Falconry?? (hunting with eagle) (poll!!!)

alone sniper

falconry  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Scyzara said:

Congratulations for your imagination and creativity, this topic is actually one of the very few ones that haven't been suggested before as far as I remember! 

Thanks! ^_^

1 minute ago, Scyzara said:

It's just a bit too far fetched for my taste that a bushpilot or a doctor would know how to train a falcon

How about find some "trained falcon" ??
for example you see corpse that is beside the tree and there is falcon on tree? (the man was a trainer.) 

by the way thanks for sharing your idea!!!:)

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

Congratulations for your imagination and creativity, this topic is actually one of the very few ones that haven't been suggested before as far as I remember! :big_smile:

As for the suggestion itself, I honestly have to admit I doubt it fits with Will's or Astrid's narrative background. It's just a bit too far fetched for my taste that a bushpilot or a doctor would know how to train a falcon, let alone an eagle or an owl. :winky:

raising an owl is not as hard as you may think... They can eat whole strips of meat shortly after hatching, and there incubation is rather low maintenance compared to other bird, for example, I hatched a robin egg once, they are a pain in the rear to feed. (Every 30 minutes) from sunrise to sunset. I was so frustrated by that stupid bird I gave it away to a vet. Owls, however, learn to do most of there life lessons in as little as 2 weeks. You simply need to feed them, and then, when the time is right, they will learn how to fly, then, soon after, hunt. If a human is imprinted to them, the return a portion of it to the "Mother" that being you. Is it kind of out of place? sorta, is it absolutely impossible? Not at all! :)

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

Congratulations for your imagination and creativity, this topic is actually one of the very few ones that haven't been suggested before as far as I remember! :big_smile:

As for the suggestion itself, I honestly have to admit I doubt it fits with Will's or Astrid's narrative background. It's just a bit too far fetched for my taste that a bushpilot or a doctor would know how to train a falcon, let alone an eagle or an owl. :winky:

Although I respect you position on the matter of what knowledge our characters would have (and somewhat agree), this would be no more far fetched than to say they know how to take scrap metal and turn it into fishing hooks or guts into line. 

Just my 2 cents on the matter; feel free to give me change back.. :D

Maybe you find the already trained animal in a house.  Birds usually have bowl or something with food and water so them still being alive is somewhat realistic depending on how long the area has been void of people.

For the use; I can see them hunting rabbits for you.

Hello All. Just some notes from the north:

• There are definitely eagles in Canada.
  • Eagles, like most predators, are opportunistic. They will eat carrion if they can find it. Why waste the energy hunting if food is readily available?
  • It is unlikely that you can train an owl. The most common falconry birds are hawks especially red tailed hawks for beginners.
  • You'd need to raise a chick/yearling for the best chance of success.

To see this done in fiction I recommend checking out a book/movie that I recommended in another post: "My side of the mountain". ^_^

As for whether this should be in the game... while possible (especially with enough books/trail and error) to become a successful falconer it is not something that's easy to do. The amount of time and effort required would be daunting. Especially when these birds are trained for and most effective with small game so you wouldn't be taking down deer, bear or wolves with them. Maybe as a really, really long term goal but I'd rather have a dog/puppy before a falcon/hawk.

I don't consider it to be a problem to raise an owl (or eagle or falcon) chick, pretty much everyone could do that. The thing is to train them to do anything even remotely useful.

Many people have the wrong imagination that raising a wild animal will somehow domesticate it and turn it into some obedient and eagerly learning companion that understands your wishes and tries to please you like a dog. 

Unfortunately, as e.g. @cekivi has pointed out it doesn't work this way. Undomesticated wild animals (no matter whether we're talking about wolves, owls, bears, rhinos or giraffes here) don't understand human gestures, mimics or voices as good as domesticated animals. Training them to follow even the simplest order like to sit down is very difficult and requires weeks if not months of hard work. No idea how long it would take to train an owl to catch a rabbit (without flying away and eating the prey themselves, I mean) or follow a blood trail for you. Presumably years, given it's possible at all.

Imagine trying to train a cat and then multiply the effort by ten, for cats are already partly domesticated and understand humans at least to some degree.

That's why I find the idea to have an owl doing some meaningful tasks for you quite far-fetched. :winky:

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I don't consider it to be a problem to raise an owl (or eagle or falcon) chick, pretty much everyone could do that. The thing is to train them to do anything even remotely useful.

Many people have the wrong imagination that raising a wild animal will somehow domesticate it and turn it into some obedient and eagerly learning companion that understands your wishes and tries to please you like a dog. 

Unfortunately, as e.g. @cekivi has pointed out it doesn't work this way. Undomesticated wild animals (no matter whether we're talking about wolves, owls, bears, rhinos or giraffes here) don't understand human gestures, mimics or voices as good as domesticated animals. Training them to follow even the simplest order like to sit down is very difficult and requires weeks if not months of hard work. No idea how long it would take to train an owl to catch a rabbit (without flying away and eating the prey themselves, I mean) or follow a blood trail for you. Presumably years, given it's possible at all.

Imagine trying to train a cat and then multiply the effort by ten, for cats are already partly domesticated and understand humans at least to some degree.

That's why I find the idea to have an owl doing some meaningful tasks for you quite far-fetched. :winky:

All well and good, but having the appetite of an obese gorilla is far fetched too. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived