(Poll) Thoughts on carrying capacity?

strigon

Thoughts on carrying capacity? (Poll)  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm constantly near or above the carrying capacity in this game. I'm not saying this is necessarily a problem, but it does make that mechanic one that's quite close to my heart - but it's also one that seems quite simple, for the moment, and it could certainly be improved.

So, I set up a quick poll to see how everyone feels about the current mechanic, and offered a few opinions for tweaks. Me, myself, I'd like to see the capacity either slightly increased or unaffected entirely, but I'd also like to see harsher penalties for carrying too much. Maybe a chance of stumbling or tripping, for example?

From what (little) I know of survivalism, I also understand that properly distributed weight is much easier to carry. Should we, then, have ways to increase this load? Things like better backpacks, vests with pockets, and the like? I think of this because having a high-quality backpack is extremely important. As it stands, you can sleep a bearskin rug into oblivion, tear dozens of coats to tatters and wear leather-soled boots down to nothing dozens of times, and still carry that same backpack with you. Having some variety in backpacks - some sturdier than others, some easier to carry, and the like - and the same variety in clothes would, in my opinion, be a great addition. Currently, clothing is very linear - the moment you find an expedition parka, you're throwing it on, and you only remove it when it's in shreds or you have a wolfskin coat. Having some clothing add to your carrying capacity would allow for more clothing to be useful, and not immediately torn into cloth to repair your outfit.

So, thoughts?

I dont know about you guys, but the average person cant carry 30 kg around and travel the amount your character in game can. Its not an issue of too low carrying capacity, but rather an issue of inventory management. 

If you dont plan on leaving your home base for the night, dont bring more than a couple of energy bars and stuff you wont need. 

However, I am up for being able to find other backpacks so you can drop yours and run away. 

Also a sledge would be nice to increase as well. 

But your base characters carrying capacity stat should not change at all.

An average person can easy carry over 30 kilos, including clothes, without much trouble. And if were talking experienced survivalist, then even double that wont be that much trouble, because person have both physique and understanding of how to pack efficiently.

Current system is way 2 simplistic and without any way to increase carry capacity. Both could use a some work.

I meant 30 kg in deep snow and on long treks.

Perhaps a simple way to compromise is to find a gun sling or something to make the rifle less taxing. Cause thats usually the heaviest item in inventory. But also if you drop all your firewood youll notice you can carry a lot more too.

Firewood and rifles are the main thing. 

Another compromise is to make worn clothes weigh nothing, since they wouldnt be encumbering you except the main overlayer.

Half the rifle weight when finding a sling eliminate the clothing weight, and simply carry less food and wood. it'd be golden.

12 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Perhaps a simple way to compromise is to find a gun sling or something to make the rifle less taxing. Cause thats usually the heaviest item in inventory. But also if you drop all your firewood youll notice you can carry a lot more too.Firewood and rifles are the main thing. Another compromise is to make worn clothes weigh nothing, since they wouldnt be encumbering you except the main overlayer. Half the rifle weight when finding a sling eliminate the clothing weight, and simply carry less food and wood. it'd be golden.

This.

It has the potential to confuse the attentive among the new players, but well... there're already many things in this game that make the usual FPS player scratch his head.

Unfortunately, I've got the impression it'd be non-trivial to code the gunsling, since the game's items don't seem to be ready to be attached one to each other.

2 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

This.

It has the potential to confuse the attentive among the new players, but well... there're already many things in this game that make the usual FPS player scratch his head.

Unfortunately, I've got the impression it'd be non-trivial to code the gunsling, since the game's items don't seem to be ready to be attached one to each other.

Find rifle sling, open crafting menu, 'craft' Rifle with Sling. Just like adding a hook to a fishing line.

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

Find rifle sling, open crafting menu, 'craft' Rifle with Sling. Just like adding a hook to a fishing line.

And harvesting the "gunslinged rifle" would yield a gunsling and a rifle? Hmm. A bit awkward, but a very ingenious solution.

Just now, Hiemalis said:

And harvesting the "gunslinged rifle" would yield a gunsling and a rifle? Hmm. A bit awkward, but a very ingenious solution.

Something like this, yes. I agree that my idea isn't necessarily the best, but I believe it's the simplest.

I think the weight system is just right as it is, one change i would like though is backpacks.  This wouldn't increase carrying capacity in anyway, or alter the penalties, but would apply extra limits so if you have a small backback maybe you can only carry worn items + 10kg.  A medium back pack worn items + 20kg, a large backpack worn items plus 30kg. largest backpack worn items plus 40kg.  Though you would still get the same penalties at 30kg+ (inc clothes), you just wouldn't be able to overload your self more than the backpack capacity would allow.

Plus of course you then have the possible mechanics of dropping your backpack to run away, or having different gear in different backpacks, hauling your backpack up a cliff on a rope etc..

Ive always felt that the carry system in this game needs an overhaul. Allowing a character to pick up however much they want just isnt right, even if it does eventually keep you from moving. How much you can carry is more dependant on size of items than weight, honestly. I mean sure, a sleeping bag doesnt weigh much, but it takes up a lot of space in a pack. Firewood? Have you carried an armload of firewood? Forget putting 12 or 15 sticks of it in a backpack, thats just preposterous. Please check out THIS:  

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

I'm talking of slots

Inventory tetris like Sir you're being hunted? It has its place, I don't think thats this game though.  Perhaps a more sophisticated system like Dayz SA where each clothing item has storage with inventory tetris, but thats probably over engineered for a game like the long dark which seems to be deliberately keeping mechanics simple.

i believe the character weight is perfect as is, depending on our survivors weight.
according to standard military protocol, carry weight should be half your body weight. its like that to keep down back problems and fatigue. this would mean that my personal carry weight would be a little over one hundred pounds, so apparently im a much larger fella than good ol WIll Mackenzie, who, according to his carry weight in game, weighs 132 pounds :P

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

i believe the character weight is perfect as is, depending on our survivors weight.
according to standard military protocol, carry weight should be half your body weight. its like that to keep down back problems and fatigue. this would mean that my personal carry weight would be a little over one hundred pounds, so apparently im a much larger fella than good ol WIll Mackenzie, who, according to his carry weight in game, weighs 132 pounds :P

Care to share your sources ? And why do military then have bags that can carry 100+ l of content ? Without counting everything else that they carry in addition to it.

Archived