Wild Life

nicko

11 hours ago, alone sniper said:

I like it and i  think we could use some of them as a bait ^_^
and about those birds ... could we use (eagle for example ) as a domestic deer hunter ?
(after searching for a while : I mean falconry) 

That would most likely require to raise the falcon from the egg. However, I think that'd actually make it cooler. It's a long-term investment, and you WILL get attached to that bird. You will brave more dangers just to feed and protect it. You will raise it, and it will hunt for you in return. But even if it didn't, it's a companion.

A companion that sooner or later will die, most likely before you.

Imagine the feels for a second while I go chase off the ninjas cutting onions in my apartment again.

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

That would most likely require to raise the falcon from the egg. However, I think that'd actually make it cooler. It's a long-term investment, and you WILL get attached to that bird. You will brave more dangers just to feed and protect it. You will raise it, and it will hunt for you in return. But even if it didn't, it's a companion.

A companion that sooner or later will die, most likely before you.

Imagine the feels for a second while I go chase off the ninjas cutting onions in my apartment again.

Or orrrr.... Maybe we can find a den of wolves have to "off" the family wolves save for a lone pup and you take it in then as you guys already stated take care of it over a LONG period of time and voila we now have something else to look after, a companion, and potentially help against other wolves (intimidation factor) or help with hunting (chase down deer in case of non lethal rifle or bow shot)

It has been discussed in the past. And i actually contacted an expert.

You CANT domesticate a wild, especially if were talking predator, animal by simply taking a pup from den. It takes several generations. Best bet is to take pup be4 its 3 weeks old, but how you will feed it is any1s guess, and even then were talking habituation.

Taming in general does not make animal friendly(not to mention it takes a lot of time and effort to get even those superficial results), it makes animal merely more tolerant of people. It has its own pros and cons. For starters, animal will not be as fearful of humans(wolves generally flee when they see humans); problem is its still a wild animal and when it will attack(its not "if", but "when") person will have far less time to react. Hell, if wolf(s) attack hes far more likely to join them than to help you, in between option would be that he will simply run away.

And considering that LD wolves are unusually aggressive, im not sure that even habituation option is on the table. Wolves are not dogs by a mile, dont make grave mistake thinking they can be treated as ones.

• 2 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Hello All,

Just a friendly reminder to remain on topic. Red Dawn was a good movie (the original - not whatever the remake was...) but it doesn't really fit into a thread on wildlife additions ^_^

I was suggesting WOLVERINES! 

I remember reading somewhere that the plan is to introduce Moose to the the wildlife of TLD.

I do agree that it does need more wildlife to flesh out the sense of being in the wild. It would be a shame to have a survival game based in Canada not to show off some of the unique animals in the country.

Archived