Trees that create resin have little treasures hiding inside their stumps...

Fatwood: an amazing firestarter that wind cant even put out completely. 

Stumps from Fir that were cut a year ago or more, have high amounts of resin in them. This is due to the roots pushing resin up to the stump and it getting caught there.

A heavy axe can be used to split the stumps and collect planks of fatwood (a hatchet and a branch can work to shave off better planks once the axe breaks the outer part off.) , these planks are then split into sticks using a knife. The resin will get all over the knife however. 

These sticks can be shaven off and start multiple fires if used right. They burn very well and a whole stick can be used to make a fire very easy to light. 

Heres some info on it.

http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/finding-harvesting-and-using-fatwood/

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Gaboris said:

Basically a rare to find and hard to harvest(probably tool damaging) "super tinder"? +1 from me. :D

Its not entirely rare when you think of the logging camp in Mystery Lake, however, those stumps are probably too young to produce the best quality stuff, but its definitely still there.

The best sources would be older stumps, maybe the ones with the shelf fungus on them?? 

And yes, itd be pretty late game/difficult to acquire, you'd need just about every tool, including the axe in a future update, except the prybar and itd be tool damaging, but very rewarding!

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

And yes, itd be pretty late game/difficult to acquire, you'd need just about every tool, including the axe in a future update, except the prybar and itd be tool damaging, but very rewarding!

This is nice for balancing, but in the late-game with the current skill-progression, would players even bother to dig up such an item if it's so labor-intensive when the firestarting skill most likely allows them to go tinderless already? I don't think your idea is bad, quite the contrary, but with the current skill rewards people just won't bother.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

This is nice for balancing, but in the late-game with the current skill-progression, would players even bother to dig up such an item if it's so labor-intensive when the firestarting skill most likely allows them to go tinderless already? I don't think your idea is bad, quite the contrary, but with the current skill rewards people just won't bother.

Dang it! Totally forgot about the skill rewards. Well that a pretty big wrench in the gears I dues. :/

Hmmm... So anyone has ideas on how to balance it? :D