First experience with new map

CarolinaSantAngelo

Great map. Didn't last more than a day lol. 

1- Appeared somewhere between trees, walked around collecting sticks. 4 hours left of light.  Found the way to mystery lake right away  (If i truly wanted to survive I would have gone that way but I wanted to see the map). 

2- Made a fire because I was freezing. Slept one hour I was really tired already. 

3- I started to walk and gather sticks again but there aren't many, followed the rail because it usually leads to somewhere. The view was beautiful.

4- Night is falling. Found a train collapse, some things in there, light a fire, there is some COAL THERE AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HAPPY  I AM, there was a serious lack of sticks. I'm freezing. A bear is near. Spent some time near the fire. Bear is around. I'm nearly all night trying not to freeze, get out to get more sticks, and the bear is still around so i'm paranoid trying to avoid him. 

5- Four hours of darkness left, one hour of fire, no more coal or sticks. Bear near. I sleep one hour and follow my way through the train rails. 

6- I get attacked by two wolves. 

7- I die

7-Nice game lol

20161219232958_1.jpg

20161219233845_1.jpg

20161219234157_1.jpg

I lasted a few days. Found the far end of the map. Wolves in one direction so I went the other. Hugged the side of the map. Found a few caves. Some coal yay. Cold frigging cold. Then I found a homestead! A bit run down but WELL worth a visit without spoiling things.

Fought off a wolf. Kept hugging the edge of the map. Hiding in caves then I found the trail to mystery lake. Went to the cabin so I can get some gear I had next to nothing and my clothes destroyed. I'm going to warm up and get some clothes fell thru the ice twice and had to blow a lot of time and energy warming up

May contain spoilers.

Found a few caves, one has two entrance. I saw a signal tower far away and hopefully went there for a shelter but there was not. Fought off a wolf near tower. Entered cave and left from the other entrance. Kept walking and found the forge in a poor shelter. Weak ice may annoy sometimes, you have to circle around it. Weather is not worse than PV or TM, as fine as ML but more foggy. Kept walked through same direction and found derailed lumber waggons. Fought off a wolf again and I'm still alive. 

Finding shelter may be a problem but this is a kind of enjoyable challange and pumps a little more adrenaline :) 

My first impression: An Interloper map for Interloper players :)

I didn't like TWM but this one is just great. It's vast landscape, lonelyness, (almost)no loot, no convenience, the weather is awful, the marsh theme, long open distances, just how it should be.

I started a Pilgrim to explore the map first before trying a real run.

I didn't see a single deer in the entire region (maybe i missed some).The region seems to be put together quickly and in some way not finished. As if this originally just was a transition zone like ravine but than was made bigger in a hurry to give us a "christmas gift" - nothing wrong with that :) What i mean is, that the region maybe could use some tweaks here and there, but we have to play it for a while first.

My concern is that most players will not stay there, ust use the forge and than back to ML.

If i would know that there is a guaranteed bedroll, lens and hammer spawn in that region, i wouldn't go to another map at all and stay there right from the start.

Update

I now finished exploring. There are at least 3 locations with deer. It felt as if there are more saplings than in any other place. The bed is close enough to the furnace to be warm.

I've found a premade shelter close to the hunting blind, very nice. Turns out, that i was wrong and most of the places are well thought through regarding design and what to find. The only thing i really miss is a place to fish. A fishing hut far away from everything wouldn't hurt i guess. For example if you turn right after entering from ML, than you find a small pond. Or maybe if you turn left towards the wolves and the rabbiit spawn.

So yes, great region, perfect for a challenging Interloper run.

10 hours ago, MueckE said:

My first impression: An Interloper map for Interloper players :)

I didn't like TWM but this one is just great. It's vast landscape, lonelyness, (almost)no loot, no convenience, the weather is awful, the marsh theme, long open distances, just how it should be.

So far, with about 5 hours or so exploring done, I would say I like TWM much more. I've spent a good amount of time really getting to know TWM, and I came to super appreciate the clever switch-back tiered design of the locations, and the way you could gradually "unlock" higher levels by way of setting up ropes. The cave systems, cliffs, lake, peak, they all fit together to create a wonderful whole thats so rich. It's a masterwork of design. 

This map, however, I don't know. Admittedly I still don't know the whole thing, but we have a big wide open space, with a train track going through the middle, and a few locations dotted around the periphery. Compared to say the coastal highway, I find it really too sparse. That's not to say the map needs buildings, but I think it does need a bit more of something! I'll see how I go with more exploring later...

12 hours ago, MueckE said:

I started a Pilgrim to explore the map first before trying a real run.

I did the same yesterday, started a game in Pilgrim to explore the map and I must say I really like it, it's like an antidode to TWM. As for the "usability" of the new map I am not sure yet, the forge is not protected from wildlife and in the vicinity of it I counted 3 wolves. Coal is also scattered around more scarcly than in DP and other than the forge there are only a few places worth exploring in a "serious" game.

But it is very easy reachable from ML and if you have your camp in ML the new map can be your hunting grounds for weeks. I've spotted many deer near wolves and the the open layout of the map makes it easy to spot for danger and game.

And of course as a challenge it's a great map, when I was travelling through the map I had the thought that this'd be the perfect place to "role play" the TV Show Alone ;) So even if it's use is inferior to other maps, I really like it.

I've always liked PV the most. TWM is in some way like CH. You have narrow paths and you just have to follow them to find something - encounter wolves. On top of that, the amount of loot always has been too much. So its easy to navigate, hard to avoid wolves and way to much loot.

In PV i feel free and have to travel longer distances to go somewhere. The new region feels like a smaller version of PV with an amount of loot you can find, i always wanted and now finally feels right and balanced. @Chill there are lots of good spots and places to find loot, but it's easy to miss (don't want to spoil you). It's not like in the other regions: "Oh, there is a building - there is loot, Oh, there is a car ......". (in comparison). TWM has it's charm and i wouldn't want to miss it. But i personally prefer PV and the new region (together with ML).

The only thing i would like to see is a way to fish somewhere. Would be cool to see just a fishing hole somewhere without a shack and ofc you can only catch small fish :)

17 hours ago, MueckE said:

If i would know that there is a guaranteed bedroll, lens and hammer spawn in that region, i wouldn't go to another map at all and stay there right from the start.

Found hammer & bedroll on my Stalker Sandbox. Oh, and there´s a little surprise behind the boxes near the bed in the wrecked farm. Tear them apart ;P

7 hours ago, MueckE said:

@Chill there are lots of good spots and places to find loot, but it's easy to miss (don't want to spoil you).

I strongly believe that I've found most if not all of them as I spend several hours going full circle and across the ice multiple times. But even in Pilgrim I was not too impressed by the loot. Of course you can still find needful things there but for me it's primary usage is hunting and living outside from the land.

@MueckE shelter near the blind? the low or the high blind? by shelter do you mean a structure or the poacher hide out?

I found an extra "cave" near the exit of the cave with 2 entrances. dropped a rope down that I found to the spot below. the "cave" made a decent base for a bit. Not much danger (no crafting little human loot, but a sapling or 2 and plenty of bunnies. Bonus was I found a snare to get me started....If I had brought a few from ML I could have used that as an exploration base. There were also a few deer and plenty of wood. some INCREDIBLE views from there too. Very nice artwork again.

@MueckE nevermind! I found what you were talking about... VERY nice find!

Heh first experience with the new map I lasted 4 hours as I fell through the ice a couple times in a row and got hypothermia LOL . The second go around I'm struggling as again I fell through the ice but found the homestead with the forge but used up most of the coal there recovering from that. But once you get real cold it sets you back and finding warmth on the map is not as easy as even Timberwolf Mountain as there is no real warm caves (so far). 

Archived