction in sprinting when you equip boots.

This may be true in relation to say, sneakers in a normal climate area - but to say you run faster and longer barefoot? In the snow? (Or anywhere for that matter?)

Really? :)

I was at the Alps a couple years ago during Winter and was given a special pair of studded boots to trudge along the snow. There was simply no way I would have navigated that sort of terrain faster or longer with bare feet, or even sneakers for that matter. These things are heavy duty waterproof for starters.

If anything, running barefoot should give the slowest stat, then as you equip shoe types the stat should go closer to 100%. Personally, I think heavy hiking boots are exactly what you need for longevity.

Effecitively you're encouraging to run barefoot. Impractial, don't you think?

Edited by Vortex
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Vortex said:

Effecitively you're encouraging to run barefoot. Impractial, don't you think?

Had any frostbite yet?

14 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Had any frostbite yet?

You missed the point. It isn't so much about what penalties the game mechanics will apply.

Try running barefoot in the snow and then try it with boots. Which one is faster? Which one has longevity? (Again, I am not referring about doing this in the game.)

• Upvote 1

Since it is about 40C in my room I'll have to slip into a dreamlike reverie and imagine the snow...and please, anything but another debate about realism. Look at your monitor and decide whether it looks more like real life or a cartoon. Should someone attempt to transform the latter into the former?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Since it is about 40C in my room I'll have to slip into a dreamlike reverie and imagine the snow...and please, anything but another debate about realism. Look at your monitor and decide whether it looks more like real life or a cartoon. Should someone attempt to transform the latter into the former?

Nice try, but frostbite is a realism debate as well.

The sprint penalty is supposed to be an abstract way to account for the weight and bulk of new clothing. From my own experiences my hiking boots are much easier to move around in than my heavy rubberized winter boots but are still heavier than my running shoes. While not perfect it does convey what it's supposed to.

I do agree though that running shows should have zero encumbrance and all other foot penalties would be based off shoes. Because you're right - you're not going to be running for long barefoot on ice! :D

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something that may be related: if the feels like temperature is >0° and you walk barefoot in the snow... no frostbite risk! So even if the game penalizes running around without shoes with the frostbite risk, when clothing gets good enough and feels like temps get warmer the character can prance for hours barefoot on snow and ice without any consequences.

I agree that this behaviour requires a huge suspension of disbelief, and that applying some kind of penalty for walking around barefoot could be a good idea.

• Upvote 2