Layers

wcavanaugh

You can have 1 sweater and 1 jacket, I suppose they could add more layers to the system, but it has to stop at some point.

Lies! Twenty layers!

Although, seriously, I would rather see a more robust crafting system where you can craft and upgrade clothing to be more resilient to cold or more forgiving of heat in the summer.

I second this one. Yes it has to stop somewhere, but I can bet you that come winter time I'll be sitting there in my house at 12 oC wearing two jumpers and two pairs of socks thinking "wtf can't this dumb schmuck put on a second jumper and stop freezing him self to death"

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I thought when I found a second thin wool sweater and had to chose which one to wear was: why can't I wear both? Just saying...

So yeah, I would like to be able to wear more layers as well. It does have one obvious downside as well: you deteriorate more clothing at once, so you'll run out of clothes sooner.

I like this idea. The other downside of wearing multiple layers of clothing could be reduced mobility. While you wouldn't feel it wearing two sweaters, wearing five or six pair of pants would make it almost impossible to run. Another thing, why I think devs want you to wear only one of each is how the clothes 'work'. A jacket isn't warming you up on it's own, if that was the case you could melt snow by just placing cloth on it. Instead clothing is locking the air between itself and your skin, while your body is generating heat and warming up the air. When you put multiple layers, you reduce the amount of air locked, and get rid of most isolation. So unless your clothing has a radiator built in - two sweaters don't mean double the warmth.

[...] A jacket isn't warming you up on it's own, [...] Instead clothing is locking the air between itself and your skin, while your body is generating heat and warming up the air. When you put multiple layers, you reduce the amount of air locked, and get rid of most isolation. So unless your clothing has a radiator built in - two sweaters don't mean double the warmth.

Well, not double of course, but notably more. The inner surface of the jacket will always be right up to the surface of the sweater, so if you wear 1 sweater the thickness of insulation will be [jacket thickness] + [sweater thickness], if you wear 2 sweaters it'll be [j.t.] + [s.t]*2. Which in fact means you're adding insulation, not getting rid of it. ;)

Jackets and clothes in general don't just "lock the air", if it would be the only thing needed we could have make them out of polyethylene or rubber for example. The thing that really matter is thermal conductivities of materials of which the jacket is made. If thermal conductivity is high the fibers of material will just quickly transfer the kinetic energy of air molecules to the outside. If they transfer more energy than your body produce in the same amount of time then you begin to freeze.

More layers trap air between each layer, increasing the insulation value. If you have 2 layers, you have X amount of air between those layers. Add another layer in between and you will have less air between layers 1 and 2 and less between 2 and 3, but between 1 and 3 is still almost X amount of air. But having that amount of air split into 2 smaller amounts of air trapped separately will increase the effectiveness of keeping your body warm.

I speak from experience when I say that more thinner layers do a better job of keeping your core temperature up than less thicker layers. I'd chose 5 thin layers over 1 thin (long underwear) and 2 thick layers (sweater and jacket). It also makes it easier for you to adjust to temperature changes or the amount of activity you are involved in. Walking around in a very cold environment you want all your layers on, but once you start chopping fire wood you're going to warm up pretty quick so you may want to shed a layer or two.

Honestly, I think layers are unnecessary in the main game. It's just that in the sandbox our resources are scarce. I found Prepper's Cache (Type E) that has the Premium Coat and Insulated Boots in them. And haven't been cold ever since. I have like +16C from Clothing and +9 against Wind Chill. So probably this will be something that is not required or all that usefull in the main game. Just saying... :)

Honestly, I think layers are unnecessary in the main game. It's just that in the sandbox our resources are scarce. I found Prepper's Cache (Type E) that has the Premium Coat and Insulated Boots in them. And haven't been cold ever since. I have like +16C from Clothing and +9 against Wind Chill. So probably this will be something that is not required or all that usefull in the main game. Just saying... :)

Well, I ques I'm not as lucky as you. I'm on day 14 of my current run and I've been to every location including the prepper's cache, but I didn't find either the cargo pants or the premium winter coat anywhere. With my best clothing on with everything above 80% condition (most above 90%), I have +11 and +7. Trekking around for a few hours will still get met the freezing state... Having one more layer could make the difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have worked on interstate Highways in the midwest in the dead of winter. And what I know from my experience if that you stay away from cotton. It holds moisture against your skin. As a base layer I used silk long underwear. ounce for ounce the warmest natural material on earth. over that I would put medium weight polypropylene long underwear. followed by wool or wool blend pants a wool shirt. A wool sweater and a set of carhartts. with the carhartts your movement is somewhat restricted . layers also allow you to adjust your body temp. so that you don't start sweating. So yes I would like a little more thought put into layering.

This was actually one of the first things I noticed also. You should be able to add double pair of socks and gloves / mittens. I mean com'on, if Lloyd can anybody can..

you probably won't fit into the boots anymore with double socks, and wearing mittens over thick gloves is hardly possible. the gloves ingame aren't thin wool gloves.

This was actually one of the first things I noticed also. You should be able to add double pair of socks and gloves / mittens. I mean com'on, if Lloyd can anybody can..

you probably won't fit into the boots anymore with double socks, and wearing mittens over thick gloves is hardly possible. the gloves ingame aren't thin wool gloves.

So the boots you find are a few sizes too big... Or do all people how lived here happen to have the same shoe size as me? As for the gloves, glove liners could be added to the game.

The company icebreaker specializes in wool cold weather clothing. Here's a quote from their website why they use a layering system:

We’ve adapted merino wool into a system of lightweight layers that give you the same freedom to explore your environment. Wear a next-to-skin layer in warmer weather, then layer up for insulation in the cold.

When Icebreaker garments are layered together, air is trapped in between each fine layer to ramp up the warmth. Your layers lock together like a single lightweight garment.

Right on their front page you can see they have 5 layers for the torso (and 3 for the legs although that's not as apparent):

Underwear, Base layer, First layer, Mid layer, Outer layer

Strangely, pants are grouped under first layer. I would have put them under outer layer, but hey, it's their company.

Anyway, it shows how it makes sense to many people to wear multiple layers in cold weather.

*Phone rings*

Lawyer "Did you know that you can claim back on mis-sold PPI-"

You "Not right now [grunting] bit busy [wolf snarls in background] I call you back"

Lawyer "-you could have thousands waiting in unclaimed-"

You "Not [yells]- right now [snapping of bone, wolf yelps] Right-phew, now what's this about"

Lawyer "you may have been wrongly sold Payment protection insurance-"

You "Look, I have to deal with enough crap from the bastards trying to skin me alive out here, I don't need you guys to do it for them" *slams phone down*

~ this is the best way to deal with cold callers

• 3 weeks later...

Technically, as far as I'm concerned, I'd appreciate a new set of pants instead of multiple layers on top of already existing ones. I'm sure in rural canada wilderness, people would actually have something better than just cotton long john's and jeans. Like we're talking sweatpants and ski-pants for optimum wind/cold protection.

Archived