Warm up while running

pezillionaire

Love this game so far! I was a backer on kickstarter and I'm happy to have access to the sandbox!

I'm a fellow BC resident (Whistler) and I'm quite active outdoors in the winter. From real life experience I can tell you that when you are doing strenuous activities (running, hiking, etc) with a jacket, touque and snowpants on you get WARM. really warm. hot even. I'd love to see that play into the dynamic of warmth in game.

It'd be neat too if you consider that after said activities (which cause you to sweat) you cool down DRASTICALLY making the hunt for shelter/indoor dry warmth more of a necessity. Clothing also can play into this too. If I'm wearing a wicking layer (polyester, wool, merino) and a breathable shell (goretex) the sweating/cool down is far less drastic and even almost negligible.

Anyway LOVE this game so far! You are doing a fantastic job! Can't wait for my poster!

I agree.

Not sure if all the nitty-gritty mechanics need to be there, but I definitely think your cold meter should go down a bit if you are running outside. After all, you are burning more calories so there is already a drawback and it gives the need to find shelter a whole other dimension. If you see shelter in the distance but you are freezing, do you risk running in order to avoid your condition degrading as fast while getting to shelter faster, knowing you are going to burn precious calories?

I've had this one suggested in my Let's Play video comments a couple times. I also believe I've seen this mentioned in a 'Wish List' post before. It makes a lot of sense from a realism standpoint. Basically, you're willing to sacrifice calories and fatigue reserves to help counteract the cold. I believe this type of decision making is exactly what the devs and the players are looking to have. This one could very well already be on "THE LIST" as Raph has taken to calling it.

Great idea and thoughts!

Its sounds straight forward when you say it, but robdoar is right. Sweating in your clothing will allow the external cold to travel into the internal layers of you clothing effectively turning your cloths into an eski. Frostbite, hyperthermia, dead :).

Don't get me wrong I think its a good idea, but in reality it is very difficult to manage. I don't know how you would convey in a game.

Its sounds straight forward when you say it, but robdoar is right. Sweating in your clothing will allow the external cold to travel into the internal layers of you clothing effectively turning your cloths into an eski. Frostbite, hyperthermia, dead :).

Don't get me wrong I think its a good idea, but in reality it is very difficult to manage. I don't know how you would convey in a game.

When running for a prolonged period of time in exceptional cold, you have a chance of gaining the "Hypothermia" or "Frozen Sweat" or "Chilled to the Bone" condition which would cause your cold meter to quickly go up, causing your condition to go down as you remain outside.

Cure with 4 hours in front of a fire.

Actually, that sounds pretty good. You would need a warning first "Overheating", to prevent sweeting. If you push on your get "Wet Cloths", which could also be used for breaking through ice and getting your legs wet. Cure 4 hours in front of the fire, sounds awesome actually. I LIKE IT!

Archived