Story Mode Progress: August Update

Admin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rifleman said:

The only weak ice in the game is the map limits.

will their be weak ice in story mode? (Not map limits ice that kills you instantly.)

That's a little bit off topic but no. It's a good mechanic to have at the borders of the map but it's not fun per se or would make sense conceptually in other places. And there's no point to have death connected to it, in TLD dying without notice it's actually very difficult, only a big fall can kill you and that's just for coerence.

Anyway the weak ice mechanic works very well, I've experienced it and the fire recovery aspect is cool.

13 minutes ago, DenverDad said:

Just an FYI guys, when I try to share this story on Facebook the link won't work. The url I share is this:

But when clicked users end up here instead:

http://hinterlandforums.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F12358-story-mode-progress-august-update%2F

Great update btw!

Thanks for the heads up. We've noticed this in the past. If you share it using this URL shortener,  https://goo.gl/ it should link directly from Facebook to the update post here on the forums instead of just the forum index.

:coffee:

Wow - impressive update!  Since I've been spending most of my time in the sandbox - I'm really looking forward to a "better looking" world environment than anything else right now. :)  

[As a level designer] the first thing I thought of when I saw a picture of the interior update inside the dam was "I hope they'll add small invisible walls around certain objects so the player doesn't get stuck" [which happens quite often around the current sandbox/world].

Keep up the excellent work!  Can't wait to see what led up to the event... :)

Sorry if I missed this but when does this patch actually hit? Later today? *wink wink*

Out of curiosity do you guys use the agile method for developing this game? I work in web design and your approach to laying a strong foundation with incremental improvements strikes me as very "agile" feeling. :)

3 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I can't speak to this aspect of Story Mode specifically. 

I was just pointing out you can already get your clothes wet. Naturally, many players avoid weak ice all together in the game currently and might not have realized this mechanic was in the Sandbox Mode. 

Are you interested in weak ice that kills you instantly? :coffee:

I'm prefer if there is a chance for ice every time you step on it. 

And no I'm not interested in instant death from ice.

58 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

And no I'm not interested in instant death from ice.

Ditto. It should be a risk but a manageable one. Even falling through a river isn't instant death. A harder struggle yes but most rivers seen in the game are shallow (you'd hit bottom) or fairly wide so the current should be manageable.

7 hours ago, Pillock said:

Not the type of missions I was expecting, but intriguing nonetheless.

I second this. I was quite surprised in seeing a fetch quest in TLD, of all places. But (a) it might as well be a placeholder, or (b) we find Jeremiah badly hurt and there's not much else we can do but fetch food, water and survival tools for him. ("That's a lot of blood. Are you hurt?") So it really makes sense. I only wonder whether we have the choice to assault and finish him instead of helping, or perhaps even abandoning him. ("Will you be saviour or survivor?")

On 8/25/2016 at 5:02 PM, cekivi said:

Spelling mistake on mission requirement: Says old man's bear dressings as opposed to old man's beard dressings.

Who says it's a mistake?  I like the idea that we now have to craft outfits for the bear.  It's the only company we have out here in the wilderness.  I can see the tea parties now...

Thank you for always keeping me updated on all the new information that makes me spark with excitement each time! 

Hinterlands crew, you amaze me on how awesome you all are with communicating with your ever growing community, so thank you for keeping in contact so we know what's going on. 

Seriously though... Even if it's the little things that are tweaked or talked about I get ecstatic and even though this is just a game, I look forward to playing it after a stressful day of studying and work. I hope the new updates come out real soon!!

BIG FAN! :coffee:

On 26/08/2016 at 5:53 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

I can't speak to this aspect of Story Mode specifically. 

I was just pointing out you can already get your clothes wet. Naturally, many players avoid weak ice all together in the game currently and might not have realized this mechanic was in the Sandbox Mode. 

Are you interested in weak ice that kills you instantly? :coffee:

Maybe not, killing instantly is maybe too much. But I wish weak ice more often danger than the maps limit. But perhaps, weak ice will be more often when season's gameplay, especially summer, will be there ?

1 hour ago, togg said:

What's the point of having part of the map that are a danger for themselves? It just seems annoying to me :(

Say if you had random bits of Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway as 'weak ice' it would give you something else to think about - make it harder to avoid wolves, give a decision about whether to take a risk or not?

The main point for me is this: if there are mechanics in the game that deal with having wet clothing and having to dry them out to maintain warmth, why restrict that hazard to areas of the map where there's no point in going in the first place? It would add an interesting dynamic to the gameplay, even if it wasn't just applied to when you fall through the ice - why not have snow causing wetness, especially to non-waterproof clothes like jeans and trainers?

The new clothing UI screenshot actually hints at this, come to think of it: there does seem to be wetness indicators for clothing items, as well as separate warmth measures for different parts of the body. This can only be good if it is indeed the case.

15 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I'm not a fan of yellow grass. It break the orginal white/black ambiance. I'm wondering if all the future improvement of texture/HD/environnement addings will not break this simple ambiance

You'd be surprised though. In places with high winds it's quite common for yellowed grass to poke through the snow since the wind blows it off before it accumulates. I find it to be quite atmospheric.

2 hours ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

I have been saying since forever that I literally want more parts of the maps that are dangers for themselves, Avalanches, falling trees, weak ice. No more furry zombies. :P

Maybe I understand, you want new challenges. For me I'm already having to deal with the basic problems when outside, I'm also looking for the entrance to TWM sooo ^^

But if the team do it right I suppose it would be good. But it's not on the timeline right?

I bought this game with zero interest in Story Mode.  I tend not to like being forced to experience someone else's vision.  For that reason I have tended to play strategy games that give me more freedom to do my own thing (the earlier Total Wars, the Civilization series, Paradox games, etc.).  But, after getting back into the sandbox after an 8 month absence, and seeing how often Hinterland hits the nail on the head (not always, of course), I cannot wait for the next update and ultimately Story Mode.  I check in here everyday just to see if there are updates.  I'm like an 8 year old kid in (what I hope is) early December.  

Archived