How to not break in on thin ice?

Casimir

Hi there

I wanted to ask if somebody actually was able to get to some of the items on the ice-water-shoreline?

I tried different positions (on crumbled Highway map), but every time i try to get there i just break in, wether crouching or not.

I am out of Ideas.

Casi

Welcome to the forums @Casimir! ^_^

While I haven't tried beach combing myself (presently no gaming PC) I do know that it can be done. Several players who post about interloper have discussed their finds while out on the ice. @KD7BCH or @vancopower should know more details.

I know one strategy is to go slow and take your clothes off first so they won't get wet.

Thanks Cekivi for this wonderful intro.

When you get the msg weak ice you can do 2 things:

1. Run like hell in the straight line pick up only one item and immediately turn 180 run back.

Or

2. Just turn back and run like hell.  If you are not in a straight  line with the items I suggest you do this option.

Don't do anything else you will just fall down. If you try to be gready and pick up more items you will fall. If you hesitate for 1 milisecond you will fall. if you try to run sideways guess what you will fall.

I spawned like 100 times in DP I don't know why the game is testing me... So I know what am I talking about. Also I tested this on pilgrim you just have enough time to get 1 thing and get back I think the devs made it that way intentionally. 

Also there is another less exciting way to do it. Just take off your clothes get everything fall couple of times and go home to heal. 

I would never recommend getting wet when in subzero temps. I would also never recommend knowing getting hypothermia in the game. While it isn't a game ender on its own it does carry the 24 hour stamina and re-hypotermic penalty which essentially means you need to stay indoors for a longer time than you would want to in order to "shake it off" this combined with the fact that you also now face a cabin fever situation means you could trigger a loop of conditions where you are forced to go outside, while also needing to shelter inside to rid yourself of the hypothermia which would be bad. Very very bad unless you have two relatively close locations with enough resources for just such an event. In a survival situation I'd say that would be an unlikely possibility. Still some of the items found during beach combing are of value so just be careful. If you do get wet. Get dry and warm ASAP. What I would suggest is that you have a fire already going which is maxed out for length say 8-12 hours, nearby, and then go beach combing. You will take the hypothermia hit but at least you can get indoors quickly and not loose too much condition beyond the initial shock of doing the "polar plunge". Make sure you don't spend too much more time indoors after getting over hypothermia for the next day or two in order to keep your cabin fever metric low. A thing you can't control include the weather, so a storm that lasts two days would be bad news, running out of food/fuel also bad news but that you can control. 

After some more experiments on beachcombing on Coastal Highway:

- Get an alternative clothing set and store it in one of the outer fishing huts.

- Store firewood for at least 12, better 24h in this hut.

- Store a sleeping bag there.

- Store lots of fish, meat and water in the hut (cooked fish and meat will only decay by 1%/day while stored outside of a house. Fishing huts are considered outside)

- Reduce your load. Around 20kgs will do.

- Change your clothes COMPLETELY to the alternative set.

- After that it's basically what vancopower said: It's all about running. Run (hold SHIFT)there. Pick up the item fast. Run back.

- Learn the world-appearance of all items, so that you do not risk a break in for a stick :)

If you broke in:

- change back to your set of dry clothes. You do NOT have to stay inside to loose hypothermia. You just need to be ABOVE 0 degrees C felt temperature.

- you wont get cabin fever (like KD7 said) while resting outside

• 1 month later...
On 30/09/2016 at 10:17 AM, Casimir said:

- Learn the world-appearance of all items, so that you do not risk a break in for a stick :)

If you are not good at knowing item appearance, try to aim with a rifle. This will magnify the view.

Helped me few times.

Archived