Map design


Rate this idea 1/10  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

The ability to create our own maps.

  • wildlife spawn zones
  • random/specific items to place anywhere 
  • world decay on/off
  • wolf difficulty 
  • wolf frequency
  • wolf travel paths
  • Cars 
  • regions that connect to each other
  • warmth zones 
  • wolf/bear dens

Add your own ideas too this list.

This is a bit too early to request. Because 2/3 of the developers are working on story mode. So I will request this again when most of the developers are working on sandbox.

Edited by Rifleman
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Building a whole map from scratch is cool and all, but this game is too static and I can't really imagine how complicated it could be a build an actual map as one person. If a competent enough map editor gets added then maybe a "change the layout of items, buildings and other components of a map" thing could work, but I think that that would actually have no point. Way too much work for way too little.

But who knows, if you guys have a better idea how it could work then let's hear it. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

A fully functional map editor would be great. Hard as hell and extremely time-consuming judging by size of present game maps, but once done, it could be extremely rewarding experience. Especially if devs would integrate them into existing world for better compatibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd certainly play around with it just to make crazy difficult or crazy easy maps (welcome to Pork&Beans island, here's your complementary hunting rifle and venison steak versus welcome to Screw-You-Island, here's your complimentary concussion and diarrhea), but I just prefer the handcrafted feel of the official maps.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2016 at 7:33 PM, Gaboris said:

Building a whole map from scratch is cool and all, but this game is too static and I can't really imagine how complicated it could be a build an actual map as one person. If a competent enough map editor gets added then maybe a "change the layout of items, buildings and other components of a map" thing could work, but I think that that would actually have no point. Way too much work for way too little.

But who knows, if you guys have a better idea how it could work then let's hear it. :)

There are some people who have worked years on maps.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to providing mod support, I'd hope the ability to create new regions or edit existing ones would be a possibility. 

Not really expecting a full blown map editor though. I'd imagine everything is just built in unity already so you would have to know your way around that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2016 at 7:01 AM, Wastelander said:

I'd certainly play around with it just to make crazy difficult or crazy easy maps (welcome to Pork&Beans island, here's your complementary hunting rifle and venison steak versus welcome to Screw-You-Island, here's your complimentary concussion and diarrhea), but I just prefer the handcrafted feel of the official maps.

I would make a map with 3 regions connected

1. A industrial area with plenty of reclaimed wood, scrap metal and a forge

2. A map similar to the ravine, but longer and more dangerous.

3. Timber wolf mountain, but double the size of the mountain and the plane at the top will have a cockpit that is insulated from the cold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have already planned to add some sort of modding.

No offense but your specifical proposition makes no sense whatsoever, this is a game build around a strong level design. It's not primarly about enjoying killing wolves with a rifle. That kinf of map creation is interesting in Towerfall, not The Long Dark.

Sometimes I'm in shock to see how people think about videogames that they play.

Edited by togg
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rifleman said:

I would make a map with 3 regions connected

1. A industrial area with plenty of reclaimed wood, scrap metal and a forge

2. A map similar to the ravine, but longer and more dangerous.

3. Timber wolf mountain, but double the size of the mountain and the plane at the top will have a cockpit that is insulated from the cold.

Okay I'm still not completely against the map editor idea, but these ideas worry me a bit. As I said building a map is hard and making it well balanced and entertaining is even harder, but the main problem is that we don't know what the engine is capable of and building a map "double the size of this" and "has THIS many stuff in it" is nice on paper, but if current maps were designed to JUST reach the limits of the engine these custom maps might turn into FPS or CTD hells. :/

 

1 hour ago, togg said:

Sometimes I'm in shock to see how people think about videogames that they play.

Okay, now you're just a little bit negative.

Everyone can enjoy a game the way THEY want to. "Intended use" or  "Vision" both go out the window the second a game is in the players hands(for example I play games like Dead Rising or GTA seriously and I enjoy it WAY more then their "intended" goofy style) especially if mods or custom contents are supported.

For great examples there's Skyrim and Amnesia. Radically different games, but they both have custom contents that flip the whole table on their games and that's okay since those who don't like it just don't have to play those.

 

It's okay if you don't like the idea no problem there, but "eye of the beholder" and all that. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gaboris said:

For great examples there's Skyrim and Amnesia. Radically different games, but they both have custom contents that flip the whole table on their games and that's okay since those who don't like it just don't have to play those.

True, but there is such a thing as taking things too far, case and point, Skyrim:
5qzJvmX.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They're having fun using the resources of skyrim :) I mean, you can surelly do the same with TLD. You can use the pixels of the rifle to do a pinball game, it's not as big as GTA or Skyrim though, it will be boring soon imho.

The point here, as far as I understood it, was being able to build and play maps as the one that the devs builded. And since that's kind of one of the main pillars of the game I have difficulties to immagine it. Just this!

 

If at the end this kind of modding will arrive and everyone will be able to choose the map that he/she likes ok, no problem, probably someone will manage to do some interesting stuff. But imho they would be even more rare that in mario maker.

Edited by togg
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016. 10. 14. at 2:14 PM, EternityTide said:

True, but there is such a thing as taking things too far, case and point, Skyrim:

Actually these kinds of mods are my whole point. :D

The moment Skyrim left the studio and the players got their hands on it they started changing stuff however they liked(were able to since mod tools were not available yet) and there was nothing wrong with that. Sure these mind boggling mods look pointless to us, but if they were made there ARE at least some who want to use them.

But we're kinda going off topic here so let me clarify with what Tog said:

On 2016. 10. 14. at 1:45 AM, togg said:

If at the end this kind of modding will arrive and everyone will be able to choose the map that he/she likes ok, no problem, probably someone will manage to do some interesting stuff. But imho they would be even more rare that in mario maker.

So the problem is that I don't deny the problems with this idea. At the beginning I said that making these maps would be nearly impossible for a normal player or they would end up being disappointing.

My problem was just the "Sometimes I'm in shock to see how people think about videogames that they play." part. All I meant to say id "Let people mess with their games if they want to and don't judge them.". :)

 

So back to maps: For even a dedicated moder this would need a pretty extensive map editor and I'm not sure if the team has the time or resources to make something this demanding even after the game is finished. But we'll see. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2016 at 10:27 PM, nicko said:

I vote wtf lol, what sort of poll is it when it just says 1/10, 2/10 etc. is that so you can change your poll questions? good luck on this poll :)

 

 

1/10 is if you hate this idea.

10/10 is if you love this idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now