Bears, Moose, Squirrels, Wolverines... Animal wishlist

maowcat

Moose, Grizzlies, Black Bears, Woodland Bison, Foxes, Bobcats, Cougars, Wolverines. I've seen all of these animals in northern BC to varying degrees throughout different parts of winter in all different regions (i assume this game is based in Northern BC/Alberta/Yukon region), Bears do come out from hibernation as all animals can, it's just uncommon. Moose are everywhere, woodland bison aren't a rare sight especially around the northern BC/yukon border, Foxes are everywhere also (and are quite playful and friendly, semi-domestication for foxes would be neat), haven't seen a cougar up there but wolverines aren't uncommon either, they travel in a straight line most of the time (and don't sleep much) so the coding would be pretty simple lol. Going up against a full grown Moose would be ten times as scary as a wolf, I've seen moose that are 8-9 feet tall, probably 15+ on their hind legs and those beasts can stomp. I know you guys are probably adding more wildlife later on but the game feels bare at the moment in terms of ecological diversity, easily one of the best Alpha's i've ever tried though, i don't doubt this game will be awesome once it's finished.

I'm willing to turn my first post into a list if everyone wants to post their suggestions and i can keep on adding them to a list, there aren't a whole lot of large mammals/rodents to add but there are plenty of small animals/birds to add. Could include other forms of nature, different flora etc.

Good for Eating,

Deer (white tail, mule, and blacktail).

Elk

Caribou

Moose

Can be eaten, but more likely eaten by,

Coyotes

Wolves (with many different fur colourations)

Black bear

Grizzly bear

Cougars (no, not drunk 40+ housewives out on the town)

OK for eating,

Grouse

Ptarmigan

Ducks

Geese

Songbirds

For eating if you have to,

Squirrels

Rabbits / Hares

Ferrets

Marmots

For invading you cabin and annoying you,

Rats

Mice

Insects

Some of the larger animals, like Caribou, Elk, Moos, and the Predators, should be transient, crossing the map and disappearing, as they roam the lands in search of food. You wouldn't always expect to see a Moose, or a Grizz, but if you do it would be interesting.

Quick question? What sort of signs do you look for to know a particular species is nearby? I know wolves howl in the game as a sort of warning of "Hey, there is a wolf around here" and I hear the scavenging birds "cawing" overhead but what about deer?

If there was a way for a player to identify what animals might be in the area, such as spawning tracks or tree markings (territorial markings) when such an animal spawns, that would be cool. It would also add to the "no hand-holding" approach of this design team.

Quick question? What sort of signs do you look for to know a particular species is nearby? I know wolves howl in the game as a sort of warning of "Hey, there is a wolf around here" and I hear the scavenging birds "cawing" overhead but what about deer?

If there was a way for a player to identify what animals might be in the area, such as spawning tracks or tree markings (territorial markings) when such an animal spawns, that would be cool. It would also add to the "no hand-holding" approach of this design team.

Tracks, droppings, and urine-stained snow for rabbit. Other mammals also leave distinctive droppings; deer droppings look like piles of chocolate-covered raisins; moose droppings look much the same except the droppings are marshmallow-sized.

This makes them sound considerably more appetizing than they are in person.

Bear hunting typically involves chaining a big plastic barrel full of bait to a tree, lurking malevolently in another tree, and hoping the bear picks the right tree:

[bBvideo 560,340:13jgfnyx]

[/bBvideo]

For grouse, you'll be alert and (relatively) silently moving through the (godawfully thick and tangled) bush that grouse like to frequent when one will suddenly flush about five feet behind you (this is not a quiet event; rapid loud wing beats at Harley-Davidson RPM) and go slaloming off through a half dozen trees like a little feathered jump jet on crystal meth so that by the time you've spun around and got your bead on him he is six trees off accelerating through 70 mph and headed for the nearest no-hunting provincial park.

Geese and ducks hang out in sheltered lakes and ponds. To catch them, deploy an array of goose or duck adult novelties these are usually injection molded, not inflatable) and lurk under cover nearby, impersonating a lonely duck or goose. When they show up, shoot them. This has made me deeply distrustful of dating sites.

• 1 year later...

For grouse, you'll be alert and (relatively) silently moving through the (godawfully thick and tangled) bush that grouse like to frequent when one will suddenly flush about five feet behind you (this is not a quiet event; rapid loud wing beats at Harley-Davidson RPM) and go slaloming off through a half dozen trees like a little feathered jump jet on crystal meth so that by the time you've spun around and got your bead on him he is six trees off accelerating through 70 mph and headed for the nearest no-hunting provincial park.

Geese and ducks hang out in sheltered lakes and ponds. To catch them, deploy an array of goose or duck adult novelties these are usually injection molded, not inflatable) and lurk under cover nearby, impersonating a lonely duck or goose. When they show up, shoot them. This has made me deeply distrustful of dating sites.

I really like the idea of grouse flying up and giving you a good jump scare!! Definitely I heartily add +1 for any and all animal and plant additions! Even if grouse were not interact-able, the sound would be awesome!

[bBvideo 560,340:11zp2r4q]

[/bBvideo] Sorry if the sound in the example is not very loud.

Check out the reaction of this black bear!! [bBvideo 560,340:11zp2r4q]

[/bBvideo]

Wouldn't it be awesome if the graphics were rich enough that you could walk right up to a grouse in hiding and just barely be able to make out the bird, nearly perfectly camouflaged! Well, maybe next year!

Adding more animal richness to the game really adds to the entire experience and ambiance! The game already owes a great debt to the animal animations; they are beautiful, majestic and/or menacing!!

[bBvideo 560,340:11zp2r4q]

[/bBvideo]

Archived