Alcohol!

CoureurDeBois

I propose that alcohol (of the harder type, not wine or anything like that) be added to the game with unique properties. I've only played the game for about 5 hours, so maybe there already are, but I haven't found any.

Properties that would distinguish it from other beverages:

-Alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than most other liquids. I know that liquids on the character's person don't melt, and requiring melting of water and liquids you find around the world would make the beginning of the game unreasonably difficult, but perhaps there's something that can be done with this

-Drinking it could act as an emergency painkiller if you are attacked by wolves and lack any "normal" painkillers

-Would result in drunkenness if too much is consumed

-Highly caloric

-High-proof liquor could be used as a low-quality accelerant in an emergency

It's a dumb idea, to be sure, but I figured I might as well pose the idea.

Using strong alcohol to clean your wounds would be cool, but i would not drink alcohol in emergency situations. It will help with your pain, but it will also make your body more susceptible to heat loss(alcohol makes you feel warmer by stimulating your outer skin blood circulation, but that heat is taken from your core circulation, so in truth you are sacrificing your own survivability for comfort), and your judgment is impaired.

Alcohol doesn't really burn that well neither. Unless it is some 80% ethanol moonshine.

I'll admit: I'm not intimately familiar the finer points of alcohol, as it's usually too expensive for me to bother with where I live :oops:

You're right about alcohol's warming effect being counter-productive, but what I had in mind was using it for its effect as a nervous depressant. Not a particularly wise choice, of course, but in a case of desperation, or if safety is within reach and you lack other medical supplies, it would remain an option for those who'd rather chance it than simply die of wolf wounds.

It would be interesting to add to the game, for sure, and for many of the reasons listed above. I imagine it would be rather resilient to condition degrade as it can't really "go bad" if kept in its bottle and "chilled". Using it as a makeshift accelerant/antiseptic/calorie rich pain killer would make it very useful indeed. However, it would also probably suffer from being fairly weighty and rare.

I've thought about this too... In the audio of the plane crash, it sounds like Will is carrying a load of booze and cigarettes. :-)

Alcohol opens up the capillaries, increasing blood flow, but that is dangerous in winter, as it lowers your core body temp.

It also sucks as an accelerant in cold weather. If the alcohol is cold, it won't ignite.

• 4 months later...

I like the idea

maybe like this!? i don't see a reason why there shouldn't be any beer

Beer

+calories

-thirst

+fatigue

+ a little drowsiness (similar to the one you have when on low condition)

Schnaps/hard liquor

+calories (obv less than beer)

+fatigue

+a little drowsiness

can also be used as a antiseptic

Archived