Hugh Glass

sir ice

Why would he kill you? Hugh Glass in the movie was not a psychopath. He was a grieving father seeking justice for his murdered son in the only way he understood. I don't want my character to start the game with that hanging over my head. That should be my choice as the player, not the game designer's choice.

The memory of the movie is still fresh in my mind. In the end, he didn't kill the guy he was looking for. Instead, he let fate (i.e. the Indian father seeking vengeance for his violated daughter) give the death stroke. 

That said, I do like the idea of finding a note that refers to him. Something along the lines of:

That bear didn't kill me, but not for lack of trying. At least I have his hide to keep warm under while my body heals. Now I have to find food and wood to make fire. It's time to be Hugh Glass if I'm going to survive. 

Actually, in the book, which was way better than the movie, Hugh was kindove crazy. He had no son that was murdered. He just wanted to track that guy and boy down because they took his gun and knife. They violated bushman code. He didn't even care that they abandoned him, just that they took his gear.

His survival is described in much more detail in the book. Some cool tricks to be learnt from that book.

On 7/10/2016 at 1:27 PM, ShawnB said:

Actually, in the book, which was way better than the movie, Hugh was kindove crazy. He had no son that was murdered. He just wanted to track that guy and boy down because they took his gun and knife. They violated bushman code. He didn't even care that they abandoned him, just that they took his gear.

His survival is described in much more detail in the book. Some cool tricks to be learnt from that book.

I just find it amazing that that was a real person. 

Also, the song "six weeks" by Of Monsters and Men is about him.

Hugh Glass's story in the movie is definitely fluffed up a lot, and grossed out pretty effectively.

Though I found a lot of it medically inaccurate to the point where I felt like throwing my hemostats at the screen.

Sure fur traders were attacked by bears! More than one, most likely . . . 

23 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Hugh Glass's story in the movie is definitely fluffed up a lot, and grossed out pretty effectively.

Though I found a lot of it medically inaccurate to the point where I felt like throwing my hemostats at the screen.

Sure fur traders were attacked by bears! More than one, most likely . . . 

The attack by a bear on the historical Hugh Glass was a well documented event. 

In terms of the film, I loved the time I had viewing it (although I may never watch it a second time). It's a strange mixture of history and magical realism, where I found myself scratching my head in disbelief a few times. 

Story aside, as an example of cinematography, it may be one of the best ever.  :durbear:

2 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

In terms of the film, I loved the time I had viewing it (although I may never watch it a second time). It's a strange mixture of history and magical realism, where I found myself scratching my head in disbelief a few times. 

Story aside, as an example of cinematography, it may be one of the best ever.  :durbear:

The light was superb, but Leo does not grow a very good beard...

1 minute ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I enjoyed watching it, too. There were elements that were very realistic, and there were elements that made me go "Ah, come on!"

Overall, though, suspension of belief was not difficult, and oh, yes, the cinematography was awesome. I also loved the silences that formed huge chunks of the dialogue. I think those scenes where Glass was alone were my favorite. You could see him struggling to just live, struggling to bear the pain and keep moving and get warm and fed. Those stretches were very close to what I experience in TLD.

1 minute ago, Docterrok said:

The light was superb, but Leo does not grow a very good beard...

Half the guys in those years didn't!

On 7/10/2016 at 9:00 AM, hauteecolerider said:

Why would he kill you? Hugh Glass in the movie was not a psychopath. He was a grieving father seeking justice for his murdered son in the only way he understood. I don't want my character to start the game with that hanging over my head. That should be my choice as the player, not the game designer's choice.

The memory of the movie is still fresh in my mind. In the end, he didn't kill the guy he was looking for. Instead, he let fate (i.e. the Indian father seeking vengeance for his violated daughter) give the death stroke. 

That said, I do like the idea of finding a note that refers to him. Something along the lines of:

That bear didn't kill me, but not for lack of trying. At least I have his hide to keep warm under while my body heals. Now I have to find food and wood to make fire. It's time to be Hugh Glass if I'm going to survive. 

The killing you thing is simply an aweful joke that I made. Btw hugh glass was a real person. He didn't have a son, fits jerald didn't die. That note sounds good. Maybe a broken musket and a dead bear could be found along with the not tho;)

On 7/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, ShawnB said:

I read the book. Its the best I have ever read in my 14 year old life.

5 hours ago, ShawnB said:

Book and movie I'm sure were fluffed up a lot. I just assume that historically a fur trader got attacked by a bear...at some point...

Read about him. He is the one who needs to be on the American 20 dollar bill. 

Its been a while since i read about him bit if i remember correctly.

In real life he actually caught Jim Bridger, (the young trapper, who grew up to be one of the most famous mountain men), Glass spared his life because he was young and scared. He then went on to find the other guy who ended up being untouchable due to his military status. 

however, he did get his rifle back, hehe.

He also met natives on the way who helped patch him up.

He survived the crawl by eating roots and berries And he fought wolves off a dead animal to eat it. 

Also, the injuries shown in the movie were pretty much acurate too... he was a mess. Just look him up and read about it. Ouch. But yeah the movie was quite different and had some unrealistic aspects. 

Archived