Start a fire with a torch?

BellamyATL

I got stuck in Timberwolf Mountain today freezing today and I had run out of tinder. I had a torch, though. Why can't a lit torch replace match + tinder needed for lighting a fire? I do not see any downsides to this, as you need a match to light a torch anyways. The only part you are really cutting out is the tinder, which is equivalent or even lesser than a torch IMO. Thoughts?

Would make sense, yeah.

Especially given that now you can light fires without tinder if your skill is high enough. Perhaps it could be balanced by making it so that you need a certain % of the torch's burn-time remaining for to replace tinder, and also completely consume the torch in the process. That way it would be an expensive emergency measure rather than a preferred method.

By the way, you know you can make tinder out of sticks, yeah? Sticks are pretty easy to find on every map, so running out of tinder shouldn't happen very often or for very long.

Would make sense but I don't think we need the game getting easier. Specially if we consider both that eventually you'll get to not need the tinder, and the good advice Pillock just gave:

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

By the way, you know you can make tinder out of sticks, yeah? Sticks are pretty easy to find on every map, so running out of tinder shouldn't happen very often or for very long.

Thanks for the comments. I somehow missed that you can create tinder with sticks. Also, I am not sure how you started a fire with the torch. The process I tried was to light the torch, then going into fire making UI. It would not let me select the torch from what I could tell. Will mess around with this again. I assume I craft tinder with sticks from the radial menu?

1 hour ago, BellamyATL said:

I assume I craft tinder with sticks from the radial menu?

Either on the crafting bit of the radial menu by selecting the tinder plug icon, or in the main inventory by selecting 'harvest' on the sticks.

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

Either on the crafting bit of the radial menu by selecting the tinder plug icon, or in the main inventory by selecting 'harvest' on the sticks.

Thanks! Although it does make me wonder what the point of Birch Bark is. :)

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:08 PM, cekivi said:

Birch bark can be used instead of tinder plugs.

I know what it is for literally, but if there are tons of sticks laying around that can be crafted into tinder, then it kind of makes birch bark redundant.

Archived