The Long Dark Board Game

ChillPlayer

Well one thing you could offer is some testing. This will all be a digital download kit when its ready I think. Something that can be assembled by printing on cardstock, and visiting a local game store to pick out some game pieces and then a six sided die, it will need testing. I am also in the process of revising some of the complexity. I believe the board game should stay a little more true to the experience created by the "real game" which is to say, there should be an element of crafting for the weapons, and there should not be a penalty for crossing ice, but as designed right now you do have to take an injury roll. I am still working this all out in my head but it will need those interested to print the game out, and play a few rounds. 

What I would really like is some players to provide a time study on how long it takes them to complete a turn. If a typical game is to go between 20-40 days and last 90 minutes then each turn has to take no more than 3 min or we are already at the 120 min mark at 40 days survived for a one player game. This means I need to reduce number of times rolling dice or change the reason to roll the dice. 

Any chance we can get this on roll20 or somethin'? Might make it easier to get actual TLD players together for a playtest - I have a few guys who would play it if our schedules match (full disclosure: they probably won't), but none of them have ever played TLD (Yes, I know, I am fraternizing with heretics)

D20 is an interesting idea and the final product might work for that. I was hoping to put this together scrounging stuff most players already have like 8 1/2 x 11 paper and a few monopoly pieces and a six sided die but a D20 or a few D20 would certainly make it pretty interesting. Already contributing already Wastelander.

13 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I actually didn't mean a physical D20, but rather the online platform rolld20.com. Since it eliminates the need for a physical platform, people on the forums could get together and play with each other.

Most of my (board)games I play online are done with Vassal which is free... but I don't know how to program modules for it :side-eye:

Also, if you're looking for randomizers d20's are good (each number is 5%) as are d10's, d100's or 2d6.

Just now, cekivi said:

Most of my (board)games I play online are done with Vassal which is free... but I don't know how to program modules for it :side-eye:

Also, if you're looking for randomizers d20's are good (each number is 5%) as are d10's, d100's or 2d6.

Personally, I prefer d100s because they are so versatile (that and my unhealthy addiction to all things Cthulhu),

Vassal seems like a cool thing to check out - you said you don't know how to program modules for it, is it hard?

7 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Personally, I prefer d100s because they are so versatile (that and my unhealthy addiction to all things Cthulhu),

Vassal seems like a cool thing to check out - you said you don't know how to program modules for it, is it hard?

I've made modifications to a Vassal Module that contained errors and I found it a bit hard to figure out. Then again I was rushing at the time (we really wanted to get on with our game!) :big_smile:

As for player tokens, it's pretty easy to make them with paper and pen. Or you can go even cheaper and just proxy 'em with common household objects - I remember accidently leaving some of my stuff at home when I was playing Flames of War (it's a cool game, check it out if you're into WW2 stuff), so my finnish StuGs were temporarily substituted by Lego minifigs :D 

21 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I actually didn't mean a physical D20, but rather the online platform rolld20.com. Since it eliminates the need for a physical platform, people on the forums could get together and play with each other.

Well that works!

I was thinking about "real dice" like this which would be pretty affordably cheap, but also have a few different sets for everything that has to happen during a turn. Dice to roll for weather, dice to roll for aurora, dice to roll for hunting/fishing/etc 

71-wt%2BIGBXL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5MS7KE?psc=1

Cardstock for printing out the game cards when they are finally done.

https://www.amazon.com/Neenah-Exact-Index-Sheets-40311/dp/B006P1EQIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476567707&sr=8-1&keywords=cardstock

I am also thinking about tokens instead of condition cards. I want to make it flexible from as simple as something you can pull out of a bag of chex mix, or use your change drawer to represent to as complex as something you'd search for online. Rather than a card representing a health point, a cube or dot or something like that. 

I need some graphic's people to chip in some help here.

Looking for some icon type images for "print" to occupy some spaces and act as markers indicating things.

Here is an list of the needs.

1 condition icon (Small) 1/2"x1/2"

1 knife icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 hatchet icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 feathers icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 guts icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 fishing tackle icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 bow icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 arrow icon (Medium) 1"x1"

1 gun icon (Medium) 1"x1"

Archived