Hopeless rescue challenge: finding route

Evgeny

Hi.

Is challenge mode presumes you already know the map? I played only sandbox mode, and still have troubles with orientation. This is fine, since exploring and finding houses and other stuff is exciting by itself. If I had map it would not be fun. But in hopeless rescue challenge the first task is to go to timberwolf mountain. How am I supposed to know where to go? Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Evgeny said:

Hi.

Is challenge mode presumes you already know the map? I played only sandbox mode, and still have troubles with orientation. This is fine, since exploring and finding houses and other stuff is exciting by itself. If I had map it would not be fun. But in hopeless rescue challenge the first task is to go to timberwolf mountain. How am I supposed to know where to go? Am I missing something?

Hi Evgeny, 

Part of the challenge is pathfinding and navigation, so previous map knowledge will come into play. :)

One hint, if you want it:

Timberwolf Mountain can only be reached through the Pleasant Valley region

11 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hi Evgeny, 

Part of the challenge is pathfinding and navigation, so previous map knowledge will come into play. :)

One hint, if you want it:

Hidden Content

Thanks. So map knowledge is required. Is it true for all challenges? If so, I think I will play just the sandbox mode.

I would prefer to play this challenge if I had some kind of textual instruction. For example, go north-east X km until frozen river, then west until power station, and so on. This way I would know where to go, while at the same time I'm still exploring and surviving, when each step can bring surprises.

When I know the map enough, this game will lose it charm for me. I don't want to speedrun familiar places. I'm bad in orientation, so the game is still well replayable after many survival attempts in sandbox. :) 

3 hours ago, Evgeny said:

Thanks. So map knowledge is required. Is it true for all challenges? If so, I think I will play just the sandbox mode.

I would prefer to play this challenge if I had some kind of textual instruction. For example, go north-east X km until frozen river, then west until power station, and so on. This way I would know where to go, while at the same time I'm still exploring and surviving, when each step can bring surprises.

When I know the map enough, this game will lose it charm for me. I don't want to speedrun familiar places. I'm bad in orientation, so the game is still well replayable after many survival attempts in sandbox. :) 

Sadly , yes , map knowledge is required for all the challenges available :/ 

7 hours ago, Evgeny said:

I could post you the entire map of all regions if you want.

On 9/2/2016 at 9:20 PM, Evgeny said:

I think the challenge games in sandbox where added for those more experienced players already playing Sandbox Mode who where getting bored with the same old.

So Yes you need experience to place the challenges.

9 minutes ago, nicko said:

I think the challenge games in sandbox where added for those more experienced players already playing Sandbox Mode who where getting bored with the same old.

So Yes you need experience to place the challenges.

Yes, I can understand this. Then maybe it shold be specified in game before challenges start.

22 hours ago, Evgeny said:

Yes, I can understand this. Then maybe it shold be specified in game before challenges start.

I agree with you maybe it should for those new to the game / sandbox.

Also don't forget this game is still in Alpha mode, so many changes will more than likely be made based on community suggestions or not.

22 hours ago, Evgeny said:

I agree with you maybe it should for those new to the game / sandbox.

Also don't forget this game is still in Alpha mode, so many changes will more than likely be made based on community suggestions or not.

If you want to play both a challenge mode and the sandbox @Evgeny you could always try the Nomad challenge. It's a fairly simple challenge (survive 10 days in 5 specific locations) and there's no time crunch to find them. That way you have time to learn the map while also working on your completion progress.

14 minutes ago, cekivi said:

If you want to play both a challenge mode and the sandbox @Evgeny you could always try the Nomad challenge. It's a fairly simple challenge (survive 10 days in 5 specific locations) and there's no time crunch to find them. That way you have time to learn the map while also working on your completion progress.

Thanks, I'll try this one.

I agree with  @cekivi and @Greenglades . Whiteout and Nomad don't require map knowledge.

The first is about gathering a lot of stuff, you would only need to find Quonset Gas Station, which is where you need to stockpile all that stuff. This adds to the vanilla experience a time limit which makes things rushy. 

I really don't get the nomad challenge. It must be because I'm always on the move. Can't remain in the same place for more than a couple of weeks. Call it region fever :D

23 hours ago, cekivi said:

It's 3 days in each one of the ~15 locations. :P
I found Nomad challenge to be the hardest one XD (Since all the other can be completed it ~3-9 days)
if you don't have a map, you'll probably spend ~200 days (or more) to finish Nomad instead if ~50 days. Goodluck!
I recently completed it again in 50 days without the use of a map, but only because i completed it once with a map before. (I keep making the mistake of having 2.9 days in the first to last location, so i have to travel all the way back, i think it might be a glitch but i can't be certain.)
But like some people already said, it doesn't requires map knowledge or a map, if you don't mind spending countless hours searching for that one freaking basement somewhere....
Whiteout is by far the easiest in my opinion, and it's true, you don't have to leave CH even if your luck on loot is bare minimal.

Region fever @Ohbal? Seems like Nomad challenge would be very good for you then seeing as you only need to stay 10 days MAX in a region (3x3 and 1 day for travel)
Nomad challenge difficulty can be exploited a bit though, by not staying the full 3 days in one location but for example only 1.5 days, so you'll have to eventually return there to finish the job but some locations you have to stockpile food/supplies in to bring to other locations, so you don't have to waste time looking for food outside said location.
I used the barn for my stockpile location, knowing i'd come back here atleast 3 times it was no use to stay there for the full 3 days at once.

Here's the route i take: (and it's from the top of my head so don't kill me if i missed a location)
Asterix means i visit the location multiple times thus i don't stay the full 3 days there at once or i'll end up with 3+ days.
With this tactic you can travel very light.
Farmhouse->Barn*->rural store*->The watchtower->Barn*->Skeeter ridge->Mountaineers hut (tmw)->Barn*->Rural store-> Cinder hills Coal Mine->
(Coastal Highway)
The watchower->Gas station*->crumbling highway basement*->
(Desolation Point)
Old church-> Lighthouse->Crumbling highway Basement*->
(Back to Coastal Highway)
Gas Station*->
(Off to Mystery Lake)
Upper/lower Dam-> Watchtower-> The hunters cabin in the back -> the Cabin by the lake.

I don't think i missed one, so that would be 15 locations, heh i was correct all along :D

~Hatchet

15 hours ago, cekivi said:

Hey @Hatchet: Just to avoid spoilers you should hide your strategy so that forum readers who want to try the challenge blind don't accidentally see it.

I agree, but i can't.
Unless someone reminds me how because due to this forums great interface and the oh so user friendly foundation it is build on,  i keep forgetting how....
Edit: Quoting someone their post with the spoiler tags doesn't even help, /facepalm x5

~Hatchet

Archived