Am I the only one who plays TLD because it's "boring" ?

miah999

Sliders is a great idea, extending game life greatly. And if people will be active about it, then it will come, one way or another.

@miah999 You forget decay rates for various types of items and decay types, eg tools only decay from use instead of having time variable as well.

Skill gain rates. Condition severity/recovery and respawn rates(for both animals and various stuff like sticks).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, cekivi said:

Again, it's a popular idea (custom difficulty) but one that the @Raphael van Lierop has already said they don't plan to support at this time. Mainly because balancing and testing is already difficult enough without the added complication of all the different difficulty permutations

I know, but I don't think they're thinking about custom difficulty right. They should only attempt to balance their own set difficulty levels, the custom one should not be balanced in a traditional sense, as as soon as you begin to change things in the extreme, unbalance becomes the point. I.e. if you set one option to 0 and another to 4 your goal has become to unbalance the game.

After all it's a sandbox, I'd never suggest they use custom difficulty for story mode. I think they're still thinking of the sandbox as a test-bed for story mode when it has obviously evolved into its own thing. So if they plan on keeping it around this issue is going to continue to come up. It is defiantly a subject they should revisit after story mode has released.

On 7/30/2016 at 5:54 PM, miah999 said:

I rarely play on stalker... not that I can't but it just doesn't add anything to the game for me. I'm not here for that challenge, I don't need to be fighting constantly. There are so many other games for that.

I don't know what stalker you're playing, but there really isn't that much fighting unless you deliberately look for it.  Sure there are wolves everywhere, but  you just learn to play around them, there are places the don't spawn, you can mostly avoid them if you want to, or in most cases run away if you do aggro; its hard early on but then you want to get some wolf kills anyway for the skins.. after you're skinned up, you basically kill 1-2 wolves a month.

8 minutes ago, continuity said:

I don't know what stalker you're playing, but there really isn't that much fighting unless you deliberately look for it.  Sure there are wolves everywhere, but  you just learn to play around them, there are places the don't spawn, you can mostly avoid them if you want to, or in most cases run away if you do aggro; its hard early on but then you want to get some wolf kills anyway for the skins.. after you're skinned up, you basically kill 1-2 wolves a month.

Yes, but because wolves are so easy to avoid or fight they become very tedious. I can play on Stalker and I do enjoy the weather and loot mechanics but I imagine I'm going to go back to Voyager simply because the tedium of the wolves do not make for a fun game.

Just now, cekivi said:

Yes, but because wolves are so easy to avoid or fight they become very tedious. I can play on Stalker and I do enjoy the weather and loot mechanics but I imagine I'm going to go back to Voyager simply because the tedium of the wolves do not make for a fun game.

Oh I completely agree, the high wolf numbers don't improve the gameplay experience at all.  They just add a level of annoyance.  I'm hoping they find other ways to enhance the difficulty.  

I do however still prefer to play on stalker because aside from the wolves the game is closer to what i'm looking for in stalker.

1 minute ago, continuity said:

Oh I completely agree, the high wolf numbers don't improve the gameplay experience at all.  They just add a level of annoyance.  I'm hoping they find other ways to enhance the difficulty.  

I do however still prefer to play on stalker because aside from the wolves the game is closer to what i'm looking for in stalker.

Good point ^_^

On 4.8.2016 at 0:34 AM, continuity said:

I still have high hopes for the most dangerous variety of wildlife Hinterland can add - the one that walks on two legs and has a gun ;) 

You're not the only one. I play it just for the fact it doesn't have everything thrown at you. I'll play the full story mode when it releases, but for now I'm content to explore the world and create my own stories around the circumstances. :)

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

I still have high hopes for the most dangerous variety of wildlife Hinterland can add - the one that walks on two legs and has a gun ;) 

Which is the exact opposite of what I would like :D

Add in sweat, exhaustion making you over sleep, and frostbite on fingers/toes and you'll have more than enough challenge from mother nature alone :winky:

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

Which is the exact opposite of what I would like :D

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

Add in sweat, exhaustion making you over sleep, and frostbite on fingers/toes and you'll have more than enough challenge from mother nature alone :winky:

These things I'd like to see though! Although frostbite would have to veeeery carefully balanced - if I recall correctly, frostbite can eventually lead to the complete loss of fingers/toes, correct me if I'm wrong. That could, possibly, be a pretty cool mechanic (if we can get permanent bonuses we could maybe also get permanent penalties), but a lot of players probably won't like it. Then again, I'd like to see what Hinterland does with it. 

Frostbite is in the road-map I think, so it's defiantly something Hinterland is thinking about. 

I agree that the majority of the sandbox's challenge should come from the environment.

And I think your right that most players would be unhappy about the idea of a permanent disability, heck a few are unhappy about the permanent bonuses. 

6 minutes ago, miah999 said:

Frostbite is in the road-map I think, so it's defiantly something Hinterland is thinking about. 

I agree that the majority of the sandbox's challenge should come from the environment.

And I think your right that most players would be unhappy about the idea of a permanent disability, heck a few are unhappy about the permanent bonuses. 

I am unhappy about the feat system as it is now - if they didn't carry over different sandboxes, it'd be cool, but right now this feels to gamey for me.

And yeah, the sandbox should be more of a Survivor vs. Wild thing, maybe with very rare NPCs that aren't inherently hostile. Maybe one or two per sandbox, living in prepper caches or something. 

I'm still undecided on the current feats system. As I haven't even come close to completing any of them, I feel it's unfair to make a judgement on something I have yet to experience.

As for the NPCs, I just don't know, I really wish they give some custom difficulty settings, if NPCs turn out to be really game changing, I'd like to be able to turn them off. But again I will reserve judgment until I see them in game.

3 minutes ago, miah999 said:

As for the NPCs, I just don't know, I really wish they give some custom difficulty settings, if NPCs turn out to be really game changing, I'd like to be able to turn them off. But again I will reserve judgment until I see them in game.

This War of Mine did great with it's "Write my own story" gamemode - you can make things incredibly easy or ridiculously impossible for yourself. So yeah, customizable difficulty works great. 

6 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Although frostbite would have to veeeery carefully balanced

And we may need special temperature model for each body part. If you have no shoes - frostbite shortly after you try to walk on snow or ice, no gloves/mittens with strong wind and frost - frostbite, no scarf - frostbite. 

Now you do not need to pay much attention to protecting every part of you body while total bonus from the clothes is enough no matter the temperature and wind. It is the thing good to have fixed.

I am strongly for separate model !!!

6 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I am unhappy about the feat system as it is now - if they didn't carry over different sandboxes, it'd be cool, but right now this feels to gamey for me.

And yeah, the sandbox should be more of a Survivor vs. Wild thing, maybe with very rare NPCs that aren't inherently hostile. Maybe one or two per sandbox, living in prepper caches or something. 

If one or two for the whole sandbox, not for each map and not initially hostile (may depend on chosen difficulty) - as we have some prepper`s caches - it is good to have some preppers to. So, I`m rather in. 

And if we have the Bear challenge, why not the hostile human one. Like some mortal enemy or unbelievable maniac. It will suit fine for those who want to struggle against " the most dangerous variety of wildlife Hinterland can add - the one that walks on two legs and has a gun". For others there is an simple option  not to start such challenge.

6 hours ago, miah999 said:

The compromise variant may be to have some NPC maps and some maps without NPC.

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

The compromise variant may be to have some NPC maps and some maps without NPC.

Maybe, but I don't see the current maps as separate entities, you can pretty easily move between them.

And one of the design goals is eliminate the loading screens between areas.

Whether or not folks like the sandbox NPCs will probably depend on what they do.

If they make survival easier all the folks clamoring for killer wolves and shotguns, will likely be disappointed. And personally I don't see how they could do anything but make survival easier, unless you have to feed them, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

But we'll see.

26 minutes ago, Sly said:

And we may need special temperature model for each body part. If you have no shoes - frostbite shortly after you try to walk on snow or ice, no gloves/mittens with strong wind and frost - frostbite, no scarf - frostbite. 

I'll bet you the game already does this, it's just hidden from the player.

4 minutes ago, miah999 said:

I'll bet you the game already does this, it's just hidden from the player.

I doubt that because there is no use for it now. It is rather good old simple initial model is working on now.

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

I doubt that because there is no use for it now. It is rather good old simple initial model is working on now.

True but it's easier to program things like that in from the beginning, a lot of game have lots of unused api hooks and tags. You'd be surprised.

2 hours ago, miah999 said:

True but it's easier to program things like that in from the beginning, a lot of game have lots of unused api hooks and tags. You'd be surprised.

Maybe you are right. But I still doubt such model is working now. 

We'll never know of course, but I can tell you the game already tracks how wet your character is. I know that one for a fact. So more hidden stats are always possible.

But I think we've digressed a bit, what was this thread about again? :D

On 7/30/2016 at 9:54 AM, miah999 said:

I play The Long Dark for the quiet walk through the end times. I rarely play on stalker... not that I can't but it just doesn't add anything to the game for me. I'm not here for that challenge, I don't need to be fighting constantly. There are so many other games for that.

I keep hearing that the game is boring, that you need more things to do, that the animals aren't dangerous enough. And every time I hear these arguments, I feel like those players have missed the point somehow, but that's just an opinion. 

The sandbox is about survival and that's it. It was never really meant to be a stand alone game, and yet for me it has become a favorite. Just walking around looking at the trees and marveling at a peaceful world is all the escapism I need from TLD

These forums are filled with great discussion about things to add to TLD, some of them I even support, but I don't think the game needs to be more difficult, challenging, or engaging. 

Is there anyone out the that feels the same way? I know a lot of you probably disagree, and that's fine. I want everyone to find something to love in this game.

I only play for a week or 2 after an update then I get bored. Anyhow, I do love this game. I wonder if theres anyway to hook a player more? Everything's awesome but you don't get hooked for long. 

On 2016-08-06 at 1:53 PM, miah999 said:

We'll never know of course, but I can tell you the game already tracks how wet your character is. I know that one for a fact. So more hidden stats are always possible.

But I think we've digressed a bit, what was this thread about again? :D

Careful discussing anything that may be considered a hack. Delving into and sharing source code is against forum policy.

Archived