Winter is coming

Jbronco

So i have read alot of people talking about whit ifs when the spring/summer comes in the long dark. 

Is there even going to be any other seasons? I personnaly feel like the game is pointing towards permanent winter... This can be explained by what ever disaster has plaguaged the earth or more realisticly just this portion of canada. All as a result of this mysterious aurora. 

what are everyones thoughts on the possibility of different seasons or the long dark is a winter survival game...

They have stated openly that the intent is for the year to keep cycling.  The Long Dark was originally just a one time catastrophe that humanity survived and played out in the as yet to be seen story mode.  That the sandbox would never have an end was not a big deal originally since the sandbox was just a test environment to build that story and would be deleted once story was released.  But then as production slowed and early access dragged on the sandbox became the game and Hinterland shifted to consider their audience's desire to continue at least the sandbox game past the one hard winter into, perhaps, infinity.  

But in all honesty this is probably more than a few actual years in the future if it indeed even does happen.  

My prediction is the Long Dark will become something similar to the Endless series by Amplitude Studios. The game will keep being supported and upgraded for years: sometimes for free, sometimes as DLC and sometimes as new games or experimental content.

I think that winter would have to be made harder, significantly harder, if further seasons were added. That would mean you would only have to survive 3 months in the cold - the rest of the year would be easy by comparison.

Nobody thinks 'oh no - spring is coming. how will I ever survive the increased amount of available food and water?' or 'how will I survive a searing 35 degree Canadian summer day?'. Even if the summer became insanely hot - thats still only 45 degrees and standing in the shade cures that (I live in Australia so my perception of 'hot' might be skewed).  In the grand scheme of things - winter is the period of time that you spend the rest of the year preparing for, but currently we are surviving a perpetual winter with no preparation. Granted the other seasons can bring their own trials, but nothing that compare with winter.

In the future if further seasons were added, I believe you would have to start in the spring and the winter would REQUIRE you to stock food and supplies for the next 9 months because you were going to have to spend the entire winter inside. Which doesn't really seem that fun.

Yeah, I don't think those who are asking for the full calendar are really looking for any real challenge.  I think they want TLD to instead become the survivalist's Minecraft.  They are probably the same sort who want to be able to build their own town of log cabins complete with cider mill and methane powered electrical generation plant while training their own team of wolves to pull a sleigh so they can win a spouse and get married and raise a family.  

*sigh* Another one.

Every time a company starts work on a 'good' survival game, I get excited. Struggling to survive is fun. But then very quickly it changed from a 'struggle simulator' to a 'walking simulator' and I lose all interest.

I want blizzards to kill me in half a hour if I get stuck outside and trap me inside for a week. I want to plan an accent for days and still fail. I want a long hike to require me to set up base camps before hand so that I have enough supplies to last it.

Currently I just walk everywhere, occasionally fight a wolf, and stand inside a lot to warm up.

Archived