Matches, a finite source? - More ways to start fire...

djanico

Considering the game is based on how long can you survive.. we are pretty much limited in how many fires we can start.. Matches are a limited source, same with magnifying glass/firestriker. Considering making fire is about as prehistoric as it comes, I'm surprised there isn't other renewable firestarting skill:

1> Hands - wood friction technique. Very slow, high chance of failure until your fire starting skill improves then it will lower the chance of failure, but still take a while to start.

New Craft item - Fireboard. Items needed: Cedar,  knife,

New Craft item - Spindle. Items needed: Fir wood, knife

To start fire, need Fireboard, Spindle, Tinder, wood.

2> Flint rocks, Found along any frozen river, or lake. Random spawns.

Need 2 of them to make it work. can Replace matches/striker when starting a fire

• 1 month later...

What about a lighter? Tons of people smoke. There would be Bic and Zippo lighters all over the place, especially in the gas station in CH and the little shop in PV, and probably at the lake office in ML. Their would be lighters in people's homes as well, like the "clicker" thing you'd use to light a candle (speaking of candles, there should be some!), in addition to the other types of lighters. Obviously they'd be finite like the matches. Plus you'd be able to use a lighter for a small light source like a lit match, only it would last longer.

@Frozen guy I'd like to see the frapps on that not losing condition.  I know falls will damage it and animal attacks.

But what would be better is a

Fire piston

Suggested materials:

3 scrap + 2 fir wood + level 3 fire starting. 14 hr craft time, depletes by 3% per use and -80 calories, base %@  20  with no wind and above -10c decrease at 2% interval chance per 2 degrees below (requires more effort to push) -10 calories per 2 degrees c.  Repair: fir wood + simple tools + 1 scrap base repair at 8%.

To start fire

Requires 1 cloth (turned into 10 char cloth at a fire) or burnt out brand ( broken down cost 10 min by hand 5 by axe) or tinder plug broken down (5 min)

Archived