Ten facts about you

Wastelander

3 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

You are now my friend and my go-to source for these topics aside history. No, you don't get a say in this ;)

As long as it is about Classical Architecture, 18th c. French Painting, Pauline Theology, or Early Islamic History, you're probably ok - otherwise, I'll probably be making something up. :D

As for Mags - it's hard to tell without identifying way too much about who I am.  The details are what make it a great story, and I can't give all those.  Short version:  I once streaked within about 60 feet of her.  I like to think she smiled.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Thurman Merman said:

As long as it is about Classical Architecture, 18th c. French Painting, Pauline Theology, or Early Islamic History, you're probably ok - otherwise, I'll probably be making something up. :D

Dude/Gal/Whatever you identify as, this is LITERALLY the skillset I need in the Pen&Paper RPG I'm currently writing. Expect a PN in the coming days.

1 minute ago, Thurman Merman said:

No worries.  As Aristotle said, "all paid employment absorbs and degrades the mind."

Seems to be the motto of Germany right now...

In order not to derail the thread and not to discourage new or returning posters, let us please move our conversation to PM, alright?

11 hours ago, Felli said:

I'll pitch in I guess, this sounds like fun!

1. I was born in Newfoundland, live in Ontario and can say I've been from Sea to Sea here.

2. I own a chinchilla.

3. I grew up with and still have severe ADHD!

4. I learned how to program the Commodore 64 from my Grandma when I was little! (She started my gaming early!)

5. I am trained as a Jeweler. (Goldsmith)

6. I write stories as a hobby.

7. I'm allergic to spiders!

8. I have a skill called perfect tonal recall. I can hear a melody and sing it back to you almost immediately. It also leads me to be able to recall most song lyrics after a single listening or two.

9. I have no favorite genre of music. I love it all. Even in a language I don't know. 

10. I'm a big supporter of a lot of Canadian bands but I will always be partial to Marianas Trench, who I've been a fan of since they began as a tiny indie nobody 15 years ago!

Wait, did you say Margret Thatcher?! How did she see you?

• 4 weeks later...

I might pitch in

1. I'm was born in Australia
  2. I hate bugs (Spiders,cockroaches,worms,ants and much more) if i see one IT'S PROBABLY NOW DEAD i hunt them down for hours until i get em (Very Harsh I know)
  3. My favourite game is The Long Dark (duh) I have been playing it for four months now and my best game is 200 days on voyager I got eaten by a bear that was coming around the corner of a cliff. And my favourite genre of games are survival and horror 
  4. I love writing stories (even though i'm not very good at them)
  5. I own two pugs Rosie who is 7 months and FRANK who is 8 months and a cat called Indi who is 5
  6. My favourite season is Fall because it's neither cold but not to cold and where i live we get no snow we get rain and more rain and more rain...  it never ends
  7. I love skiing and the cold every year i go skiing for two weeks.
  8. I have no clear favourite genre of music i don't mind any of it but I like soundtracks to games.
  9. I would love to live in Canada (even though i've never been there)
  10. I think the some of best jobs to have would be (this is my opinion doesn't have to be yours) Video game reviewer, Youtuber, Actor, Author or Game designer (I love art and drawing and creating designs for things.

So that's things about me if you were bothered to read it.

11 hours ago, skynatasha said:

I might pitch in

1. I'm was born in Australia
  2. I hate bugs (Spiders,cockroaches,worms,ants and much more) if i see one IT'S PROBABLY NOW DEAD i hunt them down for hours until i get em (Very Harsh I know)
  3. My favourite game is The Long Dark (duh) I have been playing it for four months now and my best game is 200 days on voyager I got eaten by a bear that was coming around the corner of a cliff. And my favourite genre of games are survival and horror 
  4. I love writing stories (even though i'm not very good at them)
  5. I own two pugs Rosie who is 7 months and FRANK who is 8 months and a cat called Indi who is 5
  6. My favourite season is Fall because it's neither cold but not to cold and where i live we get no snow we get rain and more rain and more rain...  it never ends
  7. I love skiing and the cold every year i go skiing for two weeks.
  8. I have no clear favourite genre of music i don't mind any of it but I like soundtracks to games.
  9. I would love to live in Canada (even though i've never been there)
  10. I think the some of best jobs to have would be (this is my opinion doesn't have to be yours) Video game reviewer, Youtuber, Actor, Author or Game designer (I love art and drawing and creating designs for things.

So that's things about me if you were bothered to read it.

Welcome to the forums! Glad you found your way here, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy your stay :coffee:

When it comes to writing, all I can tell you is those few things, hope they help you:

• Know your own story. I frequently break this rule myself, and I regret it later on. Y'know, reality is stranger than fiction because fiction needs to make sense.
  • Practice. As with all things, it all comes down to practice. 'Talented' writers do not exist, at least in my opinion (which is debatable I guess), just people who spent more time doing it.
  • There's only one person who has to like your story, and that's you.
  • Tropes and cliches exist for a reason. Use them wisely and bury them under a layer of uniqueness. A 'typical' character so to speak is easily relatable, but with just a pinch of 'something else' they become unique.
  • Get inspiration from real life: In my current fanfic, The Longest Dark, most main characters are based off of either historical persons, people I've met or a combination thereof.
  • And finally: Ignore this advice or parts of it if you don't like it. Writing is a very personal thing - a piece of your soul you might say - and you should never ever let someone else dictate what you do with it. Hope to see some of your writing on here soon! ^_^

Oh, and I totally agree with you on fall being an awesome season. It's hitting Germany right now, after the first half of september was ridiculously warm. Maybe it's because I was born in fall, but I just love crunchy leaves, the smell of fresh rain and the cool air that comes with it. Also the perfect season for some of my favorite foods! :D

So, thank you for your introduction, and I do hope to see you around in the forums. Things might get a little heated sometimes, but everyone on here is a good person at heart. Enjoy your stay! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

1: I was born in Nottingham England. Robin Hood's Hood.

2: I live in the California desert in a small community.

3. I met James Cameron during Acting Classes through my writing in His Terminator Universe.

4.James Cameron taught me everything I know about screenwriting so he is my Screenwriting Godfather.

5. Because of this I was asked to write a draft for Terminator 5 when Justin Lin was (momentarily) attached to the project.

6. I'm a Pastor's Kid. (Yeah I'm 40 but once a PK always a PK).

7. I'm an Archer.

8. My first indie film is hitting at the end of this month online and on BR/DVD.

9.I will always be a self-taught Soccer goalkeeper. Because of this none of my fingers are straight.

10: Though I've lived in the U.S. all my life...my British accent becomes thicker the later I'm up..

Just now, Wastelander said:

That's great, congratulations! Do you wish to share the title with us potential customers? ;)

Unless the director...who happens to be a very good friend changes the title...it will be called The Thief in The Night.

The film was shot back in 2012-ish on a shoestring budget and no one got paid for it. Truly the whole thing was a passion project. Due to technical problems (hard-drive failed and we lost the data for years) we are just getting it packaged up now. IN the meantime we shot extra footage, and re-recorded old dialogue and recorded new lines. We also recorded new live musicians on piano and violin to mix with the original score. We are very hesitant to actually announce a wide release date yet in case something comes out of nowhere and cripples things again.

Here's a picture of me from the film.

A dangerous moment for all involved.

MeinTTiTN.jpg

Haven't seen this thread until now, shame on me :D So here we go:

1. I too cut my hair myself, 2mm head and beard to be precise - but only once every two months or so

2. I speak Swiss- and German-German, English and Polish

3. During the warm months I'm either canoeing or trick kiting (google it if you don't know what it is ;)), from fall to spring I go snowboarding, though no longer as much as I'd like to

4. I am a huge Death Metal Fan, Cannibal Corpse for life (just the best band ever walked this earth, period.).

5. All year when the sky's clear and dark I take out my telescopes and marvel at the wonderful universe we live in

6. My philosophy of life is largely based on Unix

7. I am a passionate Magic the Gathering player, just recently rediscovered my love for it with Magic Duels (free to play, how awesome), sometimes I'm also a passionate chess player ;)

8. I love American Football (GO PANTHERS!!!) which is rather unusual for someone living in Switzerland

9. I am chronically sleep deprived because there's so much fun stuff todo and stupid God made the day only 24h long

10. I secretly wish to live in a post-apocalyptic world where my family and I survived and all infrastructure is intact (Last Man on Earth anyone?). Might explain why I love TLD so much :D

im gonna go once more, if i may! my life isnt all that interesting, but i do love sharing it with anyone who cares :D

1. i'm a huge stephen hawking fan. when i was young i got interested in astronomy and discovered stephen hawking and his theories on the universe. he's actually inspired me so much that i once heavily considered a career in astronomy! the unknown universe interests me more than anything in (or out of) this world :P

2. i'm paranoid. the other day, the power shut off at work for like a minute. i was washing dishes at the time and i just sat there thinking to myself "yep. this is it. the quiet apocolypse. time to see how far i will go to survive."
then the power came on. thank god xD

3. i hate fallout 4. i spent years working myself up for it. i got so excited, just to be disappointed xD
have i said this already?

4. i drink coffee. lots of coffee. LOTS OF COFFEE.

5. the fact that i cant play no mans sky on my xbox one literally depresses me.

6. i have a fully fledged plan for the zombie apocalypse. i've been working on it since i was like 12 years old. it actually made me very happy when i discovered that a co-worker has the exact plan i do :D

7. my favorite singer is Ivan Moody. my favorite guitarist is Eddie Van Halen.

8. i've snuck a lot of food from work. im probably part of the reason our profits arent doing so well nowadays.
hey, its technically not stealing if youre the one slaving over it xD

9. since i started playing the long dark, i have a much different outlook on cattail. every time i see some around here, i lick my lips... i also get nauseous when i see a granola bar. screw those things.

10. i love bears. bears are my favorite animal. i literally want a pet bear. a pet polar bear to be precise. but i'd settle for a grizzly.

If y'all are doing it several times, here I go again because boredom and it's my birthday tomorrow and I get to do what I want :P

• I drove an APC once. It's fun but those old russian APCs could use a better suspension.
  • I honestly believe that alien life forms exist. Not necessarily in our galaxy though
  • I homebrew pen&paper RPGs. My very first project, a Sci-Fi horror/political thriller/military RPG called Vacuum, was finished in 2008. Between than and now I have completed my setting called 22nd Century Grotesque, which goes more into Science-Fantasy (mages on Mars ftw), a rules-light system to play with conspiracy theories and am currenty working, alongside HERETIC mentioned above, on another Sci-Fi game called The Colonies which mixes the Frontier Spirit of American settlers with early, crude space colonization, hence the name
  • Here's the big surprise which nobody saw coming: I like SciFi.
  • I can swear in eight languages
  • I can ask for a beer in five languages
  • I can ask for help in three languages (way to get my priorities straight!)
  • As a child, I almost died - I had a bunk bed I liked to jump around on, fell down once day and almost broke my neck. I got away with a concussion due to a LEGO brick adjusting my skull's position.
  • I like long walks in the rain.
  • I wanna go to space.

1. When I was a girl, I actually behaved rather like a boy. I had almost exclusively male friends, played football and climbed trees. I also refused to wear dresses, strongly disliked horses and decapitated pretty much all dolls given to me. Luckily, my mother was deeply relaxed about all of this and never worried or tried to change me. :normal:

2. I'm a huge Trekkie. And a big Whovian. 

3. I have about 50 pets, but only four of them breathe air!

4. I'm working together with people from 4 different continents and 22 different countries.

5. I once bumped into a moped a few years ago while I was jogging. Ironically, I got away with some bruises whereas the moped driver broke an arm. No, I'm not Luke Cage. xD

6. I'm (partly) Jewish by descent, Protestant according to my ID card and a sceptical, yet extremely tolerant agnostic by conviction.

7. I'm currently working on the creation of a special strain of transgenic mice that allow cell-type-specific genome editing in adult animals with the help of viruses. That's about as cool as real life can get, I tell you!  

8. I once got caught in a pretty big snow slab when I went skiing on a ski route in Austria as a teenager. Luckily, the only thing I lost that day was one of my ski.^^

9. I'm horribly afraid of big flying bugs. Not of spiders, though. Once grabbed a big cross spider and threw it on a particularly brawny friend of mine who totally freaked out, screaming at least three octaves higher than he would usually talk! xD

10. I have many more secrets, but I won't tell you any of them. No Spoilers, Sweeties!:silly:

Okay...

1. My second toe is longer than my big toe. It's a condition called Morten's Toe. Yes, both feet are the same! Jeez. I'm not a freak.

2. I once broke my shoulder, clavicle, ankle and three of my toes, one after the other, in quick succession.

3. I enjoy the occasional single malt whisky.

4. I've used an antique iron cooking pot to my advantage in a physical confrontation.

5. During the above, I inadvertently showered my buddy with shredded goat porridge. He briefly thought the porridge was my brains and feared for my well-being.

6. I was a freelance illustrator for a while, then had a drastic career change.

7. I went out with the chick from Garbage before she was famous. Well, before she was in Garbage.

8. I can moonwalk like a boss.

9. My jaw is slightly offset to one side from being broken, but for some reason you can only see it in a mirror.

10. A dude shot at me once with a no-sh*t, genuine, three hundred-year old flintlock rifle. Missed! Clown.

Archived