The Long Dark Event — 4 Days of Night!

Admin

I really enjoyed this event, got me back into the game after a bit of a hiatus. Found three pies in Pleasant Valley and Timberwolf Mountain, one trick-or-treat bowl, but no Jack O' Lanterns sadly.

Halloween evening, the most insane blizzard hit, I thought it was a part of the event, probably just random but it made things really really bad outside. Luckily I had the warming magic pies, and good thing too, since visibility was max 10m and fluffy would have easily ambushed me :ninja:

I do wish there had been Northern Lights to go with this event though, it would have made the eternal night even cooler (pun intended) :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be wrapping things up with my Voyageur character tomorrow.

I just brought my Pilgrim character to a very satisfying stopping point...earning my 15 Day Achievement!

Bearing in mind I will eventually be putting up (commentary free) LP's of both characters I hope to have a pretty cool ending for my Voyageur tomorrow!

This has been a blast- If it's possible I'll have them wake up and finally see a sunrise if you will.

Once again amazing work Hinterlands!

As much fun this was, please please don't ever again make it mandatory to participate if there are drawbacks in the "fun" mode. I couldn't continue my 92days interloper run which was a bummer, I am 15h short of finally crafting the Wolf Coat and couldn't continue my run for four days.

It would've been okay if the "fun" mode would've just added goodies like candy, laterns and stuff (as many MMORPGs do for holidays) without the perpetual darkness. This I would've gladly appreciate as a holiday gift and I wouldn't complain about it being mandatory . But locking people out for 4 days of their game one has to ask: what were they thinking? o.O

On the bright side alot of new people registered in the forum, though for the wrong reasons (to complain about this... ).

loved the long night. im guessing that when seasons eventually arrive, that there will be theoretically a month of darkness? depending on how 'north' we are?

but yeah loved it, started a toon on voyager and even managed to find my first prepper cache :). looking forward to future events!

I found this event overall fun and enjoyed the challenge posed by the "eternal night" as it made me do what I normally avoid, which is traveling and doing things out in the dark in TLD. This was awesome, the only thing I wish would get fixed if the devs do this again would be if the day counter would be fixed, because its weird being what I assume to be 10 days in and the journal's counter still says Day 1.

17 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

this was an awesome event, and i really enjoyed it :D however,i didnt get much time with it. and the time i did get with it, i never did find a pumpkin pie or jackolantern. i missed out on the full experience :(

If it's any consolation I only found 1 jack-o-lantern across 2 saves and ~4.5 hours of playing in game. I actually had to start a new game on a lower difficulty before I could find one. My theory is that the jack-o-lanterns were harder to find on the harder experience levels but I could be wrong

Just now, cekivi said:

If it's any consolation I only found 1 jack-o-lantern across 2 saves and ~4.5 hours of playing in game. I actually had to start a new game on a lower difficulty before I could find one. My theory is that the jack-o-lanterns were harder to find on the harder experience levels but I could be wrong

well, its not too big of a loss i suppose. halloween 2017 isnt going anywhere ;)

man, all this talk of pumpkin pie has gotten me hungry, though. currently waiting on two homemade pumpkin pies to cool off on the stove right now :D

When I first realized that the event was "mandatory", like many others, I was upset. I played the game a lot a long time ago, took a long hiatus, and then came back recently. My current sandbox is #50, and it's by far my most successful. So when I found out that it may be jeopardized by a brand new game mechanic, I wasn't happy. I really didn't want to start any new games, because I was so into my current one. So I went ahead and risked it all, and started up the game.

My fears soon turned to anger when I ran into the "perma Cabin Fever" bug. That's actually what made me come here and register on the forums. I had searched everything online for an answer to why my CF wasn't going away, no matter what I did....but there was nothing available. Until I found a post on here in the bugs section. I was happy to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing it, and even happier with how quickly the bug was fixed. Seriously, much respect to you guys for reading your forums and reacting so quickly to bug reports. The bug was completely game breaking, but thankfully it didn't last too long.

Overall I think these 4 days definitely made me a better player. I used to simply not go outside in the dark, because what am I, crazy? Being forced to do it, I had to adapt to the insane cold and very low visibility. Now I feel like going out during the day will be a cakewalk compared to what I was doing this weekend. Dealing with perpetual Cabin Fever for many days straight, while being in a new area that I had never explored before, with permanent darkness and temps that went as low as -46C....it was definitely more challenging than sleeping in a cozy cabin on a nice sunny day. :)

Anyway, other than the bug, it was a cool experience, although I'm very glad that it's over. Being in a new area, I wanted to explore it and see the sights, which is basically impossible during the night when you can't see anything. But I'm definitely glad that I risked my epic playthrough and played this weekend, rather than putting the game on hold for 4 days like many others did.

9 minutes ago, Supermax said:

When I first realized that the event was "mandatory", like many others, I was upset. I played the game a lot a long time ago, took a long hiatus, and then came back recently. My current sandbox is #50, and it's by far my most successful. So when I found out that it may be jeopardized by a brand new game mechanic, I wasn't happy. I really didn't want to start any new games, because I was so into my current one. So I went ahead and risked it all, and started up the game.

My fears soon turned to anger when I ran into the "perma Cabin Fever" bug. That's actually what made me come here and register on the forums. I had searched everything online for an answer to why my CF wasn't going away, no matter what I did....but there was nothing available. Until I found a post on here in the bugs section. I was happy to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing it, and even happier with how quickly the bug was fixed. Seriously, much respect to you guys for reading your forums and reacting so quickly to bug reports. The bug was completely game breaking, but thankfully it didn't last too long.

Overall I think these 4 days definitely made me a better player. I used to simply not go outside in the dark, because what am I, crazy? Being forced to do it, I had to adapt to the insane cold and very low visibility. Now I feel like going out during the day will be a cakewalk compared to what I was doing this weekend. Dealing with perpetual Cabin Fever for many days straight, while being in a new area that I had never explored before, with permanent darkness and temps that went as low as -46C....it was definitely more challenging than sleeping in a cozy cabin on a nice sunny day. :)

Anyway, other than the bug, it was a cool experience, although I'm very glad that it's over. Being in a new area, I wanted to explore it and see the sights, which is basically impossible during the night when you can't see anything. But I'm definitely glad that I risked my epic playthrough and played this weekend, rather than putting the game on hold for 4 days like many others did.

And we're grateful you joined us here on the forums to share your story. Just as you learned a bit about the game, and your ability to persevere, we learned a lot as well. Should we do similar events in the future, we'll be taking on all the feedback from the community on how it went for them over the last four days. Thanks again for your very thoughtful critique. :coffee:

Yeah, they looked so tasty!!  Pumpkin pie isn't really a "thing" where I am, but I'm totally gonna learn how to make one, or just use apple and still put a wolf paw on top:excited:

I'm about to load up again...for those with surviving games, do the super-candies and pies persist for you?  My 17-day Stalker was going so well, until I explored and kept going on low stats for too long.  Didn't quite recover, and faded away....

My experience on spawns:  I played a bit of this on Voyageur but mostly on Stalker, and found 2 pies (both in S, I think) and came across 2 lanterns.  Got eaten before I got close to the first, but got to the second and founds some skill books.  It was cool, indirectly useful as due mostly to the cold spent a lot of time indoors.  I'm actually glad my lantern-loot wasn't a gun or axe, since most my game was looking for either, it'd have been needed - but cheap ;)

Am I right in assuming the lanterns were set to be "guarded" somewhat?  Died on the way to the first, and the second involved an intense flare-battle with 2 (or 3) dread wolves.  It was wicked!

Like many others I had a blast with this.  It literally was The Long Dark and I hope a challenge mode of this comes in, and that it's perhaps and sneak peak of what some of winter time will be like when ("when": I'm hopeful ;)) seasons make it in.

• Before I'd have not done much at night.  Character gets into the tiredness pattern and otherwise visibility and temp is lower.  Why, when there's daylight?
    • I'll probably have a change of in-game habits more now.  The Dark isn't so scary once you've seen it with red eyes and frozen maw.:devil:
  • Before I'd not had a "real" go on Stalker.  For this I wanted to.  In some way because if my game survived and super-items persisted, bonus going forward.  But mostly because this event needed harder!  Interloper seemed too ridiculous for me ;)
    • Now I think I'll start up a sandbox on Stalker.  It's more interesting when there's not as much loot everywhere and wolves can be taken on with fisticuffs not too difficultly.  But I don't think it's a balance/difficulty thing to be looked at for Voyageur, it is that good middle-ground.
  • Before I'd basically not used flares.  Partly because of the above, why use a flare when you can just kill 'em with your hatchet or gun.
    • But I didn't have either for a while, and in this challenge, flares were pretty important.

F4uY4AL.pngV9fIe90.png4vov9ie.png

Yeah, an eternal night mid-winter season (or maybe rather 4h of day versus 20h of darkness) would certainly be awesome once the full year cycle is finished. I would totally love that, especially if it comes with longer fire burning durations. Those were extremely useful during the current event indeed!:normal: 

I enjoyed the halloween event a lot overall, both because it was a refreshingly new experience and because I found the implementation of the halloween-related items quite lovely. Searching those Jack-O-Lanterns and pies was great fun... I only wish the event would have lasted longer to give me a chance to find all of them.^^

Maybe a one-week optional event that people can choose not to participate in might be a good idea for future events. I for one very much hope we're going to see more of them soon! :love:

Yeah, I could have also used a couple more days of this event. I managed to explore part of ML, PV and TWM. Found 1 lantern on ML, 1 on PV and two on TWM. Was moving to CH when real life dragged me out of the game for most of the last two days... :(

I really enjoyed the feeling. The game feels so much different at night... the sound in this game is truly spectacular. Also, on clear nights the sights are beautiful, and this was a great opportunity to enjoy them. 

I got Cabin Fever for the first time in 369 days right after the event finished. I guess I had accumulated a lot of time indoors and it kicked in as soon as I took a nap. 

Now more than before I'm so much looking forward for the complete year cycle... it would be so brutally awesome to have several months of reduced daylight time! This game has so much potential, and you guys at HL are doing a fantastic job. Thanks, and keep it up!

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Yeah, an eternal night mid-winter season (or maybe rather 4h of day versus 20h of darkness) would certainly be awesome once the full year cycle is finished. I would totally love that, especially if it comes with longer fire burning durations. Those were extremely useful during the current event indeed!:normal: 

i actually looked this up. and, while some areas of northern canada and alaska experience a month of darkness, thats because theyre inside of a special polar zone.

however, great bear island (which we can only assume is supposed to be the great bear rainforest, off the coast of british columbia. look it up) is, sadly, not within this dark zone. thats a shame, though. i'd love an in-game month of darkness :D

30 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

i actually looked this up. and, while some areas of northern canada and alaska experience a month of darkness, thats because theyre inside of a special polar zone.

however, great bear island (which we can only assume is supposed to be the great bear rainforest, off the coast of british columbia. look it up) is, sadly, not within this dark zone. thats a shame, though. i'd love an in-game month of darkness :D

I'd be willing to sacrifice some realism in this case ;) 

Archived